Best High Flow Replacement Cat?

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
I've read that the stock exhaust flow pretty well. Instead of the pain and cost of installing headers, is there a good choice of replacement CATS that would flow well and give more power and torque over just my stock exhaust?

Also, my local Ford dealer has told me that he doesn't mind warranty work on a car with a tune or gears. I have both. He did say he would not work on it if the CATS were missing.
Sponsored

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
I've read that the stock exhaust flow pretty well. Instead of the pain and cost of installing headers, is there a good choice of replacement CATS that would flow well and give more power and torque over just my stock exhaust?

Also, my local Ford dealer has told me that he doesn't mind warranty work on a car with a tune or gears. I have both. He did say he would not work on it if the CATS were missing.

Could probably just take your existing to an exhaust shop and have them hallowed out. So they're not missing and you get a little more of an aggressive tone.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
Great idea! Will I set a code? Not sure if my Lund tune will take care of it. I've hear it would but of course the Lund rep couldn't tell me that without condoning doing something illegal.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Could probably just take your existing to an exhaust shop and have them hallowed out. So they're not missing and you get a little more of an aggressive tone.
But it will stink to high heaven. And if the shop isn't completely clueless will know that the cats don't work.

Depends on your threshold for custom work, there are options. Green cats are popular and Kooks has them as an option for their headers. I had these on my 2016, slightly increased smell with a moderate volume increase. Threw a CEL but I put O2 extenders on and it went away.

There is a European brand that is more expensive but has the best flow rate and weight than any other aftermarket cat I have seen. From what I have read, they do a good job cleaning up as well (European standards for air quality are more strict than ours). For those cats though you have to do your research and do some custom fabing as they don't sell specific cats for specific cars, they product length and diameter units that you have to spec your exhaust to. That is why most folks shy away from them: more work, more cost, and probably small gains.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning

Kooks

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
But it will stink to high heaven
Oh it ain't that bad. I can at least be in the garage for 5 mins before it gets annoying. My former 71 440 cid roadrunner would put you into tears in 37 seconds. And that was with 15 degrees of timing at idle and a stock idle circuit !

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Oh it ain't that bad. I can at least be in the garage for 5 mins before it gets annoying. My former 71 440 cid roadrunner would put you into tears in 37 seconds. And that was with 15 degrees of timing at idle and a stock idle circuit !
Switching to corn smells quite lovely :sun:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Switching to corn smells quite lovely :sun:
Unfortunately no pump E85 here.. either 5 gal pails or 55 gal drums. So I run MS109 on race day. Why do a bunch of upgrades when I can just pour it in and let the short terms trim it out & let the timing do it's thing haha.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
RV6 Performance
All I see is civic/accord stuff. As for getting the HJS converter and reducers, any competent shop with a tig welder should be able to weld them together.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Get a 100 cell converter and weld it in.

50 cell are avalible but only in EU AUS.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
50 cell are avalible but only in EU AUS.
What's the point then ? Might as well just gut the stock ones (with stock headers) or just put a couple 6 " bullet mufflers at the end of the LTH. Neither the 100 or 50 will pass a sniff test (pretty sure a 200 won't either, but I'm not a 100% on that).
Sponsored