Sponsored

Anyone experience a weird issue when rev matching into 2nd sometimes?

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
It isn't about trying to look cool at all. If you are in gridlock traffic, I absolutely agree with your perspective. But in light traffic/less commonly driven areas I downshift all the time. Why? Because I want to have the ability to accelerate or react immediately if the need should arise, or if an emergency maneuver is required.

He isn't imagining anything; reread the posts before jumping to the conclusion that the OP doesn't know how to operate a manual. I am an experienced adept manual driver and sometimes experience the same odd issue. Have never experienced it on any other manual transmission car I've ever driven, so no, it is not a wild imagination or user error IMO.
:thumbsup: Agreed 100% with everything here.

Crazy talk right here :crazy:

:D

-T
+1.

Went for a drive yesterday and paid particular attention to the downshifts. Nothing out of the ordinary was noted. Throttle responded appropriately and rpm's rose to where they should.

I wonder why two people have this issue but not others. For ref. my car is an early build; Sept. 2015.
Well, just as a quick update, I'm pretty sure this isn't a user error. I know some people are gonna say I drive like an idiot, doing things for no reason, whatever, but yesterday I took off from a red light, went into second gear, and the light not too far in front of me turned red. Instead of shifting into third or neutral, I just left it in second and as I was coming down from like 4k RPMs, I noticed that when I clutched in and tried to just do a quick rev from around 2.5k, the throttle blip/acceleration/rev wasn't registered. Instead, it just rev'd 100-200 RPMs up (even though I pushed the peddle down to what I'd say 5-6k). Now this time it happened without even shifting from third to second like usual. It was just simply clutching in and trying to do a quick rev. Couldn't even do that. A few days ago when it did happen while shifting, I noticed I could only reproduce it if I tried to blip while in the motion of going from 3rd to 2nd. Blipping while still in 3rd and then moving to 2nd is always nice and solid, it's when it's simultaneous when it becomes a problem.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Interesting. It probably won't do anything but what about disconnecting the battery for awhile and re-attach to reset the modules?

Hope you get this figured out so you could get the full enjoyment out of the car.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Interesting. It probably won't do anything but what about disconnecting the battery for awhile and re-attach to reset the modules?

Hope you get this figured out so you could get the full enjoyment out of the car.
Might give that a shot soon and see if it does any good. I really appreciate it man. Now that I know what causes it though, I can still enjoy the car fully. I don't usually need to rev match into second but the rare times I do, I'll just have to do it a little differently I guess, lol.

Thanks for everyone's help here, seriously. I'll obviously post back when/if I get to the bottom of this :)

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
I believe not mentioned or asked, but how do you have all your mode settings set? Some of them will have a direct effect on throttle response to keep you from loosing control. That might explain what happened when you entered that corner and tried to blip the throttle. Slip angles going south. The computer is looking at slip angles and sez oh no you are not going to do that on my shift.

So your factory vs modified settings should be noted, studied, looked at and variations taken into account. You might want to bone up of your driving technique. The owners manual actually gives a pretty good description of what each setting does or does not when its supressed.

My two cents.

Sponsored

RR350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
H2043 / HR650
I notice sometimes when i go to rev match from 3-2 or downshift in any gear for that matter, The blip doesn't register then my exhaust goes into normal mode for a split second then back to Sport? This happens very rarely yet when it does its very annoying.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I believe not mentioned or asked, but how do you have all your mode settings set? Some of them will have a direct effect on throttle response to keep you from loosing control. That might explain what happened when you entered that corner and tried to blip the throttle. Slip angles going south. The computer is looking at slip angles and sez oh no you are not going to do that on my shift.

So your factory vs modified settings should be noted, studied, looked at and variations taken into account. You might want to bone up of your driving technique. The owners manual actually gives a pretty good description of what each setting does or does not when its supressed.

My two cents.
I agree this could be a potential scenario, but is hardly relevant of when we are simply slowing down in a straight line in a very leisurely manner.

I noticed that the issue presents itself far less often in Sport mode, where the throttle sensitivity is dialed up. Still happens sometimes, but not nearly as often as if I have it in Normal mode. I typically drive the car in Normal with exhaust valves open just for the extra protection from the electronic nannies, but found that I almost had to drive it in Sport mode to try to alleviate the throttle issue.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I notice sometimes when i go to rev match from 3-2 or downshift in any gear for that matter, The blip doesn't register then my exhaust goes into normal mode for a split second then back to Sport? This happens very rarely yet when it does its very annoying.
Very good description sir, didn't think to explain it like that, but I agree, it is as if the exhaust almost instantly reverts back into normal quiet mode when that blip is attempted, and reverts back again instantly.

