Sponsored

Another engine oil thread ... What do you use?

Which brand of engine oil do you use?

• Total voters

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
That's likely due to some of the additives. M1 is not the greatest formula although M1EP is better, that extra $ gets you the additive M1 should have had in the first place lol

BioSyn's BN starts around 10.22 and the active antiwear additives on the FTIR is 35. It is one fucking oil that no one has beat. There is one oil out there that is still better than even BioSyn, however, it's close to $120/gallon lol.

The BN to me don't mean too much as often times an oil has 20 but sheers to 2 in 5K, so you have to measure the drops in BN's as some base stocks are stronger than others. The active antiwear additives is what I really look for.

Why do you need an oil for a year at a time?
It's far cheaper (like a ton) to use amsoil a year at a time and is better oil than paying for pennzoil ultra etc every 3 months since the car only see 3500 a year. It's a waste of oil, money and time :lol:

I've not seen amsoil as sheer that low in 5k. In fact in my experience I've not seen less than a 9 or 10 in 12ish k. Can you use the full name of FTIR instead of the acronym? Makes it harder to look into. :D.
Sponsored

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/ Jeep Rubicon HR/ RC-F
It's far cheaper (like a ton) to use amsoil a year at a time and is better oil than paying for pennzoil ultra etc every 3 months since the car only see 3500 a year. It's a waste of oil, money and time :lol:

I've not seen amsoil as sheer that low in 5k. In fact in my experience I've not seen less than a 9 or 10 in 12ish k. Can you use the full name of FTIR instead of the acronym? Makes it harder to look into. :D.
Fourier Transforming Infrared Spectroscopy.

Not saying that's Amsoil sheer rate, but just saying you have to take BN with a grain of salt. You have to look at the sheer rates in highly abused engines. Amsoil is good nothing wrong with it.

The R8's that validated BioSyn over SigSeries were run nasty hard on the track. I had an alpha 12 that was road racing and switched from Motul 300V with fantastic results.

Wait but why do you have to change your oil every 3 months? I'm still confused. Have you ever had a UOA other than blackstone done?

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Fourier Transforming Infrared Spectroscopy.

Not saying that's Amsoil sheer rate, but just saying you have to take BN with a grain of salt. You have to look at the sheer rates in highly abused engines. Amsoil is good nothing wrong with it.

The R8's that validated BioSyn over SigSeries were run nasty hard on the track. I had an alpha 12 that was road racing and switched from Motul 300V with fantastic results.

Wait but why do you have to change your oil every 3 months? I'm still confused. Have you ever had a UOA other than blackstone done?
I typically try not to leave oils with low tbn in an engine longer than that that's not run much through out a year. It's entirely different if it was drove every day like my Sti or 4runner then I'd go longer. This car is being built to run 7s (it's not there yet lol). I'd not like to leave low tbn oil and trust it's not hurting things.

Sponsored

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
I will have this week or the next test results on a dyno of Valvoline, M1EP, BioSyn, Amsoil SS, Pennzoil UP. I really wanted to see what different oils did to power.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
http://renewablelube.com/store/inde...t&product_id=181&search=5W40&description=true

Low ash is what you want if you have cats/aftertreatment units.

No cats and the first one you linked is good.

I promise you this base stock is unlike anything. I'm trying to work with troy to test some stuff, will be neat.
I wish they had both hd 5w30 until I go turbo. How long can you go on either grade realisticly mileage/time wise for someone like my case?

Has troy reached back out to your message? That would be interesting indeed.

He is good. I assume you have plenty of UOA from Testoil?
Of the mustang no. It only has 1340 miles on my 17 i bought last July. :lol:
I will have this week or the next test results on a dyno of Valvoline, M1EP, BioSyn, Amsoil SS, Pennzoil UP. I really wanted to see what different oils did to power.
:thumbsup:

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
I wish they had both hd 5w30 until I go turbo. How long can you go on either grade realisticly mileage wise or for someone like my case?

Has troy reached back out to your message? That would be interesting indeed.

Of the mustang no. It only has 1340 miles on my 17 i bought last July. :lol:

:thumbsup:
Wait, you do UOA with Terry Dyson and you haven't heard of BioSyn? They make it in everything from a 0W20 to a 40 weight. I run their 5W30 and you can see from my one track day it didn't even budge.

I think I replied to wrong e-mail, I'll wait until tomorrow.

I don't honestly know, as I only have maybe 30-40 UOA's of cars that switched, however none have ever gone long drain and most had the oil in for less than a few months, so I have no data there. I would imagine there would be extended drain issues with the oxidation being so high. Granted I could have gone much longer on my drain but I wanted to test a different oil. Mileage wise depending on the UOA, probably in my case 9,000 miles and UOA to determine whether I could go further. But I do 6,000 miles in 1.5 - 2 months.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Wait, you do UOA with Terry Dyson and you haven't heard of BioSyn? They make it in everything from a 0W20 to a 40 weight. I run their 5W30 and you can see from my one track day it didn't even budge.

I think I replied to wrong e-mail, I'll wait until tomorrow.

I don't honestly know, as I only have maybe 30-40 UOA's of cars that switched, however none have ever gone long drain and most had the oil in for less than a few months, so I have no data there. I would imagine there would be extended drain issues with the oxidation being so high. Granted I could have gone much longer on my drain but I wanted to test a different oil. Mileage wise depending on the UOA, probably in my case 9,000 miles and UOA to determine whether I could go further. But I do 6,000 miles in 1.5 - 2 months.
No joke, never heard of it. We don't exactly talk. He just looks at my amsoil or whatever sample I send him and leaves my results. I saw all their stuff on the site but have not seen the HD in 5w30 listed. Only the 5w40 I linked and low ash you linked. I need to reach put to Terry and see if he has anything on long drain with it. I definitely will not be a guinea pig :D

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
No joke, never heard of it. We don't exactly talk. He just looks at my amsoil or whatever sample I send him and leaves my results. I saw all their stuff on the site but have not seen the HD in 5w30 listed. Only the 5w40 I linked and low ash you linked. I need to reach put to Terry and see if he has anything on long drain with it. I definitely will not be a guinea pig :D
He would be the guy, after all he validated the performance, and he is the one that taught me 75% of everything I know. Unfortunately we no longer talk, but I would have nothing bad to say about him. I don't think that oil can hold up for a year though, but I have no data to back that, only a suspicion. Shot him an e-mail, you'll get your answer right away if you've ever done an analysis with him.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I spoke with RLI just for grins. They say their 5w30 pcmo is fine for 1 year for what I do with how much it sits. Says the 5w40 would be as well. In a daily driver they suggest starting at 5k-7500k and go from there based on analysis. I'll call Terry next

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
you want to run the HDMO not the PCMO, I'd go off what Terry says, not so much RLI. But hopefully you can jump on the RLI bandwagon too!

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
you want to run the HDMO not the PCMO, I'd go off what Terry says, not so much RLI. But hopefully you can jump on the RLI bandwagon too!
They don't have a listing for HD 5w30. Im not running 5w40 til the built engine and turbo goes in
Sponsored