Reaction score
Website
www.jerryallgire.com
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost - Pre-Production #280 Product Planning & Styling Vehicle
Vehicle Showcase
There is not enough difference in performance between any of those configurations to be felt by the butt Dyno. You would need some serious modes before the stock air box/filter and intake tube becomes a restriction and changing to another intake or tube would make a difference.
Ha! Sounds like a butt Dyno calibration may be needed. :like: Everyone says the filter box isn't restrictive, just the stock tube. Sounds like the one combination you might want to try yet. I like your black stripes on the blue. Good combination.

JerryA

RedEcoJet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jerryallgire.com
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am taking delivery of one today. I’ll repsond back and let you know.
I didn't notice any increase in turbo sounds after adding the Airaid tube. Venting the BOV will give you the whoosh sound, but little more.

JerryA

OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Ha! Sounds like a butt Dyno calibration may be needed. :like: Everyone says the filter box isn't restrictive, just the stock tube. Sounds like the one combination you might want to try yet. I like your black stripes on the blue. Good combination.

JerryA
Yeah, that's the reason I asked. Found out the the airbox is fine but the tube is restrictive. I wanted to ask those who ONLY upgraded the tube and no tune, since A LOT of people here do tune them, or those who mod are more likely to tune it ultimately. I honestly think the problem with the ecoboost is heatsoak, so upgrading intercooler and make it less restrictive will be enough to prevent the ecoboost of being "robbed" of power and start to feel "anemic" as some people call it, that should help in most cases unless of course you do need a 5 sec or under car, I am ok with a mid/high 5 second :thumbsup:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium

JerryA
There is nothing wrong with my butt Dyno, it's had 50 years of fine tuning.

When a CAI like the JLT with it's massive filter and intake tube does not make enough differences over the stock intake for the butt Dyno to detect, thinking that putting an intake tube equivalent in size to the JLT on the stock box will make a difference just doesn't pass the sniff test.

The mind is a powerful thing and when you spend money on what is supposed to be a performance enhancement the mind will do what it has to convince you that there is one.

The only real advantage of the Airaid tube or the JLT tube is they both have provisions to connect to the inlet of a larger turbo.

Sponsored

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
12.5. In your dreams.
its really easy to do, i have tuned 5 different ecoboost mustangs that have done it, they put around 320-330whp on 100ot fuel, use stock sized hoosier drag radials on stock wheels, and cobb or speedfactory intercoolers, they go 12.4-12.6 at 106-108 mph on a DA around 1500-2500 with 1.7x 60ft.

Yeah, that's the reason I asked. Found out the the airbox is fine but the tube is restrictive. I wanted to ask those who ONLY upgraded the tube and no tune, since A LOT of people here do tune them, or those who mod are more likely to tune it ultimately. I honestly think the problem with the ecoboost is heatsoak, so upgrading intercooler and make it less restrictive will be enough to prevent the ecoboost of being "robbed" of power and start to feel "anemic" as some people call it, that should help in most cases unless of course you do need a 5 sec or under car, I am ok with a mid/high 5 second :thumbsup:
I have seen maybe 5whp with the JLT intake, and then next pass give less power than before the intake, and no change in 1/4 mile mph.
A aftermarket intercooler will make a difference because the stock intercooler cant keep the charge temps under control and the ecu will start pulling timing to protect the engine, the longer the pull, less power you will have at the end.

RedEcoJet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jerryallgire.com
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is nothing wrong with my butt Dyno, it's had 50 years of fine tuning.

When a CAI like the JLT with it's massive filter and intake tube does not make enough differences over the stock intake for the butt Dyno to detect, thinking that putting an intake tube equivalent in size to the JLT on the stock box will make a difference just doesn't pass the sniff test.

The mind is a powerful thing and when you spend money on what is supposed to be a performance enhancement the mind will do what it has to convince you that there is one.

The only real advantage of the Airaid tube or the JLT tube is they both have provisions to connect to the inlet of a larger turbo.
Yes, it doesn't seem to pass the sniff test based on the combinations you've tried. A number of variables between different cars. Maybe your 3.55 gear makes the difference less noticable. I hope the OP gets the same improvement I did. Fun cars no matter what.

JerryA

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
I didn't notice any increase in turbo sounds after adding the Airaid tube. Venting the BOV will give you the whoosh sound, but little more.

JerryA
There is a more spool sound. I did hook up the recirc tube though because the blow off sound was quite annoying.
Sponsored