Anybody running 4 or 5 point harness

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
Same as with 3pt.
No….. not true.

the design of the three point and pre-tensioner means the lap belt tightens as your chests pushes forwards. This pulls your waist into the seat. But it allows some deceleration if the upper body too. It’s why all manufacturers still use that design.

A fixed harness system does not. I know the some four points do attach to the stock pre-tensioner (I think the ones you have do?) which is far better then the ones that don’t. But the three point design is optimum. By making yourself more uptight and rigid in a car without a roll bar you just increase the risk of the weight of a car resting on your spine in a roof collapse.

A four point harness will work in several scenarios but in some it is worse than a three point. However the four points you have are probably the best ones you can get.

IMO Four points are show harnesses or for off road 4x4 style driving to stop you falling out of the seat at low speads. That’s why many motorsports don’t allow them.

I wanted four points, I did my research. I was convinced that it was not safe. I did not want to go full track spec so I stuck with stock setup.

Anyway, just trying to be helpful having seen horrible stuff. I’m not going to argue any more about it. All will pass an MOT just make sure to tell your insurance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
I think on the whole, I'm going to pass on this. Some seriously valid points have been made in this thread and although my car is t a daily by any means, I'm not sure if I'm ready to put a roll cage in there.

Not going to lie, I love the look of a harness but not at the expense of safety question marks. There are enough there for me to stick with the factory 3 point.

And if i do go for one, then the setup mentioned here which clicks into existing system is likely the best option.
Sponsored