Sponsored

Any other V6 owners have major engine failure?

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
How many miles? Any mods?
Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Just got an official notification in the mail from Ford about the TB issue. Though, the document informs me that the TB will be replaced and mentions nothing about it getting reprogrammed (which is what the dealer did). I'll be calling them tomorrow.

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
AFAIK any software update was to improve drivability when the TB starts to fail in limp mode.

dukesie79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black V6 MT 050A
Mine was reprogrammed. The car drives much better. Throttle response is improved and no more jerkiness or flat spots on acceleration. Just hoping the Tb doesn't actually fail.

OP
OP

MYSHARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MUSTANG V6
Got the phone call this morning. Get to pick up the car tonight.

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Good luck ∆

Just called the dealership that reprogrammed my TB. They recognized that they performed the reprogram but see that FSB 16B32 is on file for my car (same listing I got in the email and that's on myford.com). They've scheduled for my TB to be replaced on Wednesday.

So.... I suppose this is different than the FSB I went in for before. Or the service people didn't do what they should have before and are making me waste my time.

mark.k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Mustang V6
A new Throttle body is not a "Major Engine Failure".

Hi,

Anyway I don't consider needing a new Throttle Body and a re flash to be something that should get lumped into the "Major Engine Failure" category.

There are some cool pictures in the Eco Boost Engine mods Forum that show what "Major Engine Failure" really is.

You can see pictures there of broken piston pieces in the drain pan or the side of an engine block that has been "windowed" with a new skylight hole from the connecting rod leaving the side of the engine.

Anyway they are pretty impressive to look at but probably stressful for the owner of the car to have to get fixed.

Thanks,
Mark k

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi,

Anyway I don't consider needing a new Throttle Body and a re flash to be something that should get lumped into the "Major Engine Failure" category.

There are some cool pictures in the Eco Boost Engine mods Forum that show what "Major Engine Failure" really is.

You can see pictures there of broken piston pieces in the drain pan or the side of an engine block that has been "windowed" with a new skylight hole from the connecting rod leaving the side of the engine.

Anyway they are pretty impressive to look at but probably stressful for the owner of the car to have to get fixed.

Thanks,
Mark k
That's why I never even considered the EB. Too new, bound to be issues with it. Cyclone has been around for a while and most of the problems have been ironed out.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Speaking of throttle bodies, AM just sent me an email for 15% off the bbk tb, runs until 11/10. Might be a good buy.

Edit: For those running MPT. I had emailed conv with MPT sales and they said there would be no tune revisions for changing to the BBK TB even with the JLT CAI I'm running with. The revisions will only come if I have drivability issues. Interesting note was they say that there would be no power gains with the BBK TB. So there doesn't seem to be much incentive to change the TB. Especially since Ford has been on point in repairing/replacing the stock TB.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
Got the phone call this morning. Get to pick up the car tonight.
Great! Hope all goes well with it! You should have a good throttle body-@soldier989 researched and it seems anything built on or before 31 May 16 is affected

All the best!

JB1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
My car has 500 miles on it, got letter in mail and took it to the dealership today. They replaced the TB no questions asked, took about an hour. Never experienced any issues before replacing.

Lawguy85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mach 1 FJG
9100 miles on mine, wouldn't turn over the first 2 tries yesterday. Finally got it to crank, really rough idle for the first minute or so. Had the letter for a few weeks, so finally drove over to the dealer after that scare. In and out in 20 minutes without an appointment.

seakish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Took my car in for an oil change and tire rotation today. Asked them to check the TB as I experienced a low stuttering idle a few weeks ago. Tech researched my VIN to see if there were any TSBs. There wasn't. Got a call a few hours later that the tech working on my car found an issue with the TB and replaced it under warranty. I asked if they had to reprogram the ECU, they said no. Driving home the engine seems a bit more responsive. Looking forward to a longer drive soon to see if the dead spots have been reduced/eliminated.

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Took my car in for an oil change and tire rotation today. Asked them to check the TB as I experienced a low stuttering idle a few weeks ago. Tech researched my VIN to see if there were any TSBs. There wasn't. Got a call a few hours later that the tech working on my car found an issue with the TB and replaced it under warranty. I asked if they had to reprogram the ECU, they said no. Driving home the engine seems a bit more responsive. Looking forward to a longer drive soon to see if the dead spots have been reduced/eliminated.
That's what I noticed with mine. In 1st gear, it seemed to fall flat, at WOT above about 3500RPM, and kind of drag. It was kind of peaky through the higher rpm's. Went into limp mode once, on the way home from work, but was fine after a restart. TB had thrown a code, and dealer replaced at about 3200k.

I have aftermarket exhaust (just SLP LM2 A/B), and they had no issues with it. They didn't say anything about an ECU update. I was hoping the TB would solve my slow best of 6.5 second 0-60 (M/T).

Also already had the windshield replaced within the first 2k miles. Glue was failing in the top passenger corner. Had an air pocket that looked like an ever growing blob of four-leaf-clovers. My confidence in the reliability of these cars has been tested these first few thousand miles. My build date is Christmas eve 2015. Maybe my car is cursed?
Sponsored