Sponsored

Anyone experience a weird issue when rev matching into 2nd sometimes?

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I never noticed that. Its possible the the computer isnt accepting the throttle input for some reason (emissions or something)

Are you sure the clutch is fully depressed when you Blip it?
Yup. I'm pretty sure at least. I wish I could reproduce it 100% of the time so that I could know when to record.
Sponsored

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
When decreasing speed for a turn for example I'll shift from 3rd to 2nd as follows:
clutch in, braking and rolling my foot brake onto the accelerator to blip it, then downshift.
On the track its a bit different procedure for me... Brake hard...then at the right time clutch in and rolling right foot on throttle to blip it....then release clutch and brake about the same time as the engine will provide any additional braking in most instances. Just that way I go about it.:thumbsup:

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
If you need to blip in your situation, you are using engine braking to stop the car, which creates wear on expensive parts. Let the brakes do the work for you to slow down in those situations.
Jake you are soooo right. This brings a very funny story about to mind about a friend of mine while he was attending the Bondurant Driving School in AZ. His instructor said to him after a few laps riding with my friend that he must be a very wealthy guy...and my friend said...."...well I do ok....but why do you ask...?" The instructor said well..."...the way you downshift without even trying to heel/toe you must be rebuilding your gearboxes all the time...at great expense!" :lol: I thought that was hilarious and laughed my ass off as I know my friend had no clue what the guy was talking about and he still doesn't heel/toe to this day!!! Just pays for the gearbox rebuilding. He doesn't even try...:doh: Sooo around town heel and toeing is pretty difficult as you are never anywhere near threshold braking where it becomes easier to do and there is just no need for it.:shrug:

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Very interesting point guys, and this is my first standard so I'm definitely open to advice. One question I have for you though is if you're in 5th gear and you're approaching a red that suddenly turns green, what do you do? Don't you downshift from 5th -> 4 (and maybe 3rd) and continue driving? 5th to neutral and then to third? I don't understand how you can downshift without blipping and not have the car brake hard as you release the clutch. It seems like not blipping would result in an uncomfortable braking situation. Is that not the case?

I really don't know how to downshift properly and smoothly without rev matching (requiring a blip right?) unless I'm downshifting at like 600 RPMs or something.

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
One question I have for you though is if you're in 5th gear and you're approaching a red that suddenly turns green, what do you do? Don't you downshift from 5th -> 4 (and maybe 3rd) and continue driving? 5th to neutral and then to third? I don't understand how you can downshift without blipping and not have the car brake hard as you release the clutch. It seems like not blipping would result in an uncomfortable braking situation. Is that not the case?

Totally circumstantial.

Sponsored

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Totally circumstantial.
Gotcha. Generally speaking though, is there any way to downshift without blipping? Wouldn't it always be rough without blipping?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Sooo around town heel and toeing is pretty difficult as you are never anywhere near threshold braking where it becomes easier to do and there is just no need for it.:shrug:
+1. Good story [MENTION=15605]shelbyman[/MENTION]...
Agree 100% w the above :cheers:

[MENTION=17459]altjx[/MENTION], this might sound stupid or too basic but try googling heel/toe shifting videos. I did a few years ago and it helped me understand when I was getting started. I think riding along w an instructor or friend with more experience (and/or attending Track Attack if you can swing it) would really help in driving home good technique. Good luck!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Gotcha. Generally speaking though, is there any way to downshift without blipping? Wouldn't it always be rough without blipping?
Ease off the clutch slower so you don't buck and bump. I still rev match regardless of my situation but that's just me and my preference. There's nothing "wrong" with slipping your clutch on a downshift, just take it easy. Will you clutch wear out faster? Sure. But what's your baseline comparison to wear and tear? If you're talking about a track rat or a drag racer, that's not very fair. Again, all circumstantial. There are people who have been driving stick who downshift and slip all the time and their clutch is fine. Why? Because they're not abusive.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
+1. Good story [MENTION=15605]shelbyman[/MENTION]...
Agree 100% w the above :cheers:

[MENTION=17459]altjx[/MENTION], this might sound stupid or too basic but try googling heel/toe shifting videos. I did a few years ago and it helped me understand when I was getting started. I think riding along w an instructor or friend with more experience (and/or attending Track Attack if you can swing it) would really help in driving home good technique. Good luck!
Thanks [MENTION=21788]Tank[/MENTION]. I think he thought I was trying to heel toe shift but I haven't. I was pretty much just trying to downshift and engine brake. I think I'm going to try to make it to the GT350 track attack event this year though, lol.

