Best aero mods to reduce drag?

PostProcessed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
So right now I'm on a bit of an aero research frenzy, mostly looking to reduce drag but also improving down force/reducing lift where there isn't too much penalty. So far I've found APR's GTC-200 drag wing that claims to reduce drag and add some downforce but what other options are there? Steeda's race wing is a similar low profile unit that looks great and has apparently gone through some CFD and track testing, anyone with experience have any thoughts?

I'm also looking at the front end and it seems like the Roush fascia might have bigger air curtain ducts that should help (not to mention moving the fog lights out of the airflow) as well as a larger splitter, any idea if that's truly the case? As far as I'm aware Roush has Ford do their testing and analysis but they won't say anything beyond it "improving airflow" and down force.

Then there's the hood... The '18 has significantly bigger ducts which leads me to believe they weren't nearly big enough on the '15-'17 cars. Tiger Racing's hood looks awesome and has been wind tunnel tested by Ford but my GT is a daily driver and I'm not sure I want to deal with rain and road grime getting all over the engine and everything else under the hood (I live in Seattle so there's always a chance of rain). Someone else asked them about that in another forum and their answer was that it just isn't a very streetable hood and that weatherproofing would only reduce effectiveness. Any other options for venting?

Velox also makes an add-on diffuser that's been CFD analyzed to reduce lift and drag though I worry that their model has oversimplified the underbody. That said, APR has similar products for older Mustangs and they have a solid track record for aero parts.

Here's my crazy idea though... Anyone thought about retrofitting the Ecoboost's active grille shutters to a GT? And I guess to tie into that does anyone know if the GT's PCM has code to support controlling them?
Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
It is interesting as I have the Steeda wing on my to do list and want a front spoiler at some point. I am still setting up the suspension and need $900.00 or to finish that. These mustangs need work but that's part of the enjoyment of owning one as you get to "make it your "bitchin ride".

OP
OP

PostProcessed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Haha, amen to that. I'm just a numbers and engineering nerd and while you usually can't get something for nothing it's always fun to try. I even thought about how hard it would be to add a pair of power recovery turbines but that's a topic for a different thread...

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
If you are serious about aero..

I and a few others have gone with the Kognition wing. The data on the winge/force/speed/drag etc is available on their website.

A rear diffuser is on my radar. There are three options, in order of relative cost:

1) DIY
2) Velox
3) GT350 lower valance and rear diffuser panel.

For the front, a move to the Roush is nice, but if you want to keep your fog lights (some of us like to do road rallies on the side) you would lose your best brake cooling pickups with the Roush. The lights would have to go unless you sacrificed some lower radiator opening.

Other wise, the factory PP splitter makes quite a nice base for a good splitter (it creates about a 1.5" "wall" above a typical flat splitter. I used SBS as the install is the most simplified and it retains the ducting for the factory brake cooling ducts- which become "area cooling" with a real brake cooling kit.

Tiger is a great hood. TBH you would likely be able to fashion "street covers" for the vents, it has been discussed, but isn't feasible for mass production most likely. Some small trim screws, 1/4" ABS rod, and 1/2 ABS sheet and it could be a fun DIY. Otherwise there is the KOHR hood, which comes with covers for street use/track tuning.

If it's not obvious, I too have taken on the aero portion of the car for track use. I've gone this route early mainly because it's interesting and I don't plan to deal with classing, so I can do what I want. I just want to HPDE, grand tour, and rally.

Sponsored

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Best place to increase downforce and not add drag, or even reduce drag, is under the car. Flat under tray, with a diffuser out back.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Best place to increase downforce and not add drag, or even reduce drag, is under the car. Flat under tray, with a diffuser out back.

These cars are already relatively flat. Wouldn't be hard to work it out.

There is also some minor aero trick under the cars that are easy to dismiss, like the little kickers that push air down and away from the IRS.
Sponsored