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I have yet to experience this on my R model. If its stops raining here for the better part of the day, I'll take it out and see if I notice the resistance to blip.

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay I terrorized the country back roads east of Atascadero today. Purposely braked to slow down and blip a down shift from 3rd to 2nd. No hesitation by the engine to not respond to the blip command. I botched a couple downshifts, but to no fault of the engine responding to a forced blip. I experimented in both normal and sport mode. No blip hesitation. What can I say.

My suspicion is operator error. But Im not there when this happens to you.

My recommendation is keep practiceing down shift blips from 3rd to 2nd until you don't have to think it thru.

Check your foot positions on the pedals. Its called heal toe but its very awkward in any car IMHO. What works for me is ball of foot at big toe on the brake pedal, whats left over reaching for the gas pedal. Simply roll your foot to depress the gas pedal and blip the throttle. Train yourself to do that while braking.

Reading your post again, you have to get the rev's up before pulling it into 2nd, thats the objective engine and trans input shaft 2nd gear speed matched. Can't do that in 3rd

Just MHO

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Okay I terrorized the country back roads east of Atascadero today. Purposely braked to slow down and blip a down shift from 3rd to 2nd. No hesitation by the engine to not respond to the blip command. I botched a couple downshifts, but to no fault of the engine responding to a forced blip. I experimented in both normal and sport mode. No blip hesitation. What can I say.

My suspicion is operator error. But Im not there when this happens to you.

My recommendation is keep practiceing down shift blips from 3rd to 2nd until you don't have to think it thru.

Check your foot positions on the pedals. Its called heal toe but its very awkward in any car IMHO. What works for me is ball of foot at big toe on the brake pedal, whats left over reaching for the gas pedal. Simply roll your foot to depress the gas pedal and blip the throttle. Train yourself to do that while braking.

Reading your post again, you have to get the rev's up before pulling it into 2nd, thats the objective engine and trans input shaft 2nd gear speed matched. Can't do that in 3rd

Just MHO
If you are convinced that it is operator related problem, how can you explain that I have never had this issue in the other manual transmission cars that I have owned/driven? I understand that it could sound like that, but go back, read in depth the situations that myself and others have talked about when we experience this. It is very clearly not some special situation or unique instances when this happens; it is very random in nature.

I also never heel/toe downshift. Incredibly awkward and difficult to even attempt when simply driving on back roads where you are not using high brake effort thus making it easier.

And you shouldn't have to complete the blip prior to putting the shift lever into the gear position. The clutch is in remember, all you are doing is revving the engine itself to match the input shafts speed, the transmission is decoupled at this point until the clutch is released.

Like I said, majority of the time works perfectly fine, if I purposefully slow down my right foot in regards to my "hit the throttle to blip" speed, thus actually spend MORE time on the throttle as my leg is physically moving slower, I NEVER have the issue. As I suggested, it seems to be that sometimes I think I hit the throttle too quickly for the computer to register.

There are too many other symptoms that randomly happen for it to be user error. As another user above mentioned, it literally sounds like the car goes into quiet mode for a split second during the attempted blip, and then reverts afterwards instantly.

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

If you're not combining braking and throttle blip with the right hand foot you are not doing this procedure correctly. See the attached detail instruction.

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_heeltoe

The only difference for me and others is in the way some of us apply heal toe technique. Traditional heal toe IMO is awkward and not comfortable to repeatedbly execute. Instead with the big toe is over the brake pedal and the rest of the foot partially hangs over the gas pedal. Rolling the foot moves the throttle, hence the blip. You don't have to pivot the foot.

You are adding delay between braking and throttle.

Some of the pedal cover kits offer a wider pad got the gas pedal making the rolled foot motion on the gas pedal easier. I posted previously what I had on my 05 Mustang GT.

Have fun, get a pedal cover kit, learn how to do the move correctly and stop blaming the car.

Watch this video [ame]

Last edited:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

If you're not combining braking and throttle blip with the right hand foot you are not doing this procedure correctly. See the attached detail instruction.

