And It's Official

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
Again, lead was an additive to stop engine knock, it was pretty much obsolete by the time it was banned.

As to the evolution of technology I do not disagree in spirit , but this is not a natural evolution. There is not even close to level of support for this new technology all throughout the supply chain.

On top of that they are also gutting ways to actually power the electric cars. Not because it’s obsolete, but because of control.

Imagine if the world had banned the use of coal just as steam arrived.
And I would like to see what a Tesla looks like after 200,000 miles, which is about what most ICE vehicles can do these days, and associated repair/maintenance costs. My sister works at a major collision company, and has told me that Telsa's quality is garbage, expensive to repair, and good luck getting parts. It takes over 6 months for some parts she said, and yes, it's just Tesla, but they seem to be the first majorly produced electric vehicles. She said she wouldn't buy one. So I wonder about longevity of electric vehicles and cost. They seem to be expensive to purchase in the first place.
Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Eh. At the end of the day, I’m very pro electric for a daily driver. It’s much more energy efficient (even including a source like coal), should be more reliable/less routine maintenance, and allows the US to tell OPEC to go pound sand (literally).

That being said, I plan to always have a manual ICE car stashed away somewhere. Who knows what kind of gas it will be running on, but I’ll be running it

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
And I would like to see what a Tesla looks like after 200,000 miles, which is about what most ICE vehicles can do these days, and associated repair/maintenance costs. My sister works at a major collision company, and has told me that Telsa's quality is garbage, expensive to repair, and good luck getting parts. It takes over 6 months for some parts she said, and yes, it's just Tesla, but they seem to be the first majorly produced electric vehicles. She said she wouldn't buy one. So I wonder about longevity of electric vehicles and cost. They seem to be expensive to purchase in the first place.
That's why when Toyota\Honda get into the full on EV market it will become more reasonable. Tesla is the flashy oooh ahhh right now because they are literally the only ones that started full EV. Just wait till the first $20,000 full EV hits with a loaded one topping that $30,000 mark then they will start losing share quite a bit.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
That's why when Toyota\Honda get into the full on EV market it will become more reasonable. Tesla is the flashy oooh ahhh right now because they are literally the only ones that started full EV. Just wait till the first $20,000 full EV hits with a loaded one topping that $30,000 mark then they will start losing share quite a bit.
Hyundai has 2 that start under 35.

You're not gonna get a 20K EV, even a 20K ICE is generally a crap car now adays.

Toyotas new EV is just like Toyota's sports cars... rebranded version of another car (Subaru in this case).

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Excellent Advertising scheme................................sells cars, then they can change their minds in 2024 to keep them because DEMAND is so high.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Excellent Advertising scheme................................sells cars, then they can change their minds in 2024 to keep them because DEMAND is so high.
That's why they have stuck around so long already. YEARS AGO there was a 'cuda in the works to replace the challenger, but sales stayed so strong that they just never came out with it. The project was so far along that it had been mentioned to parts providers they order things like fasteners and latches from. Then it just faded away.

I wonder how much of this EV is what is left over from the old 'cuda project or if it was all scrapped.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I posted this before about the EV coming wave... how does the electric power plants generate that juice you need for the EV, a lot of it still comes from fossil fuels. Power companies can "store" generated juice in batteries but firs they have to make it and Natural Gas and yep coal are still being used to generate electricity. So who's saving who? IMHO there is no emuscle car, it's a fast EV but a muscle car makes a big sound, spins rubber fast, has a loud exhaust and a big ass gas engine. It may go away someday but the auto industry can't sell $60,000 EV's to people that make $15 or $20 per hour.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
why not? we have 10 year loans now. only a matter of time until there are 12 year, 14, etc.....
Maybe I'll update that with folks that make $15 or $20 per hour won't buy $60,000 EV's. One thing positive I've seen is that younger folks are done with buying tons of shit on credit weighing themselves down with "stuff" for stuff's sake. Way to go!

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Maybe I'll update that with folks that make $15 or $20 per hour won't buy $60,000 EV's. One thing positive I've seen is that younger folks are done with buying tons of shit on credit weighing themselves down with "stuff" for stuff's sake. Way to go!
except for shitty degrees they pay way too much for.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
ICE won't go away totally, it's ok for the latte drinking neo-libtards living in sunny climes near the coast to think so but no one in their right mind is going to give up an ICE vehicle in the prairies or northern territories. I think EVs as a city car or as primary transport for an office worker or soccer mom etc makes good sense. no oil changes, fewer moving parts to service always starts (assuming charged) just get in and go. And we as gear heads are in a minority, most people dont care how it work hell they don't know how an ICE works, they just want to get in and go.

But as others have said, infrastructure is iffy right now, they are expensive which if your a trust fund baby isn't an issue but for poor Joe soap trying to buy a vehicle to get to work, IS! Brave person driving one from Regina to Winnipeg in January. Or further north in the mines (it's not all just oil you know, Uranium gold diamonds etc.)

But the majority of drivers will swap to EV sooner or later. As the big car players move in and prices equalize for a non gear head the attraction is too great. But that's ok, bit like motorbikes there will always be a small niche market for performance ICE.

If you want to get scared consider this hypothetical.

At some point in the future, 5 years from now or 20, self driving cars will be here, they will be safer than you. And your insurance either wont insure you to drive, only your car will be allowed to drive or the excess fee will be prohibitive. Its not EVs I worry about, it's not being able to drive at all.

Happy Tuesday :(

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
why not? we have 10 year loans now. only a matter of time until there are 12 year, 14, etc.....
Wtf a ten year loan? jesus. It’s becoming a mortgage almost 🤣

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Wtf a ten year loan? jesus. It’s becoming a mortgage almost 🤣
I’d wager that it might as well be a mortgage for some of the folks signing on the dotted line. The financial commitments they are taking on will certainly prevent them from ever obtaining an actual mortgage lol
Sponsored