Sponsored

Best return fuel system

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Need to x4 your filter/reg/line/ fittings budget. Quality reg and filter will be closer to $350 to $500. Not including fittings/lines.

You have a pump holder, not the best fuel system.
I'd work out your power feed for dual 525. Picked some of the highest draw pumps available. Might consider sizing pumps for your end goal. Will reduce excess draw on the elec system.The single pin in the stock hat is not advisable for 40 to 50amps. Ford provides a single pin for each pump on dual pump setups. And those single pumps are averaging 15amps with no bap. 1x more benefit for gt350/gt500 assembly. Designed for dual pumps not retrofitted.

Id consider a different hat if wanting to stay your path and keep the bottom bucket stock. Will give you more options on wiring and fittings. Getting that 10an bulkhead to fit, seal and leave room for stock line to be used as a return will be tight. There is only so much room under the hat that the plastic is flat/ smooth enough to seal for the bulkhead. A 8an fitting works better here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cbrtrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Need to x4 your filter/reg/line/ fittings budget. Quality reg and filter will be closer to $350 to $500. Not including fittings/lines.

You have a pump holder, not the best fuel system.
I'd work out your power feed for dual 525. Picked some of the highest draw pumps available. Might consider sizing pumps for your end goal. Will reduce excess draw on the elec system.The single pin in the stock hat is not advisable for 40 to 50amps. Ford provides a single pin for each pump on dual pump setups. And those single pumps are averaging 15amps with no bap. 1x more benefit for gt350/gt500 assembly. Designed for dual pumps not retrofitted.

Id consider a different hat if wanting to stay your path and keep the bottom bucket stock. Will give you more options on wiring and fittings. Getting that 10an bulkhead to fit, seal and leave room for stock line to be used as a return will be tight. There is only so much room under the hat that the plastic is flat/ smooth enough to seal for the bulkhead. A 8an fitting works better here.
Yes I agree on the cost which was way off and I was actually thinking it was not even a legitimate post and more of just a promotion of this product. Also two 525s can easily empty that stock bucket under certain situations.

YBLEHSGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple Shelby
Vehicle Showcase
I would choose FORE triple for legit sustained big power.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT 2022 F150
I know that you have some very nice fuel systems available. I’m not doubting any of them.
I don’t think any of them can support 1000 hp on e85 for under $1000.

this kit $200
2 walbro 525 pumps $400
10an hose and fittings $100
Filter and regulator $100
Wiring with Hobbs switch or with a second fpdm $100
Bro...some of those 10AN fittings are like $20-$25 EACH and you will need multiple! I would definitely look at what the vendors like Lethal, JPC, Fore etc are packaging because they include everything and you're actually getting a deal since they have already done the homework and are including the amount of hose you will need, correct fittings etc. If you piece meal this, you will spend waaaaay more. Trust me...and fuel is not something you want to shortcut.

OP
OP

horsepower addiction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
s550
I thought the budget was right on as I already bought everything. The bucket is already installed and everything fit fine. But this was put in a f150 so the mustang might have less room to work with, not sure. On the f150 the stock wiring and fuse are setup for 40 amps. As for draining the bucket empty, I can see scenarios where this could be a problem. I might run one stock and one 525.

we modified the top a little for the wiring

IMG_2889.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
Fore Innovations is the best in town for a reason. I can't understand why people go cheap on the literal lifeblood of the vehicle...

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Most likely due to their pricing. Im also looking into fuel set ups. Sai Li or JPT or the like is all I can see as possible to afford without gouging the pocket

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Fore Innovations is the best in town for a reason. I can't understand why people go cheap on the literal lifeblood of the vehicle...
Because there are drawbacks to systems like Fore, as good as they are. You have to keep the tank at least half full. If you have a weekend cruiser, or track car, great, but if you daily it, and want to run 200 miles to the beach or mountains without stopping every 45 minutes to fill up, Fore isn't the best system out there. Also, if you are interested in cornering with less that 3/4 of a tank Fore can be an issue. You need an actual fuel bucket that will keep the pumps immersed in fuel which Fore, for some reason has neglected to develop.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang

Sponsored

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
Because there are drawbacks to systems like Fore, as good as they are. You have to keep the tank at least half full. If you have a weekend cruiser, or track car, great, but if you daily it, and want to run 200 miles to the beach or mountains without stopping every 45 minutes to fill up, Fore isn't the best system out there. Also, if you are interested in cornering with less that 3/4 of a tank Fore can be an issue. You need an actual fuel bucket that will keep the pumps immersed in fuel which Fore, for some reason has neglected to develop.
That is very true. I was referring strictly to performance aspects and there are certainly drawbacks to the no-bucket design.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Fore was the authority and go to for a very long time. But brush style pumps and naked hanger systems are obsolete at this point.

