Another recall for Ford

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
There's something I don't get. They say it's an electrical connection that's faulty (which probably means some overly stretched cables in the trunk lid, which break when you open and close the trunk too many times), yet they replace the camera. How come?
I read the problem is on the circuit board within the camera itself. The harness issue was on older S550’s.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The camera comes with a cable in most cars, so you have to replace both anyway :). At least it's not hard to replace the rear one. My wife's car has a front camera that was broken the day we were driving the car home from the dealership (my luck. Ha ha), but left it cracked, since the camera was $700, and the entire front end had to come off to replace it. Oh, and then you need to recalibrate ACC and lane departure. Geez.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The camera comes with a cable in most cars, so you have to replace both anyway :). At least it's not hard to replace the rear one. My wife's car has a front camera that was broken the day we were driving the car home from the dealership (my luck. Ha ha), but left it cracked, since the camera was $700, and the entire front end had to come off to replace it. Oh, and then you need to recalibrate ACC and lane departure. Geez.
Here is the camera assembly. No harness

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/sensorsdevices/camera-assy-6500143-1

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Of the three vehicles in my fleet that have backup cameras, the only one I actually use it on is my F150. And only when I'm lining up to hook up a trailer.

Otherwise I have mirrors and can turn my head. Situational awareness, anyone?

2016 GT/CS Laila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4, 2018 Taurus

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Of the three vehicles in my fleet that have backup cameras, the only one I actually use it on is my F150. And only when I'm lining up to hook up a trailer.

I don't need it since I drove truck in my early 20s, but the best part of it is the wide field of view. When you're backing out of a spot with two giant SUV'S on each side of you blocking your vision, its extremely helpful to show you if someone is barreling past or not.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

The camera is not supposed to replace the mirrors, but to complement them. It's nice to be able to place your rear bumper two inches away from a wall, when the car is long and parking space is scarce. You can't do that with the mirrors alone. It's also nice when you reverse out of an angled parking spot, and the car next to you has tinted windows. The camera gives you a wonderful wide-angle view of the oncoming traffic, while the mirrors are next to useless.
It's not that one couldn't live without it, but it does make life easier.

Last edited:

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I have a 2015,I get a recall letter every 6 months.....It has never gone back to the dealer LOL
Sponsored