Sponsored

Annoyned by dealership refusing a test drive

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
boo hoo hoo karen, I'm the F&I manager, i need my sales guys not wasting time with people that are not buying :giggle:

we had a guy with a $20k loan from his bank, he asked to drive a $70k tesla, we said no, we showed to him, let him play with the features, but no test drives for obvious reasons. He understood, no drama, he bought a cheaper car, was happy about it.

Had a customer buying a $75k bentley, asked to drive another $75k Tesla, we said yes no problem.

Had a couple kids (17-19 y/o), asked to drive a couple Maserati without asking price or anything. we said no. Had another couple kids asking to check a couple cheap trade-ins looking for something cash, we said, no problem.

Even if they have an intention to buy, and do an application and everything, and when you pull their credit, they are on the 400s, you know some cars are out of the picture no matter what... I'm just explaining everything from this side of the fence...

i deal with thousands and thousands of car transactions a year, buying and selling, financing, etc... sometimes, it just doesn't make sense to go on test drive, or even dealing with "cash customers".... hey, i offer you $25k cash for your $47k corvette... lmao

If you had a bad sales rep, let us know, if he was actually disrespectful, lazy, etc we'll take care of it... turn overs are a daily thing... sometimes you don't click with a sales person, then we will send the cute girl with the big butt and see if that works... lol

but if the customer makes no sense, have a nice day, next! it is tax season + stimulus checks time... wasting time its a no no...
What you do is still gross as is your attitude.

I wouldn't buy a newspaper from you.
Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I guess I'll add that I am one of those that test-drives for a whole year before I buy a car. You don't want to lose that eventual sale because you thought I wasn't serious enough a few months before...
I think your argument supports the dealer did the right thing.
To the op
Man ...Don't do the mod ....or buy yourself some Craftsman's ....or try another shop that specializes in your request. ;)

I wouldnt let you drive my car either. ...fwiw

At a dealership....The sales floor ....is the sales floor.
Not you're personal labatory ....

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
If you said just test drive you would’ve gotten the test drive. But if I was a salesman and someone said they wanted to see the difference I would immediately think they’re gonna go around racing the car and won’t buy it so why risk the liability.

I personally have the 3.55’s and don’t think they’re worth it. Fuel economy is gonna go down for sure and the exhaust will get louder plus unless you do suspension mods for the wheel hop and wider tires you’re just gonna spin which will make you slower.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I am dumb about this, but doesn't one entity own the dealership which sales and service is a part of? So there was a potential service the dealership lost because some sales guy didn't allow a simple test drive of a used car.

Or am I wrong about it and the sales and service departments are separate companies?

Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Maybe there’s someone local that can take u for a ride in their car so you can see the difference though

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
What you do is still gross as is your attitude.

I wouldn't buy a newspaper from you.
It's an industry.....like many ....you'd wish you could bend to your desires and be more appropriate to your needs...and maybe others

The industry supports millions of people. It's also called by many .....a living, a career, hard work, benefits, supporting your family.....

Go buy a phone from VzW and tell me that is less brain damage. Lordy smh

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
Maybe I am dumb about this, but doesn't one entity own the dealership which sales and service is a part of? So there was a potential service the dealership lost because some sales guy didn't allow a simple test drive of a used car.

Or am I wrong about it and the sales and service departments are separate companies?
90% of the time, sales is sales and service is service. Same owners, different "companies".

If service fix your car, that will be bad for sales because you won't need a new car to replace the old/bad one...

Mechanics get paid hourly by the book, sales get paid 100% commission. If service spend 3 hours doing an oil change on a car that takes 15 min. they'll get paid 15 min... if the sales person spend 2 hours with a customer, and doesn't make a sale, they'll get pay nothing.

Imagine going on a test drive with the OP and missing another customer who buys a car on a $10k deal, boom, you missed $2500 commission because you said yes on a test drive for a customer that told you up front he is not buying anything...

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's an industry.....like many ....you'd wish you could bend to your desires and be more appropriate to your needs...and maybe others

The industry supports millions of people. It's also called by many .....a living, a career, hard work, benefits, supporting your family.....

Go buy a phone from VzW and tell me that is less brain damage. Lordy smh
I guess the service guy don't get to eat then...

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Yes you are wrong about this.
Sure.....One LLC or INC but at least 4 separate business units in the store....sometimes 5 if there is a body shop.
Survival of the fittest
Ma & pa stores are becoming rare ....very rare. Like so many other industries.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess the service guy don't get to eat then...
That's so funny......
I think your perception on which department(s) are profitable is a lil off kilter

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Meh. The newest Mustang I had driven was my 2002 GT.
I bought my GT350 last month without needing a test drive.

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. Mine was a ‘94 GT trading up for a 2016 GT with a supercharger. I was pretty confident I was going to like the car.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP wasn't even buying a car!
He wanted a test drive in another car on the lot to see how a ring and pinion swap might feel if he did the mod on his car

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a good rapport with the dealership and salesman they should let you. Back in November of 2013 I needed a way to get a large tool chest from Harbor freight home, so I called up my salesman and he let me borrow a brand new F150 (sticker $49,700) for about 2 hours and I brought it back when I was done.
I don't believe that at all .........
Sponsored