Sponsored

Best Drivers Car Competition. GT350 almost wins.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I would think that would make it faster than it showed?
Apparently not. I mean fast for a sedan is not fast for a coupe. Still a driver's race as there's only about a tenth between the two. 1:36.96 for the Jag vs 1:36.83 for the GT350.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
In what world is $140k 911 GT3 money? I mean technically you can order one at $143,000, but good luck finding a stripped out GT3 for sale anywhere. Here in Atlanta used 2018's are selling for $167k.

Also the new 992 Carrera S is apparently as fast around the track as the 997.2 GT3 RS was back in the 2012 range.
Just going off the prices on Porches website. Yes, a GT3 at $145K or so would not have many options but that is where Porsche gets you. Load up a base 911 and you are well into the $120K+ range.

Deprecation is steep on those types of builds unless you get a more limited car.

Regardless I am not loving the new rear end.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Just going off the prices on Porches website. Yes, a GT3 at $145K or so would not have many options but that is where Porsche gets you. Load up a base 911 and you are well into the $120K+ range.

Deprecation is steep on those types of builds unless you get a more limited car.

Regardless I am not loving the new rear end.
I don't mind the rear when the wing is down, but when it opens up it's obnoxious.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Apparently not. I mean fast for a sedan is not fast for a coupe. Still a driver's race as there's only about a tenth between the two. 1:36.96 for the Jag vs 1:36.83 for the GT350.
Laguna Seca isn't the GT350s best track...nor the Jag. It's a horse power track, but deceptively a momentum track at the same time. Really have to take these lap times with a grain of salt. Randy has a particular driving style and they only tested it at one track. I'd bet the Jaguar is a good bit faster at the 'Ring. The GT350 would understeer too much there to be insanely quick, IMHO.

FWIW - GT3s kill me at my local club track. At COTA it's game on.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I think it's a sin to consider buying a 911 with a PDK. I realize they are good, but Porsche manual transmissions are so awesome. The feel you get from a Porsche manual is so precise, so amazing .. if I had the extra dough laying around that's what I would choose.
Funny you say this. Had a similar sentiment until a (lunatic) friend of mine trusted me with his GT3 on track. That car was stupid fast, dialed, easy, and consistent. Lap 3 and I was within 1 second of HB with 3-pt belts and at MAYBE 7.5/10ths. I'd never even ridden in a Porsche before. So much of that was the incredible gear box. It made it so easy to go fast and let you really focus on the lines. At those speeds, the manual is just in the way, IMHO.

That said, I don't think I'd ever own one - at least not as weapon of choice. It was too dialed, too sterile to be my version of fun.

I would say it's the absolutely perfect track day car for the driver who wants to go faster, safely, and reliably every single time they go out.I was most surprised at how easy it was to toss around. It felt so balanced (similar to a Miata, but at 3x the speed).

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
My experience is the more performance a car has (horsepower, torque, handling, etc) the more a DCT or auto has an advantage being able to keep both hands on the wheel.

For a car like a GT350, Grand Sport, etc I much prefer a manual. Once you get into the higher end of the performance the auto is nice to have.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Funny you say this. Had a similar sentiment until a (lunatic) friend of mine trusted me with his GT3 on track. That car was stupid fast, dialed, easy, and consistent. Lap 3 and I was within 1 second of HB with 3-pt belts and at MAYBE 7.5/10ths. I'd never even ridden in a Porsche before. So much of that was the incredible gear box. It made it so easy to go fast and let you really focus on the lines. At those speeds, the manual is just in the way, IMHO.

That said, I don't think I'd ever own one - at least not as weapon of choice. It was too dialed, too sterile to be my version of fun.

I would say it's the absolutely perfect track day car for the driver who wants to go faster, safely, and reliably every single time they go out.I was most surprised at how easy it was to toss around. It felt so balanced (similar to a Miata, but at 3x the speed).
I realize the PDK can be faster and it depends on what you want. I buy cars for fun more so than track times. Heck, I don't even record my lap times. I could see for someone like you that is pushing limits the GT3 with a PDK could be pretty great.

Motor Trend and Randy P did a test of two GT3s on Big Willow. They tested both the manual and PDK versions. The times were so close on the road course there was virtually no difference (Randy did say it took him a little time to come back up to speed with the manual). So based on that test - I would say yes the PDK can be faster, but fast laps can also be had with a manual. So for me personally I don't see any reason to buy the PDK unless you prefer automatics over manual transmissions.

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i
It's just a different kind of fun. I'd like both.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I realize the PDK can be faster and it depends on what you want. I buy cars for fun more so than track times. Heck, I don't even record my lap times. I could see for someone like you that is pushing limits the GT3 with a PDK could be pretty great.

Motor Trend and Randy P did a test of two GT3s on Big Willow. They tested both the manual and PDK versions. The times were so close on the road course there was virtually no difference (Randy did say it took him a little time to come back up to speed with the manual). So based on that test - I would say yes the PDK can be faster, but fast laps can also be had with a manual. So for me personally I don't see any reason to buy the PDK unless you prefer automatics over manual transmissions.
Agreed on all points. Only thing I'd say is lap time is averaging 100mph at big willow. Not a lot of shifting where it counts. At COTA or any other track that is shift heavy, the PDK could drop up to a couple seconds depending on track, driver, and conditions.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Agreed on all points. Only thing I'd say is lap time is averaging 100mph at big willow. Not a lot of shifting where it counts. At COTA or any other track that is shift heavy, the PDK could drop up to a couple seconds depending on track, driver, and conditions.
Definitely the PDK shifts faster.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
I had an opportunity to drive a 2019 non-S PDK Carerra at Laguna Seca in December. It was my first time there, and the car rewarded me the faster I went. A terrific car, and by far my favorite track I've been to so far. But the car was no fuss whatsoever, which is good and bad.
It was supposed to rain heavily that day, so not many people were there. It turned out to be a perfect day, and I pretty much had the whole track to myself for the last two sessions. While I loved the track and I can't think of a better car than a 911 as an intro to MLS, I itch to get my GT350 there.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
3 years later and they're still comparing it to the 911 ...

Another thorn in the side of the smart people at Stuttgart ...

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Porsche makes beautiful cars, no doubt. But you know this just chaps their arse being compared to a
“Mustang”. Lmao

3 years later and they're still comparing it to the 911 ...

Another thorn in the side of the smart people at Stuttgart ...
Sponsored