Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
My alternator has been reading 14.0 since new.now it's teadingv14.6

Does that mean my battery is starting to fail
I was gonna test battery but it's near impossible to get cover off with hydraulic lifts,auto zone will install for free.but I wanted some input from you guys on chsnge in alternator output voltage,
Sponsored

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I presume you are referring to the voltage readout in the instrument cluster. Most car batteries nowadays last between 3-5 years, so if yours is approaching that age it might be starting to be "less than optimal." But this doesn't necessarily mean it's time to replace it.

When my battery failed, I started to notice that the car in Accessory Mode (just the electronics on), the car would shut down after a minute or so on the SYNC screen reading, "System Off to Save Battery" Normally it would have stayed in this mode for 10 mins or more. I also had an experience around the same time where the car was on a charger and I went to start it and it click-click-clicked.

The best way to know if the battery is failing is to have it tested, and as you mentioned, places like AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts will do so for free.

I don't quite understand why you say it's impossible to get the battery cover off? Isn't it just a few trim plugs that you unscrew to remove it? It's certainly not a process requiring lifts of any sort. If you take it have it tested, I'm sure they can manage it just fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I presume you are referring to the voltage readout in the instrument cluster. Most batteries last between 3-5 years, so if yours is approaching that age it might be starting to be "less than optimal." But this doesn't necessarily mean it's time to replace it.

The best way to know if the battery is failing is to have it tested, and as you mentioned, places like AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts will do so for free.

I don't quite understand why you say it's impossible to get the battery cover off? Isn't it just a few trim plugs that you unscrew to remove it? It's certainly not a process requiring lifts of any sort. If you take it have it tested, I'm sure they can manage it just fine.
Thanks.i have the hydraulic lifts which get in the way of tsking off the cover.i did cut a slit which us supposed to make it easier to slide cover over hydraulic rod,but I wasn't to do it this am to actually test the battery
It's 4 years old dap think I'm ready.they only tske a 600cca battery.thought it would be higher.my wife's twin turbo xts takes 750 and has 50 to less

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
When my battery was dying I also electrical issues before the battery showed any signs of failure. Passanger door wouldn't open from the handle and car would shut off with in a minute of sitting instead of letting me play the radio for 10+ minutes while sitting there. Car still fired up no problem at that point.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
My alternator has been reading 14.0 since new.now it's teadingv14.6...
Those numbers have nothing to do with the battery. It just means the alternator is putting out more volts, for whatever reasons.

As other have explained, the car will tell you when it needs a battery. Weird stuff will start happening.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The display should change the voltage shown randomly. As long as its between 12.8-14.8V, nothing to worry about. Test the battery after 12-14 hours with engine off with a VOM. 12.3-12.6V should be resting voltage.

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks.i have the hydraulic lifts which get in the way of tsking off the cover.i did cut a slit which us supposed to make it easier to slide cover over hydraulic rod,but I wasn't to do it this am to actually test the battery
It's 4 years old dap think I'm ready.they only tske a 600cca battery.thought it would be higher.my wife's twin turbo xts takes 750 and has 50 to less
Ahhh, makes sense. I have the redline hood struts and even though I cut the hole, it can still be a pain to remove the cover.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
There are inexpensive battery testers that can be helpful. I have one from Amazon, I think I paid about $30 for it. It's been pretty helpful for me. It's quick and easy to use and there's no need to get to the actual battery. Just a lead directly attached to the positive post and a ground.
Just recently my wife's car popped an emissions code. When I was checking for codes I noticed a couple of stored things indicating low battery voltage. Put the little tester on and sure enough the battery was only at 60%. It makes it nice to head off the problem before I have to go to her in a parking lot on a freezing night to change a battery.
Also, my battery cover comes off pretty easy with it being cut.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
My alternator has been reading 14.0 since new.now it's teadingv14.6

Does that mean my battery is starting to fail
I was gonna test battery but it's near impossible to get cover off with hydraulic lifts,auto zone will install for free.but I wanted some input from you guys on chsnge in alternator output voltage,
@ Bob

Before you go auto zone check out ORilleys and look at this battery. A 10-year-old AC Delco, was not giving any problems, just changed it because of its age.

This is the Mustang direct replacement 96R, ORilleys may change it, I remember seeing some signage saying they were doing some curbside work. Cause I trust my skill sets I did not pay attention.

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 9.14.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 7.18.46 AM.png

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
@ Bob

Before you go auto zone check out ORilleys and look at this battery. A 10-year-old AC Delco, was not giving any problems, just changed it because of its age.

This is the Mustang direct replacement 96R, ORilleys may change it, I remember seeing some signage saying they were doing some curbside work. Cause I trust my skill sets I did not pay attention.

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 9.14.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 7.18.46 AM.png
Thanks for al advice,battery tested 50%.got new one and alternator is back to 14,I usually only get 4 years on battery so 10 is amazing.do you have it on

Sponsored
OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for al advice,battery tested 50%.got new one and alternator is back to 14,I usually only get 4 years on battery so 10 is amazing.do you have it on
Sorry. Do you have it on trickle charge

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

No, it is the wife's car and a DD. Did not want the car to go belly up .. a proactive decision.

Next time only change the battery, ALT was overkill.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Did whoever changed the battery reset the battery monitor? It's probably not a big deal but if it's not done the car thinks it's still a 4 y/o battery and that affects the power/charging strategy.
Most 2 way scan tools can do it but I think it can be done without a tool as well.

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
My battery started cranking the engine over noticibly slower when I was taking shorter trips. I had it checked and it was borderline so I got a new one and didn't wait till I got stranded.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did whoever changed the battery reset the battery monitor? It's probably not a big deal but if it's not done the car thinks it's still a 4 y/o battery and that affects the power/charging strategy.
Most 2 way scan tools can do it but I think it can be done without a tool as well.

I believe it sits overnight car will recognize the replacement, the next day.
Sponsored