J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Hey guys/girls,

I realize there is already a battery tender thread, and have read through that one, but has anyone actually VERIFIED that the CTEK 3300 unit works for our cars through the power outlet near the shifter?

Or has anyone confirmed that any specific model charger works with our cars? Would like to avoid having to leave the hood open under the car cover throughout the winter with cables running out if possible, so any advice regarding confirmed applications would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Justin
Sponsored

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Double post.

Last edited:

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I'm not going to be much help on the GT350, but I've always used a Battery Tender brand trickle charger. Hard wire it to the battery and it has an easy plug in that is capped when not in use. I've always run the wire down through the engine bay or through the side vent (Viper) so the hood wouldn't need to be left open. I know the GT350 has some belly pans that would make that more difficult.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
This is the tender I used when I would do tune updates on my GT. Wires are thin enough the go inbetween the hood and the headlight with ease, plus they detach at the battery location so you don't have to undo it everytime.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051D3MP6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've had better luck long-term with some of the non-Battery-Tender branded units like these. Cheaper and they last longer in my experience.

I started using Battery Tender units back in the '90s on battery-eating stroker Harleys when they were the only game in town, but these days use Black & Decker and Schumacher units on the fleet of cars and bikes that hibernate all winter.

Regardless of the brand you choose, they make a dramatic difference in battery life. When I first started using them, a certain bike of mine would eat a battery every season. After using a tender, I could get several years out of a battery in that beast. Currently, one of my Harleys still has the OEM battery at the 10-year-old mark, testament to these types of tenders. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I have the Ctek 3300 on my car right now, the only thing i didn't get is the lighter adapter, but it is available. Got mine through Amazon.

Reviews on the Ctek were stellar, it is one of the best battery tender out there.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
No longer a friend of Battery Tender. their quality has went down in my opinion. For less or similar money you can get much better units. They also gouge you on the cable extensions etc.

I have tons of batteries I keep plugged in at all times. 3 for the boat, 2 for generators, several for mowers and power equipment, and now 2 for vehicles. I was going through battery tenders like they were going out of style. In some cases the batteries themselves were harmed.

Ended up going with a nice 3 bank 20 amp marine unit for the boat, it doesn't require I remove the batteries and I dont need to pull them in the shop. The battery tender wouldn't work in the heat and cool cycles outdoors or in my shop.

The other units I use now indoors have auto 6 and 12 volt options as well as higher amp settings. I pay a bit more but these units have worked well not only in restoring deep cycles that had been drained to far along with some other batteries that had proprietary chargers either over or undercharge.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LWVEKS

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
No longer a friend of Battery Tender. their quality has went down in my opinion. For less or similar money you can get much better units. They also gouge you on the cable extensions etc.

I have tons of batteries I keep plugged in at all times. 3 for the boat, 2 for generators, several for mowers and power equipment, and now 2 for vehicles. I was going through battery tenders like they were going out of style. In some cases the batteries themselves were harmed.

Ended up going with a nice 3 bank 20 amp marine unit for the boat, it doesn't require I remove the batteries and I dont need to pull them in the shop. The battery tender wouldn't work in the heat and cool cycles outdoors or in my shop.

The other units I use now indoors have auto 6 and 12 volt options as well as higher amp settings. I pay a bit more but these units have worked well not only in restoring deep cycles that had been drained to far along with some other batteries that had proprietary chargers either over or undercharge.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LWVEKS
^^^^^ that was gonna be my second choice after the CTek,

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I haven't had an issue with Battery Tender on any of my vehicles....surprised to hear the negative feedback. All of mine are older, so maybe the newer ones aren't as good?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Meh, my old Battery Tenders were no more durable than later ones.....

Sponsored

SVT Wylde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I have had 2 Battery Tenders fail on me in the past 5 years. The last one I bought failed after 1 year. Both of them would get very hot to the touch and would not go into stand by mode when they failed. I'll try the Ctek brand next time.

jvs0302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Which one of the NOCO genius charges would be suitable for a typical car battery? I'm a bit confused by all of the options.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Hey guys/girls,

I realize there is already a battery tender thread, and have read through that one, but has anyone actually VERIFIED that the CTEK 3300 unit works for our cars through the power outlet near the shifter?

Or has anyone confirmed that any specific model charger works with our cars? Would like to avoid having to leave the hood open under the car cover throughout the winter with cables running out if possible, so any advice regarding confirmed applications would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Justin
I am curious to know the same thing, lots of responses in the thread but no answers to this question.... hopefully someone will chime in that has tried it.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I tried it, the lighter ports on the GT350 are always hot so a charger will work with the car off.

As far as Battery Tender vs CTEK. I have had BT's for 12+ years. Never one problem. I also have a CTEK 3300. Both extension cables are expensive. The BT has much longer cords. You need more shorter cables if you want to use the CTEK.

The CTEK tends to get pretty warm, Not sure if that is normal or not, It also seems to have some QC issues. The case seems flimsy. It does work fine and it does do desulfination (sp?). Not sure that matters unless you run your battery dead often.

On my 16, I hardwired my CTEK to the battery and used an extension to run the cable through the grille. On my 17 GT350, The connector is routed under the spoiler so it's very cover friendly and no need to keep your window cracked or your hood up. Below are he pics from my 16. My 17 is wired the same except the connector is under the splitter.
IMG_20160606_184036_zpsndu4jrap.jpg
IMG_20160606_183836_zpsmfrkpkfq.jpg
IMG_20160606_183809_zpssanrdutv.jpg

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I have the Ctek 3300 on my car right now, the only thing i didn't get is the lighter adapter, but it is available. Got mine through Amazon.

Reviews on the Ctek were stellar, it is one of the best battery tender out there.
^^ABSOLUTELY! Ctek all the way.
I have this tender, the extended cable and the lighter adapter. So easy, literally plug it in and forget it. I always check on it when I go into the garage to throw out the trash or recycled to make sure all is well. Always worked great for me.
(****Just a side note,I do have a 2013 Roush Stage 3, so I'm not sure if the lighter adapter option will work for the S550 Mustangs. I was told it wouldn't. :shrug:)
Sponsored