Bass passthrough from trunk

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
I am getting ready to do some audio upgrades to my 2018 convertible. I am replacing the lower and mid door speakers on my 12 speaker Shaker Pro system, as well as replacing the pathetic factory sub with my own 12" Orion sub.

My question is this: if I remove the rear side panel speakers entirely, will this essentially provide more passthrough of the bass from the trunk into the main cabin or will the convertible mechanisms block any additional passthrough effect of removing those speakers? They don't provide much sound overall, so I'm either going to remove them so the bass from the trunk can passthrough better (if that's possible) or upgrade them to Powerbass 6.5" coaxials.

Anyone know? Thanks!
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I installed a light bar on my vert and I had to remove the rear trim panels to install the brackets. I can tell you that the top mechanism is in a separate well from the speakers and that well does not extend into the trunk area. The speakers are mounted on the other side of the sheetmetal inside the back seat area and has no direct flow or passage into the trunk area.

OP
OP

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I installed a light bar on my vert and I had to remove the rear trim panels to install the brackets. I can tell you that the top mechanism is in a separate well from the speakers and that well does not extend into the trunk area. The speakers are mounted on the other side of the sheetmetal inside the back seat area and has no direct flow or passage into the trunk area.
Thanks for confirming! I'll end up just upgrading those rear speakers to Powerbass coaxials then.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Another factor: Bass sound waves are so long, relative to the dimensions of a car and its parts, minor obstructions that might reflect or otherwise influence sound propagation usually aren't a serious problem. Think about those door-shakers that pull up next to you at a traffic light and pollute the soundscape for hundreds of yards around. (That's not you, is it?)

OP
OP

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Another factor: Bass sound waves are so long, relative to the dimensions of a car and its parts, minor obstructions that might reflect or otherwise influence sound propagation usually aren't a serious problem. Think about those door-shakers that pull up next to you at a traffic light and pollute the soundscape for hundreds of yards around. (That's not you, is it?)
Not quite hundreds of yards, but you definitely could hear me coming in my old GTI between the full turbo back exhaust and 12" sub in the hatch.
Sponsored