B&O Sound system vs Shaker

Hook88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible - Atlas Blue
My comparison is limited to a 2017 convertible Mustang with a Shaker system and a 2021 Mustang convertible with B&O using my favorite playlist via iTunes Music and Apple CarPlay.

The Shaker system had little bass until I added a powered JL Audio 10” sub. It was a relatively inexpensive upgrade and made the Shaker system come to life. When shopping for a new convertible, I again connected to CarPlay and I found the B&O system a little (not a lot) better than my Shaker + JL Audio setup.

I was always plenty satisfied with my 2017 setup but never liked having the sub box mounted flat up behind my back seat, so I opted for the very clean look of the B&O. Maybe after I own the car a while I may decide to do the sub upgrade, but out of the gate it sounded better than what I had before so I’ll likely be just fine with it.
Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-i-improved-the-b-o-sound-quality-for-free.141052/

Here you go. Honestly I'd go see if there's a Mustang with the B&O on a lot near you and see how you like it...Sound quality is one of those things that everything has a different opinion on.
One of the things he recommended was removing the center speaker by either cutting (green wire) or removing the pin in the connector or pulling the plug from the speaker itself.. You can experiment with this by covering the center speaker but you will still get some sound so it want be perfect.

OP
OP
superspartan

superspartan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Forgot to mention guys that I currently own a 2012 BMW M3 Convertible which has a Harman/Kardon basic speaker setup so anything above that for me would be a huge upgrade. My car has very basic sound and no sub-woofer. Just the name "Harman/Kardon" 🧐

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
The reason is B&O had nothing to do with the design in the Mustang. It's a Ford stereo system with royalties paid to B&O to use their name. Unfortunately it's quite a common thing for companies do this sort of "branding".
Dirty little secret of the industry, a lot of this crap is trick branding, absolutely zero effort behind the scenes is going on. The sounds of the B&O, Harman Kardon, Shaker ect... vary from model to model, they are not a standardized type of thing. In other words, a B&O in one model car, will likely not sound similar to a B&O in another model car, even within the same make! A lot of sound quality is dependent on the interior design and materials, the shape of the cabin, glass, and speaker placement. I'm not an audiophile, but I do know some, that claim the ability to use a good EQ in the car can make a huge difference even with most stock equipment. One of my favorite car reviewers on youtube is savagegeese, he actually puts up the audiographs of the sound system results in most of his reviews. This dude is into audio, here is a vid where he dives into this stuff. Love Mr. Goose!

https://www.savagegeese.com/reviews/fine-print-on-car-audio

1652140868679.png

FWIW, the shaker in my 2014 Mustang had better bass and low notes, and I think far greater volume power than the upgraded optional B&O inside my 2014 Audi S5. I felt that voices, like on talk radio sounder better in the Audi, so did classical music, but most pop, rap, rock music was better on the shaker. This is probably my personal bias because I like bass. The shaker could bass a lot harder, but the lower quality interior of the S197 and Ford, meant it would rattle a lot of plastic in the cabin. I have a very low tolerance for rattles and annoyances like that so I dialed the bass back a couple of notches.

Stock base audio system in the Mach 1 is inferior to the 2014 S197s Shaker system. Looking back I should have spent the money.... to be sure though I'd have to test both stock and upgraded back to back.

Not a fair comparison between the cars mentioned above, but the audio in my stock 2000 civic is total shit. Car audio has generally improved since the early 2000s IMO, even in commuter economy cars.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
After you do that, try getting into a car that has a real B&O (Audi), Mark Levinson, Bowles and Wilkins, Burmester, and AKG. There are many others. I do realize most of these are in German/Import cars except the AKG in the high-end Cadillacs. I even think the Fender audio system in the VW sounds better, yes it does need a subwoofer.....but hey we all are different...and yes I love the exhaust sounds on the Mustang also BUT....... I really like quality music. :) :)

I have both, 2018 Shaker 1000, 2020 B&O. They both sound good to me. It's hard to tell the nuanced differences but I'm happy with both. I never sat in one listened to a song, then jumped in the other and played the same song at same volume/settings. Maybe I will and get back to you.

Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
If it makes you feel better OP, I passed on the B&O on my Mach and the stereo is frankly atrocious, so even if the B&O is underwhelming, it has to be better than the factory default.

I probably won't mess with mine because A) I don't listen to a lot of music, that's why I have a V8 and B) I don't want to introduce possible electric gremlins, but the temptation is definitely there.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
After you do that, try getting into a car that has a real B&O (Audi), Mark Levinson, Bowles and Wilkins, Burmester, and AKG. There are many others. I do realize most of these are in German/Import cars except the AKG in the high-end Cadillacs. I even think the Fender audio system in the VW sounds better, yes it does need a subwoofer.....but hey we all are different...and yes I love the exhaust sounds on the Mustang also BUT....... I really like quality music. :) :)
I just read your profile. You even wrote about the B&O not being great in there. Lol. I feel you. Maybe it's the acoustic design of the mustang that doesn't allow the greatest performance from the speakers. I have some tinnitus from years of military, concerts, stereos, etc, so maybe that's why I'm just happy to hear and feel music at all.

davtpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Engine music is all I need lol (but seriously some good info here and yeah I did the upgrade too for my own cya). I’m sure I overspent but didn’t want the aftermarket hassle.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
If it makes you feel better OP, I passed on the B&O on my Mach and the stereo is frankly atrocious, so even if the B&O is underwhelming, it has to be better than the factory default.

I probably won't mess with mine because A) I don't listen to a lot of music, that's why I have a V8 and B) I don't want to introduce possible electric gremlins, but the temptation is definitely there.
i don't really listen to it either but i did order the B&O. when i was ordering my car I went to a local dealer and had them park two cars next to each other, one with the system and one without. I thought there was a decent difference between the two. not that the B&O is a great sound system but its an improvement and i don't want to mess with aftermarket stuff. in 1,500 miles i've had the radio on for maybe 100 of those miles

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
i don't really listen to it either but i did order the B&O. when i was ordering my car I went to a local dealer and had them park two cars next to each other, one with the system and one without. I thought there was a decent difference between the two. not that the B&O is a great sound system but its an improvement and i don't want to mess with aftermarket stuff. in 1,500 miles i've had the radio on for maybe 100 of those miles
1500 miles?! Those are rookie numbers, gotta get em up. I think I'm about at 6k on a car I picked up last week of December

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
1500 miles?! Those are rookie numbers, gotta get em up. I think I'm about at 6k on a car I picked up last week of December
i'm trying! parked all winter and trying to get it ready to come out for summer. a 10 week old and a shit ton of yard work is making that difficult however.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
i have the B&O in my 21 GT/CS and also 65 year old hearing. Ask my wife!
I had a shaker 500 in my 06GT and honestly can't tell the difference :cwl:
Its rarely above 15 so sounds fine to me.

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
You guys have radios?

The B&O speakers are a different part number over the premium( standard for Mach ) audio. That said, I believe both are still paper factory type speakers, just a different sound profile. Power bass makes speakers for ford, plugs right in and makes a good difference if you don't want to mod anything, they replace the doors and package tray.
Sponsored