Ease off the clutch slower so you don't buck and bump. I still rev match regardless of my situation but that's just me and my preference. There's nothing "wrong" with slipping your clutch on a downshift, just take it easy. Will you clutch wear out faster? Sure. But what's your baseline comparison to wear and tear? If you're talking about a track rat or a drag racer, that's not very fair. Again, all circumstantial. There are people who have been driving stick who downshift and slip all the time and their clutch is fine. Why? Because they're not abusive.
Gotcha. That's kind of the way I looked at it too. I know there's more wear and tear using the clutch more than necessary and stuff, but I guess reading a few posts here made it seem like it would wear out much faster, making me more concerned. I prefer to rev match too just because it's so much smoother. I just only do it when I think I'll need a lower gear depending on the situation (light is about to turn green, getting off of an exit that requires you to keep going and not stop once you get to the end, etc).

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I rev match downshift without braking, as I dont brake hard enough to proper heel toe. I do it mainly to enjoy the sounds, and its fun. I have an 8yr warranty on the car, along with an 8yr maintenance plan that covers clutch discs. Pretty much worry free enjoyment of the car.

Sponsored

jakermc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Lots of good advice here and 'circumstantial' is a good summary. As you are new to driving a manual, part of this is just discovering your own rhythm. It will come with more miles. In the mean time, a little more clutch slip and a little harder throttle blip may smooth out the issue you are experiencing.

I've been racing cars for a long time and have driven many different cars over that time so I heel and toe constantly just out of habit. It's muscle memory for me, so I tend to do it even when it is not necessary. The GT350 is probably the EASIEST car I have ever driven to heel and toe correctly. Watch some videos and start practicing, once mastered it adds to the enjoyment of the car. But as mentioned, driving on the street at a leisurely pace will make it MUCH harder to do correctly. The pedals won't line up correctly unless you are braking hard, so keep that in mind.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Thanks for the good advice guys. I should also clarify again that I'm not trying to heel toe downshift -- I'm just on the roads driving normally and downshifting without applying the brakes, similar to what [MENTION=19414]Shift[/MENTION] just mentioned. Would be nice to learn one day, but I just don't find myself braking that hard on the streets to do it properly, lol.

jakermc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
altjx - BTW, your photography is probably what pushed me to buy a Race Red/White stripe car. Beautiful work! And coincidentally I bought my car at All-Star Ford in Baton Rouge. :)

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
altjx - BTW, your photography is probably what pushed me to buy a Race Red/White stripe car. Beautiful work! And coincidentally I bought my car at All-Star Ford in Baton Rouge. :)
Thanks a ton man I really appreciate it! And wow!! Talk about a coincidence haha, especially since you're in FL. :headbang:

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Thanks for the good advice guys. I should also clarify again that I'm not trying to heel toe downshift -- I'm just on the roads driving normally and downshifting without applying the brakes, similar to what @Shift just mentioned. Would be nice to learn one day, but I just don't find myself braking that hard on the streets to do it properly, lol.
On the street is a great place to practice; particularly because you are not pressing the brake very much.

Inside ball of your foot on the right side of the brake pedal and then using the right edge of the brake pedal as the rotation axis, roll the outside of your foot towards the accelerator. The Voodoo likes to have the accelerator held a split second longer than what you think would be natural as the rev's don't bounce up as quickly as it would on a 911GT3 RS.
Sponsored