Best Long Block for FI?

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
Hey guys, I know this topic has been beat to death probably, but I'd appreciate any suggestions on a strong OEM or Aftermarket Long Block.

Just found out one of my timing chains let loose, which leads me to believe there's probably other issues as well.

Might just go the route I've always wanted and go balls out with full race car IDK.

Experiences? What's good, what should I stay away from etc....?

I have a Hellion Sleeper Kit FYI.

Cheers!

I'm off to get drunk now! :crazy:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bullitt69

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
2019, 93 but will consider E85, which would def get me to where I would like to be.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Gen3, make sure you use a block that has the extra 4 knock sensor bosses. You really need to decide on the fuel before specā€˜ing out a long block.

OP
OP
Bullitt69

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
engineermike, well what would you suggest for either fuel option, I am curious since there appears to be a difference, and why?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bullitt69

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
Well, let me elaborate.

With about 7.5 lbs of boost, it made 717 whp and 518 torque.

While this was impressive, it still did "Feel" like where I want it to be?

This is my third Mustang. First was a 91 foxbody with a Vortech, second was a 2009 Bullitt with a Roush M90 maxed with all the goodies, so about 471 whp.

The extra 200 some HP was fantastic, but just didn't give me the "Giggle Factor" I was looking for.

Where do you think I should be? 900+? I really don't know, but hell, if I'm going to spend this kind of $$$ why pussyfoot around you know?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Ok well this is a hotly contested subject so Iā€™ll try to stick to the facts.

If you intend to run 93 octane pump gas then your power will ultimately be limited by knock. Somewhere around 12 psi with a good intercooler at 12/1 compression, adding more boost yields less power due to a reduction in spark timing. That said, if you were only at 7.5 psi, you probably had plenty more room to go up on boost and it still add power. Back of the envelope math says you could go back with a stout short block and factory compression and make over 800 rwhp before knock becomes a limiting factor.

If you want more than that on 93, youā€™re going to have to do one or all of the following: upgrade hpfp and increase gdi blend, lower compression ratio, or reduce charge temp (such as w2a with killer chiller). At least a couple of turbo cars have made astounding numbers using the upgraded hpfp on pump gas due to the detonation suppression associated with GDI. Most 2018+ cals have the GDI blend turned down to about 60-70% sincethe stock pump canā€™t keep up. Thereā€™s a lot of benefit of running 90% GDI like stock. As for compression, the rule of thumb is that every compression number dropped will reduce power by 5% but also allow you to run 4 more psi which yields 80-100 hp. And finally, for every 20 deg you cool the charge temp, you can add about 1 psi, again a rule of thumb.

For e85, the rules change. Itā€™s much easier to make big power due to the inherent detonation resistance. It is true that lowering the compression ratio does actually lower part stresses for any given power level, most leave the compression high, enjoy the improved response, and cross fingers it doesnā€™t break or install stronger parts.

The goals and fuel will determine the compression ratio, and from that your options will be born.

You could also consider 5.0 vs 5.2.

OP
OP
Bullitt69

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
Thanks Guys, you've given me food for thought, much appreciated. Still can't believe the stock block let go after only 300 miles on the Hellion Set up. It was tuned by Lund, etc... I mean people do this all the time and have no problems, I guess I've fallen into a category of one in a thousand of those unlucky souls.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks Guys, you've given me food for thought, much appreciated. Still can't believe the stock block let go after only 300 miles on the Hellion Set up. It was tuned by Lund, etc... I mean people do this all the time and have no problems, I guess I've fallen into a category of one in a thousand of those unlucky souls.
93 octane and 12:1 donā€™t mix. Many get away with it for awhile. Eventually it will bite you.

Timing chains donā€™t break very often so I would think something else caused it. I would look bet it was knock related.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
93 octane and 12:1 donā€™t mix. Many get away with it for awhile. Eventually it will bite you.

Timing chains donā€™t break very often so I would think something else caused it. I would look bet it was knock related.
He had OPG/CS installed (he has another thread on the forum). I'm guessing something wasn't installed properly which caused the chain to fail. I agree that 93 octane isn't he best on these engines, but it should have been ok at low boost.

OP
OP
Bullitt69

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
Wazslow, you're correct - OPG/CS were installed. Mechanic had a hard time finding a puller that would work I recall. Wondering if it was the first he did on an 18, but I know he triple checks everything and follows Ford Manuals for the procedure.

Wow, I just don't see this happening too often here, I'll do a search on it soon though.

OP
OP
Bullitt69

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
Gen 3 Aluminator for SC looks appealing (9.5.1 compression)- kinda pricey though.

Can't find much info on the Predator, is it available yet?
Sponsored