Sponsored

Anyone experience turbo compressor surge?

OP
OP
TunaFish15

TunaFish15

2017 SRT Challenger owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.4L Mustang Eater
Just seems strange that Ford wouldn't have made sure you don't get surge on the stock tune.

EDIT: After reading this -

http://www.gfb.com.au/tech/tech-articles/11-the-truth-about-compressor-surge

I think it's compressor surge too. BOV wouldn't make that noise and it's also probably not a big deal for longevity for those concerned. Learn something new everyday.
Thank you dragonacc for the link, learning more and more each day regarding the EBM.

BTW, did that place in California finish up the upgrade/new goodies? I haven't been there in awhile to peek inside their garage.
Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Thank you dragonacc for the link, learning more and more each day regarding the EBM.

BTW, did that place in California finish up the upgrade/new goodies? I haven't been there in awhile to peek inside their garage.

Nope, still out there. You should stop by if you have the chance, they should have some neat stuff going on with the car.

Biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport
Definitely compressor surge. I would have the dealer check it out, could be a faulty BOV (or part of the BOV system).

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Well, I know what compressor surge is and i don't know why anyone woukd call barking. Anyway, I have 7.5k miles on my Ecoboost and have not experienced any compressor surge either stock or tuned.

Biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport
Well, I know what compressor surge is and i don't know why anyone woukd call barking. Anyway, I have 7.5k miles on my Ecoboost and have not experienced any compressor surge either stock or tuned.
I've never heard it called "barking" either, maybe fluttering if anything.

Regardless, based on the video OP linked, it's surge.

Surge should never happen if the pressure relief system works properly. That's why I would take it to the dealer and have them look at the BOV system after recreating the problem.

Video/ audio of the noise in vehicle would help too incase they can't recreate it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TunaFish15

TunaFish15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.4L Mustang Eater
I've never heard it called "barking" either, maybe fluttering if anything.

Regardless, based on the video OP linked, it's surge.

Surge should never happen if the pressure relief system works properly. That's why I would take it to the dealer and have them look at the BOV system after recreating the problem.

Video/ audio of the noise in vehicle would help too incase they can't recreate it.
Thank you, I'll have some time this weekend to try and get it recorded, just hit or miss at times since it doesn't happen frequently. I'll change the thread title to read surge instead of barking, lol.

Spoolin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost PP 6spd Manual
Sounds like your bov is shot and not opening, therefore not getting rid of pressure so the air pushes back at the compressor wheel of the turbo in the opposite way making that noise. Ithe 240sx boys run without a bov all the time and most of them are fine, im sure you are too but i would look at my bov to start with if i were you.

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
Was able to grab this today.
[ame]

Last edited:

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
I have hammered large turbos with surge for years with no bypass or blowoff valves. I have yet to hear my EB surge. I hear a good deal of the stock bypass fluttering, which could be mistaken for surge, but it is not.

Listen at 12 seconds. That is surge:

[ame]

Sponsored
OP
OP
TunaFish15

TunaFish15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.4L Mustang Eater
I finally caught the bastard so I posted the sound clip to my first post, let me know what you think? It's not a solid whoosh sound, it fluctuates for sure.

[ame]

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
Mine does that as well sometimes. I love how it sounds wish I could make it happen on command. The long pshht of the stock bov is annoying IMO.
Sponsored