Anybody running 4 or 5 point harness

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
Hey guys

Quick question

I acquired a set of Ford Performance Recaro seats (not to be confused with the standard Mustang GT Recaro seats) and I am contemplating running a 4 or 5 point harness.

I got very lucky with these as I have been on the lookout for a while. These also have heating and cooling function!

Screenshot_20240217_061331_Gallery.jpg

20240210_212538.jpg

20240210_210409.jpg

Just wondering what options we have in the UK if anyone has used them and made them work.

I am looking at the Watson racing belt mount but would prefer something from the UK if possible

https://shop.watsonracing.com/HARNESS-LAP-BELT-MOUNT-p/wr-harnessmnt.htm

I have been struggling to stay in the seat so wanted something that better holds me in place.. Furthermore, I would like to avoid a harness bar or cage as I want the option to use the rear seats
Sponsored

xcm77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claudiu
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2020
now I gotta know where you got them from and for how much

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
With those seats, look at safe craft harnesses … :sunglasses:

1708124346380.jpeg

WD :like:

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
You’ll not be able to run 5 points properly on those, no hole in the base for the jewels belt!
Great seats though

OP
OP
V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
now I gotta know where you got them from and for how much
These are available to buy as an upgrade from Ford under the ford performance arm but they are stupid expensive. The challenge I had was that the 15-17 had been discontinued and u really wanted to keep my heating and cooling function.

I have only ever seen one set and I was in touch with the owner of the car and we worked out a deal as they were selling their car and I had purchased their original standard seats to modify and part out so I could upgrade some Sparco R333 seats. Things lined up well and I got em.

Sponsored

OP
OP
V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With those seats, look at safe craft harnesses … :sunglasses:

WD :like:
I looked at these harnesses but there isn't a 4 point variant anymore. They use to do it for 425 bucks but I can't find it anymore. Might get in touch with them for a custom set. This would be ideal as I like the OEM+ look

OP
OP
V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’ll not be able to run 5 points properly on those, no hole in the base for the jewels belt!
Great seats though
Yes I thought that might be the case but just wondered if someone had a neat work around.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Yes I thought that might be the case but just wondered if someone had a neat work around.
There is no workaround for the standard seats. You can't just add the submarine belt, even if you add an anchor point for it. It won't function as needed.

I bought Schroth Quickfit 4pt harness from a 6g member and bought a new SHR Flex Hans restraint.

My reasoning is that I wanted Hans for any hard frontal impact (and with airbag deployment). I don't want a bar inside my daily driver and I realize that a rollover is a risk without it (and perhaps worse with the 4pt).

My next safety gear might be flame suit and fire extinguisher.

OP
OP
V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no workaround for the standard seats. You can't just add the submarine belt, even if you add an anchor point for it. It won't function as needed.

I bought Schroth Quickfit 4pt harness from a 6g member and bought a new SHR Flex Hans restraint.

My reasoning is that I wanted Hans for any hard frontal impact (and with airbag deployment). I don't want a bar inside my daily driver and I realize that a rollover is a risk without it (and perhaps worse with the 4pt).

My next safety gear might be flame suit and fire extinguisher.
That's the other thing that I have been debating too. Rollover in a 4 point probably not as safe.

I too have getting some fire extinguishersi will likely go for 4 1 within reach of driver, one withing reach of passenger and two in the trunk under/adjacent the speakers.

Overkill for sure but I want easy and safe access to an extinguisher from each access point. They don't cost much but could be a difference between a totalled car or a partial rebuild to minor damage.

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
I looked into all this years ago for a track car. Basically I found out that it’s generally safer to have the original set up than a part race setup. IE it’s all or nothing.

Four point harnesses are not safe. A standard three point is safer.
The lack of anti submarine strap means you will slide under the belts in an impact. A three point with tensioners will be far better then this. Also any racing harness has to be tight to work. If it’s tight you will struggle on the road to check blind spots and adjust controls. Plus insurance may have an issue/increase prices.

Five or six point are very safe. But still impractical on the road and due to keeping you rigid will cause more neck injury then a standard three point. So you then need Hans. Problem is if the roof comes down again you have increased the risk over a three point. So you need a cage/bar. But without a helmet that increases head injury risks so need a helmet…. Which is all far too OTT for a daily and would make Road driving a right pain/more dangerous.

Yes you CAN do any of the above and loads or Road cars have four points added because they look cool. But none of it is safe from what I read.
I’m sure opinions will vary. But it put me off.

Sponsored

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
That’s good but the four point still won’t offer anything other then making you feel more planted and looks. At the cost of being less safe. But up to you (I have seen some very mangled bodies at crashes so I may be over cautious).

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
🤷‍♂️ just putting my thoughts out there to hopefully prevent injury/death as I have seen plenty. Hans may help stop neck injury caused by using harnesses (which is protected by a three point and air bag already) but increases risk in roll over without the full kit.

For me I wouldn’t risk it just to try to feel a bit sporty.

To each their own.

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
🤷‍♂️ just putting my thoughts out there to hopefully prevent injury/death as I have seen plenty. Hans may help stop neck injury caused by using harnesses (which is protected by a three point and air bag already) but increases risk in roll over without the full kit.

For me I wouldn’t risk it just to try to feel a bit sporty.

To each their own.

There’s also the submarining issue with 4 points, you literally slide under them, I felt so much safer with a lot less movement on track with 5 points.
You’re correct regarding on the road and harnesses though.
Sponsored