Sponsored

Back pain with seats.

427Z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang GT
Does anyone else find the recaros to cause lower back pain after an hour of driving? I don't like cars that have built in lumbar areas, I prefer it to be flat or else my back will be seriously sore. I sat in the stock seats and they have way too much built in lumbar support. I have the recaros and I think the recaro seats might be under cushioned, they practically offer no resistance when compressed.
Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Ahh!..So thats why my back is slowly starting to feel weird

import111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have had lower back issues for about 10 years, and the Mustang Recaros actually feel very comfy to me. I think getting everything positioned right helps a lot. There is a lot of adjustability with the seat and steering wheel to get everything where you need it so you can be comfy. I personally lean the seat back and telescope the steering wheel out to me and pump the seat hight up a tad, and that helps keep my lower back happy.

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
Base/Premium seats are dynamite, and the lumbar pumps fat too. I always heard the Recaros were very supportive though

Sponsored

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
I've never had any back pain, even on a 14hr drive. But I did notice I tend to slouch into the seat on a longer drive, which I'm sure would lead to lower back pain if I didn't remind myself to sit up.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I'm heading on a 20 hr drive next week from Canada to Los Angeles, so I will see how mine feels. Going non stop other that gas, food and the odd stretch

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
I've had some minor lower back injuries and and a result absolutely hated my 14 GT premium seats on long rides. As far as my 15 goes, I have taken several 3 hour+ trips and haven't had any discomfort. My seat is pretty straight - as others have said, probably is all about finding the proper positioning.

clean92lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
I have a base GT and noticed right away that my back is killing me after about 30-45 minutes of driving. Never had back issues of any kind... Figured it was just a different design that my back is not yet used to, maybe it'll get better. Kinda like when changing to a new mattress, some peoples back need time to adjust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleeger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401a Auto 3.31's
I have premium seats and if I start to slouch and my bottom and lower back slide forward then my back hurts.

Sponsored
OP
OP

427Z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang GT
I test drove a brz and it has a built in lumbar support which I felt as soon as I sat in it. Whats interesting is the salesperson also has a brz and he complains he has to adjust himself after 45 minutes. I also drove ag37 and wrx and those seats were really comfortable because their back is relatively flat. Unfortunately those cars do not compare to the 5.0 in terms of fun and performance to me.

I am thinking about getting the recaro cushions replaced with something firm and having the upholsterer take out any curvature to the back. When I had sparco evo seats in my Z06 I had no problems with the 3 hr drive to NJMP.

I think the gt350 recaros would be really nice, are they for sale? Would they be a direct fit into our cars?

Eric.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Ecoboost
My first post on this forum, but this is an issue I have been treating on my clients for several years now.

Part of the problem is that all cars now come with either a forward tilting headrest, a headrest that overlaps the seat back, or the seat itself tilts forward starting at just below the shoulders. That forward tilt compresses the rib cage and shortens the obliques. Most people are already like that in some way due to slouching, but car seats amplify that now. The compression in the front of the torso causes the vertebrae in your mid back to go out of alignment. At that point, when standing, the lumbar spine is pushed forward causing a compression of the disks and nerves, and also pulls on several muscles in the lower back and upper gluteals.

It's a domino effect. So far, the only solution I've found is to either shave the padding in the seats, turn the headrest around, or get a tube bender for the headrest pegs. If it's a fixed back bucket seat... Not sure if it's possible to have the seat frame bent backwards to straighten it out.

According to a local Mercedes dealer the NHTSA found a study that showed a forward tilt of the headrest reduced whiplash by 60%. What they never considered, though, is that the majority of driver's out there don't sit up straight. They slouch.

millertimegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem.,PP with 50th Package Ruby Red
I'm heading on a 20 hr drive next week from Canada to Los Angeles, so I will see how mine feels. Going non stop other that gas, food and the odd stretch

Good luck on your trip. Have already traded off 2015 GT with Recaro seats for a 2015 GT 50th with premium seats. Both the wife & myself found them not to our liking. There other reasons why we traded off the first 2015 GT.

Nice to see another Canadian posting on this site:cheers:.

Dave

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
According to a local Mercedes dealer the NHTSA found a study that showed a forward tilt of the headrest reduced whiplash by 60%. What they never considered, though, is that the majority of driver's out there don't sit up straight. They slouch.
Mustang head restraints have adjustable tilt, at least on the regular seats. You definitely want some forward tilt. Whiplash is bad. If your head is more than about 1" from the head restraint, you will be vulnerable to a whiplash.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Does anyone else find the recaros to cause lower back pain after an hour of driving? I don't like cars that have built in lumbar areas, I prefer it to be flat or else my back will be seriously sore. I sat in the stock seats and they have way too much built in lumbar support. I have the recaros and I think the recaro seats might be under cushioned, they practically offer no resistance when compressed.
I really like the regular seats. One thing you could do is rent a base Mustang and drive it for a few hours and see if the back is a problem.
Sponsored