Another crash thread!

Pintoracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
15 V6 051A Deep Impact Blue Reverse sensors
Well guys, I hate to say it, but I was involved in an accident. Exactly one month ago about 10:30 at night. A older lady decides to make a left turn directly into my path of travel. I did not see her until she was directly in front of me. She was cited for failure to yield. She had insurance thank goodness. Now for some pics.

Day after when it was dropped off at the body shop.

During repairs.

Yesterday at body shop.

Total cost of the repairs were in the range of 14K. I'll be glad to pick her up later today. The body shop did an excellent job on the repairs. They have been great to work with. They made an unpleasant experience easier to deal with. Hopefully, she'll be ok and I can enjoy driving her again.
Sponsored

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
14K?? That's at least half the cost of a V6. Damage does not look that bad. Either substantial damage that can't be seen or shop way over charging. And we wonder why insurance rates are so high.

But I am glad to see that it was fixed. Nice looking ride, OP.

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
You may want to look into a diminished value claim on that car. Pic #2 looks like it's on some kind of frame straightening machine. If Carfax shows frame damage and you want to trade that car in, you'll only get wholesale value because the dealer will just wholesale that car.
This happened to me on my G35 and it doesn't even have a frame. Took side impact damage that required repair to the unibody. I got 3K less on my trade-in because they had to wholesale it. Pisses you off because the car looked and drove like new. Just that one little line in the Carfax report of unibody damage and I was out 3 grand.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
$14K :eyebulge:

Wow, was the sheet metal welded back together with gold or something?

TC :ford:

OP
OP
Pintoracer

Pintoracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Took it to the most expensive shop in my area. They do excellent work is why. Parts alone were 8K. So, it added up quick. Headlamp assemblies were 1400 each. As far as the frame work, it was on there to be pulled out. But, he decided to just section that piece of the frame horn. It's a bitch that it happened and it caused that much damage. But, I plan on keeping the car. I know all of the pitfalls of the carfax reports and all that. I'll just keep a good attitude about the whole thing and enjoy my car.

Sponsored

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
I can see 14k in damage rather easily. As you said the headlights arent cheap, neither is a hood, all those plastic panels behind the grilles, etc.

Glad you got fixed up!

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Glad you got it fixed right! Did you get a new splitter as well?

OP
OP
Pintoracer

Pintoracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
I can see 14k in damage rather easily. As you said the headlights arent cheap, neither is a hood, all those plastic panels behind the grilles, etc.

Glad you got fixed up!
Thanks.

Fenders were replaced as well. There was a bunch of stuff under the hood that was replaced as well. Let's see......bumper bar, radiator, radiator support, condenser, trans cooler, and numerous assorted bits and pieces. Plus, I got to add the GT grills. I had been wanting those anyway.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Man, the cost of some of these repairs is really steep. Glad everything worked out OK, and you will be back on the road soon!

OP
OP
Pintoracer

Pintoracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Glad you got it fixed right! Did you get a new splitter as well?
Yes, they replaced it with the same GT/CS splitter that I had installed a few months ago.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
You may want to look into a diminished value claim on that car. Pic #2 looks like it's on some kind of frame straightening machine. If Carfax shows frame damage and you want to trade that car in, you'll only get wholesale value because the dealer will just wholesale that car.
This happened to me on my G35 and it doesn't even have a frame. Took side impact damage that required repair to the unibody. I got 3K less on my trade-in because they had to wholesale it. Pisses you off because the car looked and drove like new. Just that one little line in the Carfax report of unibody damage and I was out 3 grand.
@Martman
How does CarFax get notified of a repair?

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
@Martman
How does CarFax get notified of a repair?
Pretty sure it's related to DMV. In CA, if damage is about a certain $ amount (don't remember exact figure but it's not very high) you are required to fill out a form and submit to DMV. The repair on my G35 was about $7000 so it had to be reported to DMV.

I had the exact same thing happen with my 2005 F150, but I got off easier because the front frame rails are a bolt on item and they were just replaced with factory parts so no stretching or welding on the rails. Because they were replaced by factory parts, it didn't have to be wholesaled and I got my full trade-in value.

My wife is an Operations Manager for Carmax. When they inspect vehicles to be reconditioned, they specifically look for any welds or clamp marks on the frame which would indicate the frame has been straightened. If they find any evidence of this, the car goes straight to wholesale regardless of how perfect the repair may be.

Reactions: GTP
OP
OP
Pintoracer

Pintoracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Well guys. After picking the car up yesterday, and driving her around for most of the evening. It's been restored to glory. I have to give props to the guys at the shop that did the work. Panel alignment is spot on. Actually, better than it was before the crash. The car tracks straight and true. Can't find any evidence of overspray anywhere on the car. No flaws in the paintwork that was done. Excellent job!!! I'm going to have many more years of enjoyment out of her. I'm very happy with the positive outcome in this whole deal.

I was worried that it wouldn't be the same after the crash. But, she still puts a smile on my face when I drive her. I wish all of us who have this happen to their car were fortunate enough to find a shop that takes pride in doing a job right. Luckily, I found a shop full of car nuts that love and appreciate nice cars! My contact at the shop said that everyone that works at the dealership where it was done came out to look at my car and gave it compliments on the the color and the looks.
Sponsored