Sponsored

Any easy mods for torque

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I have driven 2 sticks and 2 auto's. Only one was a PP with 3.73 gears I think. It was a year ago. One of the test drives was congested with only one area to open it up so it really felt doggy. I liked the stick the best because I could just push the peddle down farther then I normally would and could get some decent pull. I kept thinking "i've got to watch myself with a 450 hp car ending up in the weeds". But with all the auto's I would stomp on it and it was never spinning or getting scary at all. Then with the auto's as I kept pushing the peddle farther to get more torque it would be always be downshifting. My wife and daughter like to drive the car so an Automatic is the primary choice. Compromises. At least when my wife drove the GT she was not scared of it after the test drive. She said get what you want but it feels slower then your ecoboost,

I do have hope that a good tune will help a lot. I have this hope because of what a tune and intake did for my 05. I had no interest in a stock s197 power at all. But my Lito tuned 05 actually gives be the power that I think feels stronger down low then the coyote and I'm content with. Certainly still doesn't scream like a coyote though. At this point I just couldn't bring myself to throw the warranty out for getting a tune on a 30000 plus GT. I just figured with 450 HP who needs a tune.
Sponsored

OP
OP

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Maybe you shouldn't have bought a "small displacement" DOHC engine.

You know that's great advice. Instead of trying to fix a rather small problem with the driving habits of this car via a few grand worth of aftermarket parts I'll just take a loss on my near 50k dollar car that has less than 1k miles on it.

I wonder how some folks get by in life.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
This is NOT a dig on Lethal and I’m glad they posted the ET/MPH chart.
Some fast math;
Stock baseline to Third test (E85, Tune, Sticky Tire)
60 ft = 12% reduction ( 60’s are subjective as RT, track temp, consistency etc. are a large factor)
1/8 mile = 7% reduction
1/4 mile = 6% reduction

Not a lot of gain but none the less a gain is a gain.

The factory calibrated as delivered GT 5.0’s are dogs on the bottom end. Simple English end of story.

There’s merit in removing the torque limiting as BmacIL has suggested. This still doesn’t change the total torque output.

302@12psi I PM’ed you some details.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Another factor here is Ford puts a lot of torque limiting on the 15-17s, maybe it’s the same on the 18s. Some tuners remove some or all of this. It increases response without having to change the throttle demand tables.

The pedal commander pedalmax thing just change the throttle demand table that’s it. In fact Ford already did this with the sport mode. It increases the actual throttle output for a given input. These throttle devices probably give the illusion removing throttle lag because there’s less time putting your foot down.

I have a Lund tune and I don’t feel any throttle lag. I did feel some throttle lag when I was stock. Lund did not touch the throttle demand tables. The only thing they do is reduce the amount of the torque limiting in the tune.

If I’m being perfectly honest, I would like to see if Lund can change the throttle table in the sport mode so it’s linear 1:1. This would make the pedal easier to modulate. I would never give up throttle modulation. It makes it harder to drive the car IMO and in some cases could make things unsafe if you’re driving really fast. Just offering my two cents.
I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna Mini-van and it scares the heck out of me.. the pedal is an on/off switch for torque...my son actually got into an accident with it when he was first starting to learn how to drive because of the torque. All this to say I would rather have a linear feel and modulation control when tooling around town and thru round abouts...i rarely put mine in sport when doing in town driving for that reason. I do not have a tune on mine (yet).

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is NOT a dig on Lethal and I’m glad they posted the ET/MPH chart.
Some fast math;
Stock baseline to Third test (E85, Tune, Sticky Tire)
60 ft = 12% reduction ( 60’s are subjective as RT, track temp, consistency etc. are a large factor)
1/8 mile = 7% reduction
1/4 mile = 6% reduction

Not a lot of gain but none the less a gain is a gain.

The factory calibrated as delivered GT 5.0’s are dogs on the bottom end. Simple English end of story.

There’s merit in removing the torque limiting as BmacIL has suggested. This still doesn’t change the total torque output.

302@12psi I PM’ed you some details.
The math you’ve provided is great but it kinda misses the point of what a tune, e85 in particular, does for a car. Yes, peak power (the bit you race with) won’t change substantially but comparing them below 4K would show HUGE gains. Also, that sub 4K range is precisely where the torque management does most of its work.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I had the exact same experience except I'm coming from a tuned Audi TTS that had all kinds of roll on torque. I got the Ecoboost figuring a decent car with CPO vs the Audi that repair costs were way too scary. After a year I sold stuff off and decided I'll put out the extra 10000 and get a GT. Yeah, I was hoping for much more low end pull. I also ended up not buying one yet because of this. I then drove a stock 05 GT and was SO disappointed with its power. Then a couple months later I saw a Bolt on Tuned 05 GT and figured what the heck. It was tuned by Lito and I was shocked at how much better pull it had over the stock one.