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_heeltoe

The only difference for me and others is in the way some of us apply heal toe technique. Traditional heal toe IMO is awkward and not comfortable to repeatedbly execute. Instead with the big toe is over the brake pedal and the rest of the foot partially hangs over the gas pedal. Rolling the foot moves the throttle, hence the blip. You don't have to pivot the foot.

You are adding delay between braking and throttle.

Some of the pedal cover kits offer a wider pad got the gas pedal making the rolled foot motion on the gas pedal easier. I posted previously what I had on my 05 Mustang GT.

Have fun, get a pedal cover kit, learn how to do the move correctly and stop blaming the car.

Watch this video
When is heel-toeing ever necessary on the STREET? It isn't, actually it NEVER is. And if you are driving that hard on the street that you NEED to be using the heel toe method braking into a corner, you shouldn't have a license to begin with.

Should be pretty darn obvious, if you are simply using your right foot to blip, it is EASIER TO DO than trying to heel-toe. Hence, a lot LESS likely to introduce human error.

I don't care about adding "delay", you know why? Cause I'm not on a race track. When I downshift into 2nd, guess what, I'm doing maybe 30mph IF that. I sure as hell don't need to worry about causing any delay because again, guess what, I'M ON THE STREET.

Herp derp derp, seems hard for you to understand, but it's not my first manual car. I drive a 15 Vette regularly that I have no issue in, have driven other Mustangs, Camaros, owned a manual WRX for 4 years, NEVER had an issue with any of those cars. Hitting the throttle with your right foot is a pretty simple process... just push your foot while having the clutch in, and the revs blip, not a complicated process. Have driven the exact same manner the past 9 years since I got my license and started driving manuals and have never had a single issue like this until now.

But somehow you're suggesting its MY error when simply talking about hitting the gas pedal, not even talking about heel-toe here, just simply hitting the throttle to blip... do you think I'm a monkey? I hit the gas, nothing happens. Simple as that. :headbonk::headbonk:

Don't take my caps as yelling because I'm not, simply looking to emphasize some basic points that you continually ignore while trying to explain heel-toeing (which I know how to do) which is also completely irrelevant of the discussion.

EDIT: I do appreciate your attempts at helping the situation. IF it were an instance of improperly performing the heel-toe, I would be grateful of your advice/links you have posted. Please understand that this is simply not the case, and I feel you are not reading what we are saying as you already have it in your mind what is wrong, and therefore ignoring the details that we are listing. The problem that you are attempting to help solve, is not the problem we are experiencing.

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing personal taken.

Just trying then to understand how your throttle blip is not or is weakly being recognized by the computer.

And as for other forum members comment - On a nice hilly winding country road, spirited driving (not closed race track type), Heal toe throttle blipping down shifts is fun and it makes for good practice.

Okay I get it. You want to coast (de clutch) while you decide with you right foot when to blip the throttle to down shift and all the time not braking or able to should situation suddenly change.

Last edited:

JL947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
So glad there is a thread about this, for a while I thought I had a lemon! My car shows the same symptom at random times. However, I experience this throttle registration delay only, and i mean ONLY, when the car has been driven for some duration or 30+ miles. It would make sense if the issue occurs in the beginning as one (not me) could argue that the transmission/engine isn't warmed up enough and so on, but this happens at a much later time.

Working for FCA we are given access to MANY competitor cars for testing/evaluation 24/7. Asian, European, American, you name it..., even imported Czech, French and Chinese cars, we have access to all. Which means we drive these vehicles back to back. Guess what? With all these cars that are manual, I've never once experienced delayed throttle registration from 3rd down to 2nd until I get back into my car. That said, it may not be 100% true, but I think we can all agree it's obvious that something is going on with a few of our cars.

At FCA, as well as all other major car brands, we continuously have people test parts even after the vehicle release. Issues that no one expects do occur, and this may be one that Ford has yet to discover or figured out.

Since only a few of us are experiencing this issue, the thing to do is call Ford and hopefully they'll listen. For now, we're just the crazies that no one wants to believe.

PS. THIS IS NOT ABOUT HEEL-TOE, OR HOW AND WHERE WE'RE DRIVING. It's about having successfully rev-matched and downshifted from 6th through 3rd, then all of a sudden WOOPSIES the throttle refuses to respond. Furthermore, I do not even know these jive turkeys and we all have the same issues in the SAME gear.
Sponsored

Last edited: