Sponsored

Are 10 Speed Automatic Trannies Getting Better Since Introduction?

braxus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang V6, 2019 Mustang GT
Im wondering on this issue. I've read many complaints about 10 speed automatics failing or breaking down on these new cars. Have they finally started to work out the bugs on these 10 speeds, or do they still have some issues? Are the issues common enough or is it just a story of the bad ones getting all the attention online? Just wondering if maybe the 2020s have solved the problems or not?
Sponsored

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Im wondering on this issue. I've read many complaints about 10 speed automatics failing or breaking down on these new cars. Have they finally started to work out the bugs on these 10 speeds, or do they still have some issues? Are the issues common enough or is it just a story of the bad ones getting all the attention online? Just wondering if maybe the 2020s have solved the problems or not?
My 2020 will intermittently downshift from 4-3 and mainly 3-1 like you hit a pot hole. Unlike the 8-speed ZF in my Audi, this is not anywhere near as smooth.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Some 10R80 owners are pushing more than stock HP through these transmissions and literally beating on them during track days (drag/auto-x) without any functional or operational issues at all.

The 10R80 in my 2018 didn’t start acting up until 35k miles from new. Mine was fixed under warranty and the problem was a faulty valve body. After the repair the trans shifts better than new with no harsh shifts, no bad transitions from Park to Reverse or Reverse to Drive or any clunkiness.

Did the valve body fail because it was in a “Ford”? Did it fail due to manufacturing QC issues from the vendor supplying the part? Did it fail because perhaps minute metal particles prohibited the valves from correctly functioning? Who knows - it failed and was replaced.

The 10R80 is an excellent trans; there’s bound to be some out of the thousands manufactured that will have minor issues; it’s a mass produced trans being used in many applications.

The software has been updated to extinguish some of the earlier customer complaints about harsh shifts. However as I have noted in the 10R80 threads, if a Customer still experiences any harsh or abnormal shifts AFTER a Ford Service Center update via IDS - the issue is NOT software related, it would be a mechanical issue that needs further diagnosis.

Most common repair is replacement of the valve body - fairly simple repair for the experienced Tech. I wouldn’t refer to this as being any type of epidemic problem with the 10R80 because again you’re only hearing of such issues on a consolidated forum that does not represent ALL S550 10R80 owners.

Now (and this is not a bash at all), but there have been more reported MT82 issues on this site if comparing trans related problems vs the 10R80 from a warranty repair perspective (even if taking a sample from only 2018-forward).

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Some 10R80 owners are pushing more than stock HP through these transmissions and literally beating on them during track days (drag/auto-x) without any functional or operational issues at all.
I'm a racer new to the 10R80 and flogging a new 2019 end of year build in clubracing. I find the 10R80 working just as good and just as fast as the porsche PDK in the 2017 918 cayman.
Sponsored