So my hope is to get a 15 or 16 GT in a couple years when the price drops a bit and daughter thru college and tune it up. I hope and figure a tune and a few bolt ons will give me the pull I'm looking for. At this point I can't bring myself to throw the warranty out the window. My Boss was planning on a Hellcat, Corvette, GT PP2. Test drove all. Hellcat way too much to drive aggressively. He thought he was going to like the GT the most. He was so disappointed with the torque he asked if it was a joke to the salesman and asked if still in some kind of delivery mode. He then for the heck of it drove a M235I and loved the turbo power. He was sold. I drove it and it really does run strong.

I wish I could get a ride in a tuned GT though. I don't know anybody with a coyote GT. I do miss having a car that screams but really need the low end pull for everyday driving. The F150 intake might be what I would be looking for. I don't need 7200 RPM. With how much stronger my 05 runs with a tune I hope the same is true for the coyote.
Any 18-19 manual GT is going to be hampered on a test drive big time by 1) taller gearing and 2) most cars you'll drive will have 87 in them.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
The math you’ve provided is great but it kinda misses the point of what a tune, e85 in particular, does for a car. Yes, peak power (the bit you race with) won’t change substantially but comparing them below 4K would show HUGE gains. Also, that sub 4K range is precisely where the torque management does most of its work.
Any chance you could post up some sub 4K pump gas vs E85 comparisons ? The OP isn't interested in E85 but what the heck, lets see those gains.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
If the OP is not interested in e85 then there is no EASY mods to gain 50 plus torque down low. Boy did this run off the tracks...

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I sold a highly modded 1990 Miata turbo to get my 18 GT... The Miata had 220hp to the wheels and weighed slightly more than a ton. The car felt like a rocket and that torque hit at 3000 rpm's was very addictive. Needless to say when I got my 18 GT six speed I was a little disappointed. The car probably had 87 octane in the tank and I did not realize how much "normal mode" reduced throttle response. The car just felt slow. A good tank of 93 plus setting car in "sport mode" really woke the response up and it was much more enjoyable to drive...But, boosted torque is very addictive for sure! Now I wonder how long the driving mode switch will last as I am going to sport mode every time the car is started.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I love the comparisons to mimivans & miatas. I drove a racecar on a 300 shoot. leaving off of a trans brake. At 5000rpms. 700 foot pounds of instant torque! Yet I dont have any issues with the S550s torque. It goes to 60 in about 4.5 seconds. You can't use the torque the car has now. Because the car won't maintain traction. Torque mods have been laid out. 93 tune and headers are going to be the go to parts. If E85 isnt available. Or spend 6 grand. Get yourself a beefcake special. And lay down mid 500s torque.

Last edited:

Sponsored

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Lots of misguided folks and bad info in this thread ..

....Turns around and walks out.

Cavpilot2k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW 135i (modded)
You know - I never thought about the tank probably being filled with 87 at the dealership. I just assumed a car like that would have 93 all the time being a no-brainer, but dealerships are cheap, so you're probably right.
I'm still not putting the GT out of my next car sights. Though I would probably go with gently used so I don't take that massive Mustang depreciation hit, and add headers and a tune.
There are really only 3 current cars on the market that I am interested in for any brand: BMW M2C, Mustang GT, and the Mazda MX-5 hardtop.

Forgive my ignorance, but would headers interfere with the active valved exhaust? In other words, where does that active exhaust system start (axle-back? cat-back?) and would a set of headers overlap with that system, especially if a mid-pipe is part of it?
I'm thinking shorty headers would be best for adding low-end torque on this car.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
You know - I never thought about the tank probably being filled with 87 at the dealership. I just assumed a car like that would have 93 all the time being a no-brainer, but dealerships are cheap, so you're probably right.
I'm still not putting the GT out of my next car sights. Though I would probably go with gently used so I don't take that massive Mustang depreciation hit, and add headers and a tune.
There are really only 3 current cars on the market that I am interested in for any brand: BMW M2C, Mustang GT, and the Mazda MX-5 hardtop.

Forgive my ignorance, but would headers interfere with the active valved exhaust? In other words, where does that active exhaust system start (axle-back? cat-back?) and would a set of headers overlap with that system, especially if a mid-pipe is part of it?
I'm thinking shorty headers would be best for adding low-end torque on this car.
Active exhaust is at the muffler. Quite a few people run headers with a stock catback active exhaust. If you don't want the newest MY, look into some of the Roush supercharged dealer cars. They come with 3yr/36k mile warranty, and have all the torque you should need for a street car.
Personally, I am pretty happy with E85. I already have traction issues in 1st and 2nd.

Cavpilot2k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW 135i (modded)
Active exhaust is at the muffler. Quite a few people run headers with a stock catback active exhaust. If you don't want the newest MY, look into some of the Roush supercharged dealer cars. They come with 3yr/36k mile warranty, and have all the torque you should need for a street car.
Personally, I am pretty happy with E85. I already have traction issues in 1st and 2nd.
Thanks. Good points all around.
So the Active exhaust has the same midpipe as normal exhaust?
I'm not interested in E85 - it's rare where I live and the closest place is almost an hour away - it's a non-starter.
But I am in a 93 Octane state, so that helps.
Sponsored