Another Gen 5 whipple thread .

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Well car is back together and drives well with stock converter .
I have asked tuner for a tune with first gear again (not sure I can load older tunes since strategy was changed.)
I noticed it’s not jerking violently in to D(2) like it was before so may be the valve body had gone bad before the converter broke ?

Don’t think I have her guts to go racing it again .... at least until I have the “spare car” GT 350 back on the road (still waiting on sleeved /rebuilt engine to arrive )
Sponsored

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Well car is back together and drives well with stock converter .
I have asked tuner for a tune with first gear again (not sure I can load older tunes since strategy was changed.)
I noticed it’s not jerking violently in to D(2) like it was before so may be the valve body had gone bad before the converter broke ?

Don’t think I have her guts to go racing it again .... at least until I have the “spare car” GT 350 back on the road (still waiting on sleeved /rebuilt engine to arrive )
Great news,just drive and enjoy your ride.

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
Good to hear its back on the road so fast. I can't imagine 2nd gear starts being the cause of anything so quickly? I have had 1st taken out for the whole season, all my track passes and street miles leave in second. I would stay away from the track if I were you, there is some bad juju in your cards bud! lol

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Does your car “jerk “ into D from P ?

I hear you on staying away from the track .

The amount of grief I have had from the cars just takes away the fun , knowing more bad stuff could happen again anytime .

Thought I had the Hellion car already to list then it started leaking coolant .

KB car has new motor but looks like bad 02 sensor and some false knock from headers.

Not sure if they are leaky but the SW long tubes have been on for about 4 years and look a little rusty .I might just swap them for the brand new Kooks I was saving for my BPS 5.2 long block .

I did get some good news as my rebuilt Voodoo long block finally shipped .

Not sure how soon I can get the GT 350 on the road but may be able to risk making a pass again in the 18 knowing at least I have a “spare “ car if anything happens .

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ordered 2019 ruby red pp1 A10 with whipple stage 2
When you are using smaller pulleys. Do you still line up the 2 marks on the spring loaded Tensioner or do you go tighter. Thank you..
Good to hear its back on the road so fast. I can't imagine 2nd gear starts being the cause of anything so quickly? I have had 1st taken out for the whole season, all my track passes and street miles leave in second. I would stay away from the track if I were you, there is some bad juju in your cards bud! lol

Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I’m thinking you need to find a different mechanic. I’d suggest one that doesn’t sell the parts you go through. Lol.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
?

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PM sent

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I could not stay away as I needed to make sure no issues with new valve body /old converter

I did listen to my techs advice not to run the drag radials that had been “plugged “ . He was concerned plug could come loose during a burn out so I swapped the wheels /tires for a previous worn out combo .
Same size ET R’s (305/45 17 ) but quite worn and mounted on the narrower 17x 9.5 race stars .
The newer tire(with the plug ) had been mounted on the heavier 17x10.5 (same size wheel when I ran the even heavier M&H 325/45 which was definitely too tall and heavy )
I confirmed my suspicion that the bigger heavier wheel may have slowed me down when I first swapped them (they were also a bit shorter on the wider wheel )
I ran a PB of 9.7@139 but kicked out on first pass. Lol.
Car ran strong to the 1/8 but back half is still down. I am starting to wonder If clutches are slipping in 6th since that’s when it seems to slow down?
May be it needs to breath more (headers/less restrictive resonator ) but its only at the top end
It falls flat .
I will do compression test eventually but I would be surprised if the motor is hurt . If It is ,
It cant be too bad if can still go 6.2@112 in the 1/8(9.7 in the 1/4 is not half bad either ) .

Looks like they are getting stricter at Lucas oil way in Indianapolis. They tend to be especially soon after they run a Major event
Previously they would have given me a warning and I would have been able to make another pass before kicking my self out . Lol

DA was little better than last time out but still almost 3000. I have been waiting for the the fall air to get here but it look like it may be late since the track closes 10/9. Temps are forecast for mid 80’s next week with high humidity .May be it will get here just in time for the last session of the season .

I am thinking I will try 15 inch ET pros but will need to install the Baer 2.0 rears I already have . I also already have the tire mounted on 15 race stars ... I was planning to use them on my Hellion car with the aerospace brakes but not racing that anymore .
The worn out ET R’s were spinning not only 1-2 but also 2-3 so hard toque control cut spark .
I think it maybe pick up some mph if it spins less and I know the ET pros are as sticky as you can get .
I may also try bias ply to see how it does . Have several combos in both 15 and 17 .
Also have a 3.0 pulley and the correct belt and I may be going for broke (no pun intended ) that last session .

Logs looked good although shift points still seem
all over the place.

Good night overall , nothing broke , drove car home and wife was happy I was home earlier than usual.
F2B2A3B7-01D4-4C4C-9D01-C0C5FA283486.jpeg
1C87FD10-A392-432B-A3D1-E204DCF2F542.jpeg

Last edited:

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Congrats on great 1/4 mile times.
If I were you I would just put a patch on the inside of the drag radial and just remove the plug.JMO

Sponsored
OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats on great 1/4 mile times.
If I were you I would just put a patch on the inside of the drag radial and just remove the plug.JMO
Thanks man . I had asked my tech about “fixing “ the tire but he said it would be no better than the plug . I don’t think he meant putting a patch on the inside which does sound like it would be better.

Ties are fairly new with plenty of life left so if I could get some more passes out of them that would be great . I had otherwise just planned to use them as a “street” set up .

Last edited:
OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well we final got some decent air last Friday .

Drove 2 hours to this track after work.

The car picked up 2-3 mph as I anticipated but again it’s all in the 1/8 and back half mph gain is stuck at average 27-28 mph instead of 30-32 mph.

It was cool(55) at night , so not much traction and track was very sketchy .

It then threw a wrench light last attempt after burn out .....yikes , not again I thought .
It was a “throttle stuck closed “
I shut it off and prayed on it !
It cleared when restarted .... to my great relief !
It’s not been back since and I have been daily driving it .

I think some of the low trap compared to others is the weight as I have a premium /PP car . The resonator is probably costing another 1 mph .
Might also be some heat soak as the first pass always seems the to have the highest trap .

Still, with a decent traction / 60- 1.4x is typical with stock converter- and good air like last Friday, I would expect 9.6’s. Not bad I think for a daily driver .

I don’t have time this year to delete the resonator as I was thinking or lighten the car with the rear Baer brakes I already have but I think I will pulley down to the 3.0 pulley for the last day at the local track tomorrow.
7557CB78-867A-4B6D-B42B-54E448990C74.jpeg
184C065E-B4AA-418F-A66D-0B6562717DF4.jpeg
683A2ED7-4C96-4BFC-9F95-C549CC264598.jpeg

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did this sunday. Same setup 3.25 pulley. Right lane. Car is heavy gotta be close to 4200 with me in it.
20191110_131018.jpg

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s solid trap though .
Yeah these PP cars are heavy. Mine weighs 4000 lbs with a 3/4 tank .
So about over 4200 with me.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Weight 4080 exact .
I am about 220, so almost 4400 since I always run with a full tank .
Sponsored