Sponsored

Anyone experience a weird issue when rev matching into 2nd sometimes?

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Nothing personal taken.

Just trying then to understand how your throttle blip is not or is weakly being recognized by the computer.

And as for other forum members comment - On a nice hilly winding country road, spirited driving (not closed race track type), Heal toe throttle blipping down shifts is fun and it makes for good practice.

Okay I get it. You want to coast (de clutch) while you decide with you right foot when to blip the throttle to down shift and all the time not braking or able to should situation suddenly change.
Precisely! I'm saying that I experience this issue when just slowing down and down shifting into 2nd from 3rd, before even going for the brake. Just simply hitting the throttle, and having nothing register in regards to a blip. Maybe the ECU needs to be reset or something. I should also note that my car is completely stock, no tuning or any software related items that could affect the throttle.

Agreed regarding the heel-toe, though honestly I'm never driving hard enough to use it. Quickest I'll run the car to is 70-80mph on an empty back road straight away, and never when there is a sharp turn following. I'm seeing the issue pop up simply during times when I'm wanting to shift/downshift for the fun of it. I prefer to stay in the 3000-5500 rpm range so I frequently upshift/downshift to stay in this range just to enjoy the sounds the car maeks.

So glad there is a thread about this, for a while I thought I had a lemon! My car shows the same symptom at random times. However, I experience this throttle registration delay only, and i mean ONLY, when the car has been driven for some duration or 30+ miles. It would make sense if the issue occurs in the beginning as one (not me) could argue that the transmission/engine isn't warmed up enough and so on, but this happens at a much later time.

Working for FCA we are given access to MANY competitor cars for testing/evaluation 24/7. Asian, European, American, you name it..., even imported Czech, French and Chinese cars, we have access to all. Which means we drive these vehicles back to back. Guess what? With all these cars that are manual, I've never once experienced delayed throttle registration from 3rd down to 2nd until I get back into my car. That said, it may not be 100% true, but I think we can all agree it's obvious that something is going on with a few of our cars.

At FCA, as well as all other major car brands, we continuously have people test parts even after the vehicle release. Issues that no one expects do occur, and this may be one that Ford has yet to discover or figured out.

Since only a few of us are experiencing this issue, the thing to do is call Ford and hopefully they'll listen. For now, we're just the crazies that no one wants to believe.

PS. THIS IS NOT ABOUT HEEL-TOE, OR HOW AND WHERE WE'RE DRIVING. It's about having successfully rev-matched and downshifted from 6th through 3rd, then all of a sudden WOOPSIES the throttle refuses to respond. Furthermore, I do not even know these jive turkeys and we all have the same issues in the SAME gear.
Exactly! When it very first happened, I thought it was user error myself honestly, until I started paying more attention to it and making notes on when it happened and what the circumstances at the time were in regards to what I was trying to do. Quickly realized that it was not me and was a random intermittent issue that was popping up.

Going to mention it to my dealer to reset the car's ECU perhaps when I go in for the hose recall, see if that clears things up.
Sponsored

Jisker91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Was there ever a fix or update for this? My '17 350R does the exact same thing when shifting from 3rd to 2nd. It is definitely not user error.

rlea85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
2018 GT350 here, 18k miles - noticed this repeatedly, ONLY happens in 3rd->2nd downshift rev-matching. Complete lack of throttle response, definitely not user error. Appears to be in the ECU/throttle maps/throttle adaption somewhere.

Bumping in case anyone else has additional info or has noticed the same thing.

P.S. Previous poster - you have excellent taste in both cars and video games!

JakeHillsucks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 2019 gt350r, 2018 Mercedes C43
2019 gt350r here. I just noticed this for the first time yesterday when rev matching from 3rd to 2nd and immediately had a hazy memory of this thread.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Not sure if this is a common problem or not, but if I try to blip the throttle at the same time while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, I get this weird "partial throttle" sound. Like as opposed to blipping 1-2k RPMs higher, it seems like only a little of the throttle blip is registered.

The only way I can successfully do it is to clutch in, blip while in 3rd, and then downshift to 2nd. Trying to blip simultaneously while going down to 2nd results in a very small (maybe 200 rpm) blip -- again, like only half of it is registered or something.

I'll try to get a video going today, but figured I'd make a post already to see if anyone else knows what I'm talking about.
Check your foot position or maybe clutch position? You can get something of that nature when your brake and gas get ahead of the clutch and you are bumping the gas while hitting the brakes with the car still in gear. Just my theory on it.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Those in the know, know.

All others, this could be helpful:

Yes, I understand the OP and others are saying their cars are not responding as intended but I thought this provided a good overview of how the blip works.

JakeHillsucks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 2019 gt350r, 2018 Mercedes C43
Check your foot position or maybe clutch position? You can get something of that nature when your brake and gas get ahead of the clutch and you are bumping the gas while hitting the brakes with the car still in gear. Just my theory on it.
Just like OP, this only happens from 3rd to 2nd. It has nothing to do with foot or clutch position because it's the same through all gears. Only 3rd to 2nd is an issue.

ningli6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ning
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Having this issue on my 2019. Very annoying when it happens. I now pay extra attention whenever I downshift into 2nd. Might ask Ford next time I bring the car in.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I have the same issue with my 2019 GT350 (non-R) with 10K. It has always done this and I've just kinda ignored it and chalked it up to idiosyncrasies of the car. It would be interesting to see if their is a fix for this.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
I have the same issue with my 2019 GT350 (non-R) with 10K. It has always done this and I've just kinda ignored it and chalked it up to idiosyncrasies of the car. It would be interesting to see if their is a fix for this.
wow. I’m not the only one. It happens once in a blue moon. I told it in to Ford a few months back but because of its sporadic nature I couldn’t reproduce it during a 30 minute drive with a tech.
Sponsored