Sponsored

basic bolt-ons

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base Oxford White
I have had my 2017 Mustang for a year and am finally ready to start modding it. I have a 2017 base GT 6mt in the Mecca of crap gas 91 California. I am looking at the basic boltons now intake, exhaust, and tuner. For Exhaust I am pretty set on MBRP street I don't want anything super loud plus I want to get their headers in the future and I like the way the sounded together. Cold air intake I am leaning between JLT and PMAS Im in the inland empire and it gets pretty hot in the summer 112 and 114 days so heat soak is unavoidable I believe. Tuner device nguage and sct x4. Any suggestions would be helpful. I looked at most of the vendor sites for package deals and it honestly looked Cheaper to pick up separate items from different sites. I am planning on pulling the trigger in the next few weeks
Sponsored

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
I think you are on the right track for mods with good choices on intake and exhaust. I run a pmas intake, Lund Flexfuel Tune with Ngauge and Mbrp axle back. I just ordered a Pypes H-Bomb 3 inch catback from LMR. In regards to tunes, I Suggest Lund, AED or palm beach dyno. Stay away from Bama.. they just don’t perform anywhere near the others I mentioned.

For a great package deal price, contact beefcake racing. I got my intake/Tune package from them for a great price.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Stick with a closed box intake if you don't want to deal with the high under hood temps. Reason I went with the Airaid myself. Summers hit 102-103 degrees here. Idling with an open box intake would be some really high temps.

OP
OP

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Grabber. I looked at BeefCake site and looked at the Package deals but when I price up the parts separate it like a hundred dollars cheaper with it not packaged unless I am missing something. I will try to reach out to the Vendor to find out why that is I am probably missing something.

From what I read when you get a sct x4 you can get tunes from from other companies but when you get a NGuage with Lund it is locked and there is no way to get it unlocked is this correct?

OP
OP

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stick with a closed box intake if you don't want to deal with the high under hood temps. Reason I went with the Airaid myself. Summers hit 102-103 degrees here. Idling with an open box intake would be some really high temps.
Yeah I looked at the closed element I only saw C&L and AirRaid which I read is both made by the same company. How do you like your AirRaid intake and did you get any Dyno Numbers before and after?

Sponsored

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Stock airbox with a high flow filter and intake tube is just a good (some say better) that an open element hot air intake.

SCT does offer a bit more flexibility in tuners and comes with canned tunes, however the Ngague will flash a new file a little quicker.

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
Stock airbox with a high flow filter and intake tube is just a good (some say better) that an open element hot air intake.
I have to disagree wholeheartedly. The difference to me when going from stock airbox to my PMAS is like night and day. Lower temps, yes, but as far as performance goes - open element wins hands down. Not even close....

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I have to disagree wholeheartedly. The difference to me when going from stock airbox to my PMAS is like night and day. Lower temps, yes, but as far as performance goes - open element wins hands down. Not even close....
Do you have any MAF readings to show the increase in airflow?

http://www.fordnxt.com/features/car-features/a-detailed-look-at-the-kohr-mustang-gt4-road-racer/

Stock airbox in the Ford Performance road race cars.

The MotoIQ test between the Power Pack 1 and 2 (tune and tune + intake) show a 7hp gain with the open element intake vs a drop in filter in the stock airbox. While I admit 7hp gain is a 7hp gain, its far from a "night and day difference".

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...2/TESTED-Ford-Mustang-GT-Power-Packs-1-3.aspx

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP

While I admit 7hp gain is a 7hp gain, its far from a "night and day difference".
No MAF readings - I don’t race - I don’t hit the drag strip. All I have is the seat of my pants and it’s an “oh yeah” moment when i install the PMAS. It’s there, and it is very obvious. Most notably in the pull, but there is more torque as well. There were many tests done in the PMAS thread if you want to go read thru it. Only way I go back to closed box is when I go FI.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Lol @ hot air intake. Temps on my 120mm JLT are about 10*c higher at idle in traffic, but quickly drop once moving to 5*c above ambient.

OP
OP

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SCT does offer a bit more flexibility in tuners and comes with canned tunes, however the Ngague will flash a new file a little quicker.
Yeah I think I will go with the SCT I like flexibility and I don't mind plugging in a laptop to datalog.

OP
OP

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone had a VMP tune? How does it compare to Lund and AED? Asking because of a AM package with PMAS and SC with VMP tune. I know Alex use to work there before going back to Lund recently.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT

http://www.fordnxt.com/features/car-features/a-detailed-look-at-the-kohr-mustang-gt4-road-racer/

Stock airbox in the Ford Performance road race cars.

The MotoIQ test between the Power Pack 1 and 2 (tune and tune + intake) show a 7hp gain with the open element intake vs a drop in filter in the stock airbox. While I admit 7hp gain is a 7hp gain, its far from a "night and day difference".

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...2/TESTED-Ford-Mustang-GT-Power-Packs-1-3.aspx
Livernois severe windstorm intake w/93 octane tune.

44.31 lb/min uncorrected

46.54 lb/min corrected for RD of 99% and STFT of 1.04

@6600rpm

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone had a VMP tune? How does it compare to Lund and AED? Asking because of a AM package with PMAS and SC with VMP tune. I know Alex use to work there before going back to Lund recently.
I don't believe VMP will tune in Cali.
Sponsored