Sponsored

August 2017 Mustang Sales

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
Do I? Yep sure do. Knowing it's full and not low or possibly not showing anything on the dip stick at all let's me "sleep like a baby" :headbang:
I do check my oil % level on my digital gauge. Does that somewhat count?

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
While selling overall less cars isn't a win, what I do find impressive is that Challenger sales have steadily increased since 2009. 2017 looks to be its best year to date.

I'm really curious about what is driving this upward trend for the Challenger. The body styling looks basically the same as it did when the car debut almost 10 years ago. The Demon and Hellcats offer incredible horsepower, but I believe represent only a small fraction of the Challenger sales. It can't just be marketing, so what's the secret behind its constant upward trend?

If I'm Chrysler, I've gotta be happy to see sales constantly climb on a 10 year old platform, which aside from the Hellcat and Demon, hasn't had much in any form of major updates.
My guess is pricing. Big Challenger with V6 starts at $25K

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Or could it be the Challenger's tie in with the Fast & the Furious movie franchise? As that series has become more and more popular, Challenger sales have risen in popularity as well.

I've never bought a car based on a TV commercial, so I'm skeptical that the TV commercials posted earlier were the primary reason for the Challenger's growing popularity. But I do think that pop culture and images instilled from movies might have a farther reaching affect on potential buyers.

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I do check my oil % level on my digital gauge. Does that somewhat count?
I don't know. For myself I rely on manually checking the dip stick every or every other fuel fill up. I'm done before the pump cuts off. Just something I've always done for piece of mind and getting a visual inspection. Also while the hood is up I can get a quick look at the coolant and brake fluid levels etc. and if anything else looks off.

Davy_Baby9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRD
Dodge in my opinion has simply did the best job of marketing. They create a ton of buzz with special models like the Demon. And they market cool. Just think about the Demon commercials. Or the Dodge boy commercials where they are tear assing thru a picnic! When was the last time you seen a Mustang commercial that grabbed your attention? But at least we're not Camaro. Their advertising is dopey at best! Here's my favorite Mustang commercial of the last 5 years.

That was a great Mustang commercial. There's a newer GT350 commercial but I don't think it was advertised on tv. I don't even think I can think of a Camaro or Corvette commercial that I can remember.

This is by far my favorite car commercial ever:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]ylYd5kh-it8[/MEDIA]"]

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I'm going to try and make this so simple a child can understand. See the red lines? Mustang! See the White lines? Challenger! Notice how even this year (2017). Which seams to be the year your basing your wrong thinking on. There is still a 20,000 sale difference. Selling ruffly 45% less cars since 2009. Can NOT be considered a win by anyone!
I'm going to make this so simple you can understand- See the red lines going down 15-17? See the white lines going up 15-17? What part of that don't you understand? The total number sold in the past has no bearing on that trend.
The Challenger is increasing it's customer base and the Mustang is decreasing. Some are people like me that had such a bad experience with Ford that I'd be gun shy to even look at a F150 if I bought a truck. I still think that word gets around and the DL vibration problem and AC problems have hurt Mustang sales.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I'm going to make this so simple you can understand- See the red lines going down 15-17? See the white lines going up 15-17? What part of that don't you understand? The total number sold in the past has no bearing on that trend.
The Challenger is increasing it's customer base and the Mustang is decreasing. Some are people like me that had such a bad experience with Ford that I'd be gun shy to even look at a F150 if I bought a truck. I still think that word gets around and the DL vibration problem and AC problems have hurt Mustang sales.
Mustang numbers are normalizing after the massive spike with the 2015 redesign. Expect them to pop up a bit again with the 2018 refresh, then taper off again until the next gen.
There are people like me who have had horrible issues with Dodge/Jeep quality. We had a Compass that ended up on a flatbed more than once, and we only drove it for 30k miles. The best time was when the clutch assembly completely exploded out of nowhere at around 20k miles.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
When your a crap product. Buried at the bottom. A perpetual loser since your inception! You have no where to go but up. Buy the way. Your still at the bottom this year by over 20,000 CARS! You really want to complaint about quality issues. With Dodges quality reputation???? Thanks for playing.:headbonk:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'd agree with you there :cool:

However, I'm a huge Miami Vice fan and the inspiration there was clear (especially Phil Collins' "In the air tonight" and a car chasing a cigarette boat - both feature in the pilot episode of MV, although the car then was a white Camaro ;) )

That was a great Mustang commercial. There's a newer GT350 commercial but I don't think it was advertised on tv. I don't even think I can think of a Camaro or Corvette commercial that I can remember.

This is by far my favorite car commercial ever:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
It would make a cheap, fun-ugly daily driver.
I don't even think the Camaro is ugly (Not as good looking as the mustang for sure though) If I were in the market I would be sorely tempted. 17k for a supercar? I might be able to live with the crappy, cramped interior, above the knee double amputee only back seats, and terrible trunk opening. it's just too bad GM screws service members and will void your warranty if you ship it overseas.

Damn I just talked myself out of one

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything in bold, italic and underlined font is sarcasm. :crazy:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I don't even think the Camaro is ugly (Not as good looking as the mustang for sure though) If I were in the market I would be sorely tempted. 17k for a supercar? I might be able to live with the crappy, cramped interior, above the knee double amputee only back seats, and terrible trunk opening. it's just too bad GM screws service members and will void your warranty if you ship it overseas.

Damn I just talked myself out of one

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything in bold, italic and underlined font is sarcasm. :crazy:
I agree. The Camaro is a good looking car. And how can you go wrong picking up one for 17 grand. You can drive that or a sonic. Tuff decision.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Camaro with non SS+ aesthetics are boring and ugly IMO. Even in SS I have a hard time liking it. I don't mind the front and love the side profile but the rear just makes me mad every time I see it. I was hoping it would grow on me over the past year n half. But as a cheap DD, I wouldn't even care. I've used worse. But I think my IS250 DD would still please me more.

85stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Eco MT, '05 V6 MT Vert, '85 GT 5.8 MT
I cant believe mustang owners have become such douchers. Acting like BMW owners. Never in 18 years of Mustang forums have i seen such butthurt over a new Mustang. It seems it is all from 15-17 GT owners too. The S550 must have brought in a lot of first time Mustang owners. I own a '16 an '05 and a '85 GT btw. The 2018 does 0-60 in under 4.0 sec. Boom. Get over it. So much damn whining. You :hail: love your 15-17, we get it. The '18 is improved. Accept reality.:headbonk: I am really clueless as to why a 15-17 GT owner has to blast the 18. Must be because they no longer have the latest and greatest, and they are entitled douches. Go do a burnout or something. :headbang:
Sponsored