schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Don't see a VIN on the new trans, at least not a number I can definitely state as a VIN.
Sponsored

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
A few pics for fun:

1st photo draining and saving the new Ford factory ULV Trans fluid.
2nd photo shows the valve body and fluid pump removed
3rd photo shows the special External Torx head bolts that hold the stator in place

The adapter I made for holding the trans on my rotisserie engine stand works wonderfully.

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534 transmission 3.JPG
Just an fyi looks like e torx plus

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It is an E Torx Plus.

Almost finished with the build, been doing it in my spare time (which I don't have in excess).

I did want to comment on the 10R80's mechanicals.

I am more than impressed with the quality of the internal components. Robust, well supported, Torrington needle bearings throughout, and the machining of the gears (ring, sun, and planetaries) and overall finish are impeccable.

Would take some serious horsepower to break a hard part in this trans. I feel as time goes by and more people offer improved clutches and steels, bump the line pressure, and get the shifts crisp and firm to reduce wear on the frictions and reduce heat, this could be a milestone transmission in the future.

The Suncoast upgrade kit is of great quality as well. The steels are obviously heat treated and the GPZ clutch material appears to have a partial metallic content embedded in the friction material. The surface area of the frictions are also greater since the wide spaced grooves of the OEM frictions (to allow for fluid cooling) has been reduced on the Suncoast/Raybestos frictions.

Beefcake says this Suncoast upgrade will hold reliably up to 1,000 HP as far as the components are concerned. However, modification of the hydraulics will be a crucial aspect as well to extract the best overall longevity.

Shortly after I get this going and put some test miles on it, the TCM hydraulic upgrades will follow using the Tuning Schools guides and software, which has has a section for boosted applications.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Have the trans in and breaking it in with all the Sun Coast upgrades. Works very well.

Just ordered The Tuning Schools MPV12 hand held interface and have the software downloaded.

I plan on reprogramming the hydraulics using the "aggressive" path.

Going to be fun.

Began tearing down the original 10R80 to assess the damage. Plan is to build the original 10R for a back up.

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 SCION xB, 2019 Mustang Gt
How much boost and HP where you running when it went out? I was thinking about going roush stage 2 kit. Dealer says trans should be okay but I disagree.

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the write up OP. One of the things I'm waiting on is different gears. This transmission could be a real menace in so many scenarios

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I intend to see if there are any additional things I can do to add even more clutches (machine the apply pistons for instance).
Ya that's a hard pass if I was doing it.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would estimate, conservatively, my RWP at around 640-650 (roughly 750 crank).

The Sun Coast recommendation is anything at or over 700 crank is iffy on the stock trans and you will more than likely have the problem I had, just like a lot of other S550/10R folks.

The hydraulics upgrade with the Tuning School software, coupled with the Sun Coast upgrade, should put me in good shape and take the worry out of another toasted trans.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
My friend started slipping his 10R80 clutches at 760/630 on his 2019. We are putting the Suncoast clutches upgrade in this weekend. They are claimed to hold around 900/750.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Cory,

You may be OK with the Sun Coast upgrade only, but the 10R rear clutch drum (E) is an on-off-on clutch pack that builds heat quickly.

More hydraulic pressure and quicker-firmer shifts will help a lot. That's why I am doing the TCM reprogramming as well.

10R requires some quirky piston compression tools, I hope you have some.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Cory,

You may be OK with the Sun Coast upgrade only, but the 10R rear clutch drum (E) is an on-off-on clutch pack that builds heat quickly.

More hydraulic pressure and quicker-firmer shifts will help a lot. That's why I am doing the TCM reprogramming as well.

10R requires some quirky piston compression tools, I hope you have some.
We had what we needed to disassemble. No special tools needed, just some ingenuity.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
question about the suncoast upgrades. I see that there is definite benefit for drag racers but do road course racers benefit from this? I believe their torque converters have a little extra oil capacity and there are some other benefits that might help.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
question about the suncoast upgrades. I see that there is definite benefit for drag racers but do road course racers benefit from this? I believe their torque converters have a little extra oil capacity and there are some other benefits that might help.
True road course racers run a manual transmission. :)

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
For those of you who have done the upgrade... I know this is subjective, but how hard is the rebuild. I'm an ASE master tech, I own my own shop and I've rebuilt engines, but have never had an auto trans apart. I have a really good 3rd party 10r80 rebuild manual but wondering if I'd be getting in over my head.
Sponsored