Air Tube Delete

77Highboy77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
The Ecoboosts definitely still have the pre-air box resonator, at least in 2018. My stock airbox had it.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
don't know then. I just know I read GT guys talk about swapping 17 for 18 box's because they was enlarged.
The airbox mouth (where it transitions from the box to the round tube) is larger. The tube after the MAF to the TB is also larger, but the rectangular part itself (both top and bottom) are exactly the same.

15-17 guys swap the whole top of the airbox because it's all one molded unit. You can' just swap the MAF tube, it's part of the airbox lid.

OP
OP

NicksGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost
The airbox mouth (where it transitions from the box to the round tube) is larger. The tube after the MAF to the TB is also larger, but the rectangular part itself (both top and bottom) are exactly the same.

15-17 guys swap the whole top of the airbox because it's all one molded unit. You can' just swap the MAF tube, it's part of the airbox lid.
Eco forum or GT?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
has to be taking about gt, because Ecoboost is not a solid thing. the airbag nose, connects into the stock airbox

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I clicked on the topic without looking at what forum it is in. I do this too often LOL.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
id keep it, its a reserve of air and if your engine needs that air, its there on tap. ugly yeah, but I mean. who cares. Lol
It's called a Helmholtz Resonator. It is tuned to cancel sound frequencies caused by air rushing though the air box to make the intake quieter.

It is not a reserve of air because it's not pressurized, it is at the same pressure as the rest of the air box.

OP
OP

NicksGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost
It's called a Helmholtz Resonator. It is tuned to cancel sound frequencies caused by air rushing though the air box to make the intake quieter.

It is not a reserve of air because it's not pressurized, it is at the same pressure as the rest of the air box.
dgc333:
Thanks for the info. I'll be removing it (aesthetics) as it will still be quieter than most open filament CAI's.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
can it cause droning? just curious.

since we EcoBoost have that snorkel piece thats removable, we can rebuy it if we wanted yeah? I may do it too. I like intake noise. swoooosh.

I just figured it was a reserve of air on an wot

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
No drone, I cut mine off Of my EB years ago and capped it with a wheel center cap. Perfect fit.
Why are GT owners Chiming in, EB does not have a MAF.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
No drone, I cut mine off Of my EB years ago and capped it with a wheel center cap. Perfect fit.
Why are GT owners Chiming in, EB does not have a MAF.
surprisingly a lot of EB owners seem to think they have maf's too. I just ignore the comments now. It makes sense though that GT guys don't know EcoBoost are map, but when EcoBoost owners tell other EcoBoost owners about MAF, that gets annoying. lol

Sponsored

BLU-PNY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang premium vert, 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2006 Mazda Miata

I question this - The larger Airaid molded intake tube fits all Ecoboost Mustangs 2015 thru 2021. If the round transition/connection from square airbox to intake tube was different size, the Airaid tube would not fit universally for all years. Am I misunderstanding what is being referenced??

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I question this - The larger Airaid molded intake tube fits all Ecoboost Mustangs 2015 thru 2021. If the round transition/connection from square airbox to intake tube was different size, the Airaid tube would not fit universally for all years. Am I misunderstanding what is being referenced??
This is for GTs only, EB intakes are all the same throughout the years.

Which now I realize we're in the EB section, so my point is kinda moot. I thought this was the general engine section.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I'm continually amazed by the confidence of the uninformed.

It is a NVH addition to quiet certain harmonics.
I read about people removing those tubes experiencing droning, blows my mind air can cause droning.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I read about people removing those tubes experiencing droning, blows my mind air can cause droning.
You know how two musical notes played at the same time can sound great or can sound awful? Same thing here, the vessel is designed to quell frequencies that when combined with other sounds (exhaust) produce undesired sound (drone). Fox body 5.0's first 'mod' was to pull the air intake silencer, which had been proven to add hp, but pretty much guaranteed drone with anything other than stock exhaust.
Sponsored