They're fine for trailer queens and drag cars or the weekend street car that you don't want to do anything more than rip a straight line.

The current and future is brush style pumps, true variable control with full protections against low fuel level starvation, you know, closer to what the OEM performance offers.

In the past that was largely only possible through surge tanks and very expensive PWM controllers and expensive brush pumps. That's just not the case anymore, even at retail.

I pieced together a quiltwork system at the time because no one was willing to invest the R&D and risk into a truly canned offering for S550 mustangs. Lots of people showed interest, I spoke to Fore, Fuelab, Aeromotive, Deatschwerks, Radium, all the major players in the industry. I had to piece mine together because no one was interested. Fast forward and now each of them offer much closer to the modern fuel setup. Aeromotive, Fuelab, DW all offer brush style pump setups now (whereas only fuelab did before). At the time Fore told me you couldn't fit a BKS1000 into an OE hanger/bucket. We now know that's not the case anymore (the newer Radium bucket will house it).

Even Injector Dynamics, who used to charge the price of a kidney has come down on their crazy sophisticated controller system.

But we still find these threads where people parrot old paradigms and even distributors/vendors that we know and love (and have invested in their own Fore style ripoffs) parrot the same old out of date statements. Fore is NOT the best any longer (until he/they start to offer truly variable systems that don't starve at half a tank or lower).

Even at retail prices, I put together a system that has virtually none of the typical compromises with an old brushless "drag" setup. And I didn't have to feature a giant cumbersome surge tank in the cabin with me to do it.

I'll be honest, when I first started posting about this, I got the typical resistance from the whole community. I just didn't want to accept that running triple 20 amp pumps (60 amps) full boogie all the time heating the fuel was the best we could do. I didn't want to accept "don't flog it under half tank." I didn't want to accept fuel starvation for long sweeping left turns. I wanted a 1000 hp+ system that would run on optimal/minimal draw and ramp in when needed (thus not stressing the electrical system and heating the fuel) and I wanted to mash anytime, anywhere at any fuel level. The OLD "Fore style" systems can't do that. Then you'll get the guys who swear you can (you know the type, I've been robbing banks since I was a child and I've never been caught.....those guys).

If you don't care and don't want the hassle or brain damage, buy the old tried and true and live with the drawbacks. We were on the verge of seeing the old brush style pumps phased out completely, but along came electrics. You couldn't GIVE me a brush style cordless drill. They're junk. But we've put up with it for SOOO LONG in the automotive fuel pump realm.

cbrtrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Brushless is definitely the way to go I
I prefer returnless as well but there isn't much innovation anymore. I'm disappointed the companies haven't switched over by now.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Brushless is definitely the way to go I
I prefer returnless as well but there isn't much innovation anymore. I'm disappointed the companies haven't switched over by now.
The problem is the physical distance between the pump and the rails. Just about anything can be smoothed out in the tune (for any surge or pressure dips) but even if you have perfect scaling of the pressure and injector pulse, having flow in reserve (and sending it back to the tank) is the easier/simpler solution than having to hyper accurize the tune through logs to account for the momentary drop (or preload) of the fuel pressure to account for a surge in consumption.

Returnless is simpler, which is why the OEM's went to it and it works fine for OE level power, but when you're talking about huge swings in fuel delivery (like mashing the throttle on a 4 digit power car) your two choices are to preload (i.e. the pump is running at slightly higher duty than the min pressure to account for a slight dip at throttle hit) or you have a momentary dip before the system can ramp and send more. That and fuel unlike water is NOT virtually incompressible. Again, those things can be smoothed out in logs with the tuner, but it's more complex than just setting a pressure regulator and having flow in reserve that's being wasted to the rear.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
I got this set up. It works awesome and I don’t think there’s any fuel system out there close to it for the price. You can use it like stock and pulse with modify, you can run it as a return style. you can run two Walbro fuel pumps and not have to worry about the siphon system, because they already included that in this kit. Works on mustangs and F1 50s.

https://www.spemotorsport.com/products/spe-motorsport-mustang-f150-dual-fuel-pump-insert
This looks interesting..
Sponsored