Sponsored

And these are ..........

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
All you folks have to do, regardless of year or model, is find the TCU and disconnect all the coaxial leads and the power/data harness. You dont have to pull fuses or antennas..... just disconnect the modem
I feel the fuse is easiest on cars that have only the TCU on that circuit, but at least we have several other easy options. Having located the TCU and antennas does give guys more options to fit their preference. I'm sure any single one of the methods will be effective, but also that some guys, without access to an RF meter, may wish to do more than one "just to make sure" ...

And if anyone was thinking that just disconnecting the shark fin would work, I'd be hesitant after seeing MikeyTX's pics. That antenna in the package tray, I'm 99% certain, is meant for 4G communication. I thought you in particular might be especially interested in its existence on a car that also has a shark fin.

This is the first I've heard the term "PIFA Antenna" but a little bit of digging reveals what they are used for. I'll reiterate that the center of the package tray is the location from which my car broadcasts. Here's a guy in 2018 asking about the PIFA Antenna on this forum:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...to-install-cdc-light-bar-2018-gt-conv.112852/
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
And if anyone was thinking that just disconnecting the shark fin would work, I'd be hesitant after seeing MikeyTX's pics
Again, every model seems to be slightly different in terms of where the antennas are. Pulling the fuse is the easiest option. Its not that more difficult to expose the TCU and yank the leads. The hardest thing to do is locate each antenna and disconnect them.

The shark fin antenna is ugly. Its like a hot chick with a big honkin nose. I opted early on in this process to remove the shark fin antenna and didn't know how it worked until I did and then disassembled one to see the inner workings of it. The shark fin is a low profile GPS/Sat radio antenna and a 4G data antenna built into one housing. There are photos and explanations of it and how it works over in my thread in the 500 section. I would only swap the antenna out if you can't stand the looks of it. I certainly would not as a strategy to stop data transmission.

Again, if it were me, I would locate the TCU and disconnect all leads. I still have my fuse in and Im not transmitting anything.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Where is this gismo in my Convertible and should I disable it??:inspect:

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Agreed on all accounts, especially that the TCU is also easy to access and disconnect. That is what I originally set out to do, I only happened to find the fuse first.

Also, I wouldn't like having the shark fin, either. Props to you for your info on that front.

I have a question for you, though... without me going back through your thread, are you positive the two leads to the shark fin include 4G data? What if the two leads are for 1) GPS and 2) Satellite radio? I'm just wondering because we have a pic here of a shark fin car with the data antenna in the package tray.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350

Sponsored

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Thanks......and here I go on a learning excursion again!!:crazy:
It will keep you occupied and from hanging out at the local Dollar General. :cwl:
Sponsored