Sponsored

Annoyned by dealership refusing a test drive

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
nope, not really... let me explain it slowly because i see this on a daily basis...

customer 1, needs a car... just need transportation from A to B. came to lot looking for something. Credit is not great but it's not bad either... they look a few options, say this is my 1st option... i have this much money down, want payments, around this much....

no problem, sales person do the app, and i start working the banks... maybe the car is a 2013 BMW for like $10k + taxes and fees to say something.

banks offer a 48 months due to year/mileage, at 15% APR and $590 fee. They like the customer, but don't like the car (car makes and models are graded by the bank, the higher the grade, the better deal they offer.... BMW is a D, while lexus/toyota are A+)

lets say payments are $350, customer is trying to be at no more than $300, what to do? more money down... customer doesn't have more down payment? next option? another car... sometimes, the cheaper car doesn't mean the lowest payment....

So... next option? a different car with better rates... hey customer 1, we have this nice 2017 honda accord, fully loaded, low miles, yes, it's $14995 + T&F but do you like it? if you do, the bank is offering better terms, we can get you better numbers! (capital one basically show you in their system what cars will work better for that customer)... yes, i like that accord.... ok, bank is saying 72 mo, at 8.9% APR and you don't need more money down, you payment is $289/mo

done, customer got the payment they wanted, with the down payment they wanted on a different car that wasn't their first option. (apparently that's being a crook i guess lol)

Customer 2. I have my own check from my local credit union, i want this specific car. ok, car is this much out the door. done

Customer 3, i want this car in particular and i don't want any other car, i need financing... well, that will depends only on his credit... shitty credit = high APR and higher down payment. Good credit = lower apr and lower down payments. Will only depends on customer income, can't get a $50k car if you make $2500/mo because your DTI is too high, unless you put a lot of money down where your payment fits your DTI. No secret sauce or scamming, or anything.

with customers with BAD credit, its not about what they want, its about what they can get, period. 2 previous repos, 430 credit score, but you want that nice mercedes, well, good luck getting a bank willing to finance that. And if they do, be ready for a 25-27% apr. Your credit is basically your payment history, if you don't pay anybody, don't expect the lenders to treat you like a good paying customer and give you a nice good lower APR... you are high risk, high risk = retarded APR
You my friend, not , are selling a payment. How hard you try to sell it just screwing someone over . Example, did I go for the 60 or 72 month payment to save a few bucks or the shorter term ? Shorter term higher payment , less total purchase price . Stop trying to sell people on a payment, and open there eyes to the whole picture. Then again just saying .
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Dealers selling a payment is why I either save up money or have financing in hand before I enter the dealer. No test drive no sale.

I have run into several dealers who offer a 3 to 5 day 100% buy back. I'll take that as a test drive. I'll buy the car and if I don't like it within the 3 or 5 day allotment I'll bring it back.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers selling a payment is why I either save up money or have financing in hand before I enter the dealer. No test drive no sale.

I have run into several dealers who offer a 3 to 5 day 100% buy back. I'll take that as a test drive. I'll buy the car and if I don't like it within the 3 or 5 day allotment I'll bring it back.
Off subject, just acquired a 19 f150 mani if you know anyone looking .

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hay only 50 a month ...........for the rest of your life :giggle:

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I hate to say this but that is a bad example. You Tube and other avenues have allowed a lot of young people to be able to afford expensive cars. Get in the car with the person test driving it and go from there. 16 year old kid in town here has a brand new GT500...doesn't really matter who paid for it, him or his parents.

If your dealership has only a couple of certain cars, I totally understand not letting "anyone" test drive them.

it's not like we do it every single time lol, lets say is case by case. If i have a 18 y/o kid asking to go on a test drive on a corvette, pretty sure we will say no... now, a +50 y/o guy wearing a blue jean shorts and white new balance shoes, yes sir, go ahead!

We don't deny every single test drive, just some of them and there can be a million different reasons why...

