Sponsored

Almost carjacked today...

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I would be scared but not scared enough I would shoot someone that doesn't threaten me with a weapon and then possibly have to face a jury of "our peers". But, having been in combat 5 times, I may think a little differently. Crazy, even in combat, "our peers" send people to prison for making the wrong decision and killing someone that was trying to kill them in the first place. If he stops the car and runs to attack me with his bare hands, he just might get run over as I was trying to avoid the attack. It is easy to arm chair almost any situation; being in the situation is totally different.

A car can be a weapon. If this happened to you would you be scared for your life?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I saw a guy on i95 shoot out a cars window, never know what his motivation was. People are nutz. He was next to me for a good while.

Glad you are safe..

Why couldn't you outrun a ford fusion?
It wasn’ta matter of being able to outrun the Fusion but a matter of respecting the traffic around me which didn’t allow for me to safely pass them to get away.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Ive been in combat also.

Obviously the OP did not think his life was in immediate danger or he would have fired his weapon. Having it ready is not the same as using it.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I agree with the OPs actions.

Ive been in combat also.

Obviously the OP did not think his life was in immediate danger or he would have fired his weapon. Having it ready is not the same as using it.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
You keep saying let it go, but continue to push your perspective and agenda. Maybe it’s time for you to take your own advice. If you would chose not to possibly defend yourself that’s your right, quite possibly to your demise. It’s also someone else’s right to do the opposite.

I would be scared but not scared enough I would shoot someone that doesn't threaten me with a weapon and then possibly have to face a jury of "our peers". But, having been in combat 5 times, I may think a little differently. Crazy, even in combat, "our peers" send people to prison for making the wrong decision and killing someone that was trying to kill them in the first place. If he stops the car and runs to attack me with his bare hands, he just might get run over as I was trying to avoid the attack. It is easy to arm chair almost any situation; being in the situation is totally different.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
You are late to the game. What are you even talking about? I was responding to one poster and to that poster only. I don't have a perspective or agenda. I said I agree with the OP actions. What agenda is that. I don't agree with shooting unarmed people and stated that. That has nothing to do with an agenda. I never said anything about not defending myself. I would have done exactly as the OP did UNLESS THINGS WERE DIFFERENT. IF MY LIFE IS IN DANGER, THEN YES THE RESPONSE WOULD BE SELF DEFENSE.

You keep saying let it go, but continue to push your perspective and agenda. Maybe it’s time for you to take your own advice. If you would chose not to possibly defend yourself that’s your right, quite possibly to your demise. It’s also someone else’s right to do the opposite.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the well wishes fellas. My stomach was in knots for the rest of the day. It was the first time I have ever loaded my conceal carry and intended to use it if need arose.

I don’t wish this on any of you. I am thankful to God I was safe and able to get home.

I surely didn’t want to fire my weapon unless I had a legitimate reason to. When Isaw his door open I had to make a split-second calculation... be ready to protect myself or find an opening in the right lane to evade to. Thankfully, that was the option. I didn’t want to give anyone a reason to question my right to conceal and carry but my worry was what happened when I eventually got cornered or had to stop. It didn’t come to that as I was able to kept the car in 3rd and 4th gear to speed past his attempts to take my rear quarters or use the brakes to evade his attempts to sideswipe me.

The car was expendable. I wasn’t and I was going home that day. I carry a Glock 19 or a Sig 365 with safety. This day I had the Sig and I never carry with a round in the chamber but after he attempted to exit the car I racked a round in the chamber and kept the safety on.

I felt I did all I could do to respect the law, my rights and the safety of those around me. Unfortunately, thugs and criminals don’t care about those which is why there are times when the safety has to come off. Thankfully today didn’t go that route.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are late to the game. What are you even talking about? I was responding to one poster and to that poster only. I don't have a perspective or agenda. I said I agree with the OP actions. What agenda is that. I don't agree with shooting unarmed people and stated that. That has nothing to do with an agenda. I never said anything about not defending myself. I would have done exactly as the OP did UNLESS THINGS WERE DIFFERENT. IF MY LIFE IS IN DANGER, THEN YES THE RESPONSE WOULD BE SELF DEFENSE.
No disrespect but a car being used to run you off the road or barricade you is, IMHO, a weapon. I wouldn’t expect a guy to go through all of this and attempt to exit his car without a means of exacting his agenda. I was prepared if he did have a firearm. Thank God we didn’t create any 5pm news.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wow, this thread got sidetracked. The OP never said the criminal pulled a weapon on him. Castle Law does not say you can shoot someone because of road rage and not threatening with a weapon and this is what it looks like the situation may have been.
A car will absolutely kill you if it crashes into you, especially at speed (anything over 20 mph speed differential is deadly and 50+ - no question about it). Yes it's a weapon.

