Sponsored

Another engine oil thread ... What do you use?

Which brand of engine oil do you use?

• Total voters

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
For those that don't know we have the same bearings and clearances as the 302 boss and Ford rolled that out the door with 5w50. Some days I wish I was back at Ford as a master tech for access to info to post for discussions like this.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
You didn't consider pumping loss. Thicker the oil, slower the flow.
These engines have a positive displacement oil pump, which forces everything through the oiling system - that's what causes oil pressure. Only time you'd lose flow volume is if the pump hits pressure relief, which would only occur if you revved the engine very high with cold thick oil - which you shouldn't do regardless of what weigh oil is being used, but especially if running a 40 or 50 weight.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
For those that don't know we have the same bearings and clearances as the 302 boss and Ford rolled that out the door with 5w50. Some days I wish I was back at Ford as a master tech for access to info to post for discussions like this.
Yep, because Ford anticipated that the Boss 302 would be tracked. I think the GT500s also came with 5W-50 from the factory. Ford engineers obviously understand what happens to MOFT when the oil gets hot from track use.

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/ Jeep Rubicon HR/ RC-F
thanks mustang guy, I'm barely at page 3, but already your own guy is saying that a 50 weight will be straining these engines and damage them and even goes to say a 30W is great, even on extended track racing. I agree with this guy on many points he's made so far. He seems to know about FTIR enough to know different oils set different baselines.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Yep, because Ford anticipated that the Boss 302 would be tracked. I think the GT500s also came with 5W-50 from the factory. Ford engineers obviously understand what happens to MOFT when the oil gets hot from track use.
Correct 5w50 was standard. It was too think for what most people used the gt500 for though. 5w30-5w40/0w40 Will meet most people needs. 5w20 seems acceptable when it's amsoil or something like Pennzoil plat/ultra but most don't use that here so...:crazy:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
thanks mustang guy, I'm barely at page 3, but already your own guy is saying that a 50 weight will be straining these engines and damage them and even goes to say a 30W is great, even on extended track racing. I agree with this guy on many points he's made so far. He seems to know about FTIR enough to know different oils set different baselines.
He suggests 5w50 for only severe applications. Highest I'll ever be going is 5w40 myself. I hope the thread is enjoyable though :cheers:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
ok that guy realllllyyyy gets me going. Film strength has little to do in these engines. There are other bigger factors at hand. Stay away from that blog lol
I missed this...i wish the guy that argued with me would stop shoving his blog everywhere around here. :lol:

Qsud is definitely better than motorcraft at least :D

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
He suggests 5w50 for only severe applications. Highest I'll ever be going is 5w40 myself. I hope the thread is enjoyable though :cheers:
Hell yeah it is, where does Troy work? He is spot on with everything he's saying so far, I get the impression he doesn't work in a lab though, I have a funny feeling of how he knows what he knows.

Sponsored

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
I mean he's got good information and I have nothing against Amsoil, it is good oil, but the case still remains with the fact that Renewable Lubricant's BioSyn out performs the Signiture Series hands down in most engines. I can start to tell by page 5 he must be an Amsoil guy as he only recommends amsoil products, which will never harm anyone as it's good stuff, but there is better stuff for less/similar price.

I sent him an e-mail to try and contact him. Hopefully he responds. Back to this thread, even with his large database he recommends a 30 weight to almost every guy on that posts data back. We both agree on one major thing, the weight will increase wear if not needed.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I've not heard of that oil. Is there any info you can get me on that oil? I don't recall seeing it discussed on bitog

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
I've not heard of that oil. Is there any info you can get me on that oil? I don't recall seeing it discussed on bitog
That oil ended up getting Terry Dyson kicked off Bitog, it's heavily mentioned. Whether an oil is mentioned in Bitog doesn't hold value for me though as the site has now gone to a good joke I heard the other day. Most chevy's today are still on the road(photo of a silverado jacked up with a driveshaft hanging on the side) lol
Sponsored