Sponsored

August 2018 Mustang Sales

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think the "performance" cars of the late '70s through the early-90s were so lacking compared to their predecessors that those '60s and '70s cars took on an almost mythical status, making them seem much more classic, and from a different era, in comparison. Cars from the late '90s were better, but things have only improved since then, so I don't know that cars from those years will achieve the same status as the '60s cars.
Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I think the "performance" cars of the late '70s through the early-90s were so lacking compared to their predecessors that those '60s and '70s cars took on an almost mythical status, making them seem much more classic, and from a different era, in comparison. Cars from the late '90s were better, but things have only improved since then, so I don't know that cars from those years will achieve the same status as the '60s cars.
So true. The whole oil embargo thing forced automakers to make anemic and uninteresting cars compared to the "glory days" of the 60's.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
For ‘15 to ‘17 S550 GT owners; direct injection, I think, is not something better, it is just something different. If food on your table depends upon winning drag races, then you want DI. I prefer the EFI 5.0 coyotes. EFI shoots the fuel in front of the valves. DI shoots behind the valves. Think about it, DI systems inject near top dead center at max cyl pressure. The systems are more complex, much higher pressure, are used with higher compression ratio, and yield a much hotter engine. Heat adversely effects life. EFI is flat out bullet proof, works forever. DI cannot take advantage of the cleaning agents mixed in all pump gas. What is cleaned? The valve seats. Pushing a DI engine hard and long can burn a valve. In Fords own tests: 5.0 DI v 5.0 EFI, the best fuel efficiency gain they get from DI was 3%. The EFI 5.0L Coyote is a fabulous engine. If you have one value it. It will run forever trouble free. Proper maintenance of course.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
For ‘15 to ‘17 S550 GT owners; direct injection, I think, is not something better, it is just something different. If food on your table depends upon winning drag races, then you want DI. I prefer the EFI 5.0 coyotes. EFI shoots the fuel in front of the valves. DI shoots behind the valves. Think about it, DI systems inject near top dead center at max cyl pressure. The systems are more complex, much higher pressure, are used with higher compression ratio, and yield a much hotter engine. Heat adversely effects life. EFI is flat out bullet proof, works forever. DI cannot take advantage of the cleaning agents mixed in all pump gas. What is cleaned? The valve seats. Pushing a DI engine hard and long can burn a valve. In Fords own tests: 5.0 DI v 5.0 EFI, the best fuel efficiency gain they get from DI was 3%. The EFI 5.0L Coyote is a fabulous engine. If you have one value it. It will run forever trouble free. Proper maintenance of course.
Is this why the new engines make the death-rattle I have heard about?

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Is this why the new engines make the death-rattle I have heard about?
SSSHHHHHHH.....do NOT bring up "that of which we do not speak" or you'll have a mob of people up in here claiming it does not exist.

I haven't seen anything to tie the direct injection directly to the rattle you speak of myself.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
‘18+ Coyote engines use _both_ DI and EFI.
Exactly. The carbon build up issues of DI-only won't be a thing here.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Exactly. The carbon build up issues of DI-only won't be a thing here.
I believe you. Ford engineers addressed all issues DI presents. I am not knocking DI. I will buy it eventually.

My point to the EFI owners is you have a great engine with EFI, DI is not reason alone to trade to newer.
I think the crank case emission oil separators are more important with DI.
I use one on my EFI 4.6 liter and it fills every 1000 miles. Another EFI feature is you can swap to upgrade injectors in about 15 minutes per bank. (disconnect the batt). With DI, due to the high pressure, I don't think anybody should touch it. And probably nobody needs to.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Unless someone has 25k they can give me I can’t spend more money on a car sorry :)

Sponsored

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
I must be getting older when I see this comment and say "'98 Cobra is not a classic! Wait, it is 20 YEARS OLD!?!?! I guess it is..." I still always see the "classics" as the '70 and older muscle cars that were classics when I was growing up.
my insurance company agrees with you, 20 years isn't classic. that was a two statement sentence, the Cobra was in reference to a favorite pet being put down and the word classic may refer to any car that is timeless for what ever reason...age, design, etc. Dman

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
my insurance company agrees with you, 20 years isn't classic. that was a two statement sentence, the Cobra was in reference to a favorite pet being put down and the word classic may refer to any car that is timeless for what ever reason...age, design, etc. Dman
My reference was purely "it is not old enough to even consider being considered a classic (mind not processing that 1998 was actually 20 YEARS AGO", but it was older than the "classic" Mustangs of the 60's when I was 10 and up, anywhere from 15 to 20 years old at that time. It is a nice car, but as others have said, the 60's cars were followed by at least 10 years, and arguably 20, of cars that were at worst inferior performers, and at best maybe at parity. I still remember Motor Trend in the very early 90's producing a "fastest cars they have ever tested" segment and the '71 Boss 351 Mustang (think that was the model) was in the top 10 even at that time for 0-60 and quarter mile. Today's F150 with the 3.5TT equals it to the 60, and is less than a second behind at the quarter, and the Raptor beats it handily at both. The late 90's and beyond have changed things dramatically where speed/quickness/features have increased along the way, so a late 90's car that had blistering performance at the time can be beat, in some metrics, by a V6 family sedan or truck of today.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
My reference was purely "it is not old enough to even consider being considered a classic (mind not processing that 1998 was actually 20 YEARS AGO", but it was older than the "classic" Mustangs of the 60's when I was 10 and up, anywhere from 15 to 20 years old at that time. It is a nice car, but as others have said, the 60's cars were followed by at least 10 years, and arguably 20, of cars that were at worst inferior performers, and at best maybe at parity. I still remember Motor Trend in the very early 90's producing a "fastest cars they have ever tested" segment and the '71 Boss 351 Mustang (think that was the model) was in the top 10 even at that time for 0-60 and quarter mile. Today's F150 with the 3.5TT equals it to the 60, and is less than a second behind at the quarter, and the Raptor beats it handily at both. The late 90's and beyond have changed things dramatically where speed/quickness/features have increased along the way, so a late 90's car that had blistering performance at the time can be beat, in some metrics, by a V6 family sedan or truck of today.
the automotive landscape has always been about more and less. when you realize the Eco boost has as much hp as my '98 Cobra did from the factory, an engine that was capable of near 500 hp, it confirms the more or less attitude of those who make the production decisions as well as the EPA involvement. I prefer a balance of power and handling and generally lean to the handling but today, the power wars are all about selling the next BIG thing. Dman