So you are so brave that a couple tons of metal coming at you doesn't scare you. You are unusual. Most people would fear for their lives.

If you are traveling at highway speeds and get hit hard by another car, your life is in danger. Maybe you don't realize it because you are so brave, but your life is in danger.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If you are ever in a situation where you have to discharge your weapon, your statement to the police should contain only these words, “I felt my life was in danger. I need a lawyer.” Nothing else. Telling your side of the story can ONLY harm you legally.

Let the police, lawyers, and courts figure out if what you did was legal with evidence but not evidence you give them because if it wasn’t, you are sunk if you give a statement

This comes straight from my lawyer’s mouth.

Glad to hear you are ok. Your situational awareness and preparation for a situation like that was the reason why. You did a great job.

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I'm honestly a bit surprised there's 5 pages of talking about guns but not about having a 2 channel dash cam. Glad you're ok, sounds like an incredibly scary and nerve-wracking situation.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks for all the well wishes fellas. My stomach was in knots for the rest of the day. It was the first time I have ever loaded my conceal carry and intended to use it if need arose.

I don’t wish this on any of you. I am thankful to God I was safe and able to get home.

I surely didn’t want to fire my weapon unless I had a legitimate reason to. When Isaw his door open I had to make a split-second calculation... be ready to protect myself or find an opening in the right lane to evade to. Thankfully, that was the option. I didn’t want to give anyone a reason to question my right to conceal and carry but my worry was what happened when I eventually got cornered or had to stop. It didn’t come to that as I was able to kept the car in 3rd and 4th gear to speed past his attempts to take my rear quarters or use the brakes to evade his attempts to sideswipe me.

The car was expendable. I wasn’t and I was going home that day. I carry a Glock 19 or a Sig 365 with safety. This day I had the Sig and I never carry with a round in the chamber but after he attempted to exit the car I racked a round in the chamber and kept the safety on.

I felt I did all I could do to respect the law, my rights and the safety of those around me. Unfortunately, thugs and criminals don’t care about those which is why there are times when the safety has to come off. Thankfully today didn’t go that route.
So since this started at a gas station, did you or the Police go back to that station and request their video surveillance from the exterior AND interior of the store? What about getting any cam vids from the route taken after coming off the station's lot? What about other buildings or stores nearby that also may have cams?

There's cams everywhere these days - and if the Driver of the Fusion had malicious intent that started at the store or was antagonizing you by throwing a cig at your car - wouldn't going back to the cams at the store be the first thing one would do - be it you or the Police?

Did the Police go back and get any info and will they be following up with you? The cams would have this dude, his actions and his vehicle, along with possible plate info (depending on how good the cam system is). I mean if this guy is some crazed nut picking random people to screw with, what's to say he doesn't try the same with anyone else or worse, a female?

At least you used your head and didn't pop a round off. It's not always like the movies or "clean" after the discharging the shot, especially if you hit the target. Most folks think just because they can carry they have open range to take the law into their own hands as they wish. That is until they find themselves trying to justify the situation and finding out there's many intricacies of the State laws where even if protecting one's self being or properly can lead to lengthy and expensive legal battles trying to prove they were in the right. The advice of BlackandBlue is spot on...

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
OP - glad everything worked out.
For everyone else - do what you think you need to do to protect yourself and your family.

I don't judge anyone else for what they believe, but I also will not let other peoples' beliefs alter what I believe is correct to defend myself and my family.

For all those who carry / own firearms - going to the range is great, but going to the range doesn't even come close to reproducing how your body will react in certain situations. It differs from person to person and from situation to situation. One person in a certain situation can react one way and if the same person was put in a similar situation again, there's no guarantee they won't react differently the second time around.

That's where training comes in. Repetitive training. Over and over until you perform certain things without actively thinking about it. Such as assessing the threat / situation etc. That's something everyone can do if they care to.

I second / third the mention of dash cameras and I really need to take my own advice and setup our vehicles with camera - at least make it a priority to do so.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
ahhh I doubt very much 'most' who carry think anything of the sort.
Ok, let's say "some" have the tough guy, Dirty Harry mentality - and leave it at that... this thread is turning into a firearms thread which will only get locked... :beer::thumbsup:
Sponsored