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
You my friend, not , are selling a payment. How hard you try to sell it just screwing someone over . Example, did I go for the 60 or 72 month payment to save a few bucks or the shorter term ? Shorter term higher payment , less total purchase price . Stop trying to sell people on a payment, and open there eyes to the whole picture. Then again just saying .
some people don't want to pay more monthly to save on interest, some people can't afford the $400/mo payment at 48 months but have no problem with the $300/mo on 60 or 72... It's not like you are telling me something new i don't know... Hispanic customer working with tax id or itin, passport only, job letters, etc, usually get crazy APR when they get their first car, 90% of the time, they buy trucks. They make the money, usually cash, working in construction, etc, they just don't have the credit or the paper trace for their income, and the banks hits them really hard for that, first thing i tell them is to pay it off sooner, most of them do, a 48/mo loan at 26% apr, they pay that in 12-24 mo, save a lot on interest they don't have to pay... when they come back, that same bank will offer them much better rates... I had one that went from 26% on his tundra to a 7% 2 years later with the same bank on a sienna for his wife, the bank even gave him $300 for his down payment.

But, this is a customer that can afford the shorter term, not all of them can. And all that is always explained before signing paperwork.

Hey, even capital one, a prime lender, will tell you "this is the max payment customer qualify for", if you go on a shorter term where the payment is above that number, they'll decline the approval, so you just have to stretch it until their payment is under what the bank wants. Up to them if they can or want to pay more and pay that straight to principal. Banks just will go by whatever DTI they see. I have no control on that, must i can do is call for an exemption and see if they approve it.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
What about all the smoke and mirrors when the price of the car is negotiated? Financing aside, that is what really bothers people about car sales. It is in the best interest of the person selling you the car to get you to pay as much as they can, any way they can do it.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about all the smoke and mirrors when the price of the car is negotiated? Financing aside, that is what really bothers people about car sales. It is in the best interest of the person selling you the car to get you to pay as much as they can, any way they can do it.

What smoke and mirrors are we talking about? the selling price of the car, is the selling price of the car, on top of that you pay sales taxes, dealer fees and title, registration and tag.

if we have a 20k car, will be 20k + taxes and fees, if we negotiate the price to 18k, it will be 18k + taxes and fees.

if you see a car for $20k, that doesn't mean that is $20k out the door. Some fees from some dealerships are retarded, and you can refuse some of them. Like the $2500 toyota want to charge you for "window tint, nitrogen for the tires and new tires" on a used car with 1500 on the odometer with oem tires.

Sponsored

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
Back in 2010 I went to a dealer to test drive a new Camaro SS, I even know the owner of the dealer, I have played Golf with him for years, and he grew up friends with my sister.
Long story short , he basically said they do not allow test drives of Camaros or Corvettes.
BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME.
I ended up with a Mustang 7 years later, A Dealer let me test drive one and I liked the car So much more than the Camaro.
Might be a Blessing in disguise.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
good GAHD your customers are the dregs of risk.
I had a few bank callbacks showing: unable to approve - TMR

TMR = too many repos

Yesterday, we had one where the bank offered to pay $1 up front, and then $10k based on performance of the loan... with 26.95% apr.... basically the bank said NO, but hey, here is this buy here pay here structure we can do if you want, and we are talking one of the biggest lenders in the US lol...

I framed that approval, that shit was epic, a customer so bad that the bank is telling you they are willing to do the whole process in order to give you $1 up front lol and IIIIIIIIIFFFFFF they make their payments, they may give you some money in a few years

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Reality is MOST buyers (not me) are buying based on the payment, rolling negative equity, etc, and frankly why many lease a car/truck they cant afford to buy on a monthly payment.

Dealers generally suck, and are not out to give you a deal, but I have met many who are decent human beings, want to take care of people, etc. Often it is the sleazy managers and finance people who are terrible.

I have found used car transactions with dealers with 'no haggle' prices are some of the best to deal with, and a few of my local dealers have a great no haggle sales model. It's not 1980 anymore, and people can cross shop/compare and get the deal they want, so dealers are stepping up.
Sponsored

Last edited: