Are Racing Stripes LAME? PLEASE HELP!

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
I’ve never been a fan of the stripes but it really is a personal choice. If they make you feel good that should be all that matters. I may consider adding a black with red trim one to go on my hood after I see what it looks like without one. I have to wait to see what it looks like without one before making the final decision.
Sponsored

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Not crazy about the lemans stripes on the 350. I like the wider double stripes in a semi flat or matte finish. But stripe it up the way you want it.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's a personal preference so only you can answer your own questions.

Some interesting points though.

People either forget (or some don't realize) racing stripes were actually started for "racing" (shocking I know). It's a way to tell a car apart from the other white cars from a distance. The White GT350 with Blue Stripes. The Blue # 33 car with black stripes, etc.

While I think racing stripes on a car that's actually either made for track racing or comes from a lineage make sense, they're way overplayed nowadays as they're just an aesthetic/cool guy feature and not functional in any sense of the word.

To see a 2 ton dodge with racing stripes is kinda laughable when you think about it.

It's like seeing a 300 lb on a bike in a lycra speed suit.

It's along the same lines as the ricers/posers with a giant wing (and no other aero whatsoever)

On a GT350, it's way more appropriate because of the lineage (and the actual track capabilities of the car compared to most other cars).

Once we're past that, personal preference and taste take over. I think they look better on some paint combinations than others. And it is a way to make your car "unique" compared to any others of the same paint scheme.

The design of the stripes (number of stripes, width, spacing) also plays into whether they look good or not. I've seen some guys with a single stripe (no thanks) and others that the overall dimensions (width and spacing) just didn't look right.

On a GT350, the "standard" stripes design looks pretty good as long as the color combo isn't obnoxious.

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with others its your car, but IMO stripes are lame.

OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Not crazy about the lemans stripes on the 350. I like the wider double stripes in a semi flat or matte finish. But stripe it up the way you want it.
Wandering if the paint will like fade overtime and if I ever decide to change or remove them if you'll be able to notice it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
like everyone else says its your car so if you like it get it... that being said i love mine... it works for my car, i get tons of compliments, it realy stands out. i love it.
IMG_2680 (2).JPG

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
Wandering if the paint will be will like fade overtime.
Mine didnt, i had grey stripes removed and blue put on, i have pics of strips off and there is no difference in color.
IMG_2261.JPG

OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350

People either forget (or some don't realize) racing stripes were actually started for "racing" (shocking I know). It's a way to tell a car apart from the other white cars from a distance. The White GT350 with Blue Stripes. The Blue # 33 car with black stripes, etc.

While I think racing stripes on a car that's actually either made for track racing or comes from a lineage make sense, they're way overplayed nowadays as they're just an aesthetic/cool guy feature and not functional in any sense of the word.

To see a 2 ton dodge with racing stripes is kinda laughable when you think about it.

It's along the same lines as the ricers/posers with a giant wing (and no other aero whatsoever)

On a GT350, it's way more appropriate because of the lineage (and the actual track capabilities of the car compared to most other cars).

Once we're past that, personal preference and taste take over. I think they look better on some paint combinations than others. And it is a way to make your car "unique" compared to any others of the same paint scheme.

The design of the stripes (number of stripes, width, spacing) also plays into whether they look good or not. I've seen some guys with a single stripe (no thanks) and others that the overall dimensions (width and spacing) just didn't look right.

On a GT350, the "standard" stripes design looks pretty good as long as the color combo isn't obnoxious.
T

You have a great point here.

OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
like everyone else says its your car so if you like it get it... that being said i love mine... it works for my car, i get tons of compliments, it realy stands out. i love it.
IMG_2680 (2).JPG
Looks mean

Reactions: Ock

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
You gotta do the front or remove the rest of what you have. Blue on grey isn’t my favorite for sure but stripes can look good with the right color combo. I don’t have them on my car but you do you. Just don’t ever do that ugly ass offset bullshit the ricers are fond of. That looks horrible in any color.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Are Racing Stripes LAME? PLEASE HELP!

Yes. Yes they are.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Stripes get your attention, I like them.

OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
You gotta do the front or remove the rest of what you have. Blue on grey isn’t my favorite for sure but stripes can look good with the right color combo. I don’t have them on my car but you do you. Just don’t ever do that ugly ass offset bullshit the ricers are fond of. That looks horrible in any color.
Lol ye I would never do that side stripe it reminds of the ppl that razor a line threw there eyebrow.

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
always up to personal taste. to my taste they can be both lame AF or cool AF depending on the car, the stripe and other mods that may be done. you have to determine what's right for you on your car. great thing about these cars is that they are a blank canvas, do what you want and have fun, you can always change it out if it gets boring to you

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I don't think the "Le Mans" stripes (often referred to as "racing stripes") are lame so to speak.

What I find is that some which are painted or vinyl applied - the stripe width AND the separation line between the stripes is either way to narrow or sometimes way too wide.

They couid be considered by some to be overrated but to others, it adds character to the vehicle. On some vehicles they "fit", on others not so fitting due to body lines, type of vehicle, etc. Colors can also be too loud or too soft - depending on the underlying base color of the vehicle.

So if anyone has some reading time - here's the real story of how the "racing stripes" came to be:
https://briggscunningham.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/LE-MANS-STRIPES.pdf
Sponsored