Sponsored

AFD ProFlex E85 Commander Journey w/ GT350

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Hey guys, I just got my 19 GT350, and starting to plan my modifications for the vehicle. After looking at whats on the market, Ive decided to go with the Proflex system from AFD. To me it makes perfect sense IF you want to run E85 and 93. The Ford system uses knock/lambda to determine ethanol content which is reactionary, inaccurate, and risky for someone who wants to pound on their car. So despite Lund and others providing a flex tune, it is merely for convenience and not for making real power. Lund even has videos stating this. They do have a dedicated E85 tune, which would make the power, but to me it is still risky due to the varying levels of ethanol content and requirement to ensure your tank is truly full of E85 and no 93 is left in the tank. The GT350 stock tune specifically allows for significant timing advancement if no knock is detected, (even putting race gas in will make more power without a tune), so using this kit will allow the stock pcm to take advantage of the higher octane.

Now I know there is not much information out there on this kit, but after talking to the AFD guys on the phone I feel confident that it will work well with my vehicle and will not max out my stock injectors if i keep it N/A.

My car is a daily driver, and if I didn't need to pass state inspection, I would just go full standalone with a Motec M150 (which also has full flex capability like other standalones with the GM ethanol content sensor) and their crazy awesome custom firmware, but alas I do need to pass inspection.

I will soon be getting an appointment at Serious HP here in Houston, TX to get a baseline dyno run with no mods. Hopefully I will be able to install the kit the same day and get in another pull, but if not I will go back to Serious HP to get my post install dyno pull with no mods.

I hope I can help some of you guys determine if this kit will work for you and show that that this is another valid option in the market. I am not sponsored by AFD, I am paying full price for my kit (10% discount coupon code), and am no way affiliated with AFD, Serious HP, or any other tuning shop or performance parts company. I work in IT at an oil and gas company here in Houston.
Sponsored

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Let me know how you like SeriousHP. Went to them over a year ago but didn't really have a great experience but looks like they've rotated out their staff completely including the in-house tuner since then.

OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I made an appointment for next Thursday there, I was hoping to get in this week but they are booked up.

You have any other recommendations in Houston?

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
After spending several months with both SeriousHP and PowerFAB, I wouldn't recommend them on more in-depth projects at least for Fords but they do have dynos which would be fine for your appointment.

Heideman Racing Dynamics branched off from Houston Performance Motorsports and I hear they're doing pretty good business still. Midnight Performance does great work but they're almost always booked up I imagine. For most installs I go to BFS Performance.. who correctly nearly everything that SeriousHP and PowerFAB did on my car.

OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Thanks bud, i have an appointment at PowerFab on Friday, let yall know how it goes.

Sponsored

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
The Ford system uses knock/lambda to determine ethanol content which is reactionary, inaccurate, and risky for someone who wants to pound on their car. So despite Lund and others providing a flex tune, it is merely for convenience and not for making real power. Lund even has videos stating this. They do have a dedicated E85 tune, which would make the power, but to me it is still risky due to the varying levels of ethanol content and requirement to ensure your tank is truly full of E85 and no 93 is left in the tank.
The information above is not exactly accurate.

Lambda/ knock is accurate and not risky.

The Flex Tune absolutely adds power, it adds the same amount of maximum timing as the E85 tune just not as much under the curve (lower rpm). Post the videos of Lund saying it doesn’t make real power, like to see the context of the comment.

With the E85 dedicated tune you do not truly have to have full E85, you must have at least 75% ethanol with Lund. Other tuners or special tunes you may order could say otherwise but with the Lund tune everyone orders all you need is 75% minimum for the E85 tune. With the Flex tune you can add whatever mix you want of 93 and E85.

I think the ProFlex Commander is a cool product and I’m not bashing it at all, I almost bought it myself! I ended up with the Lund Flex and E85 tunes and also installed a Fuel-it! Branded Bluetooth Ethanol sensor package. I did a write up on it as well, search “(Install with pics) Bluetooth Ethanol Sensor” and you’ll find it.

Please post results, curious to see how it does. Bluetooth ethanol sensors are great so I know you and anyone who buys the Proflex kit will be happy.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
i think the main selling point for me on this AFD ProFlex Commander is the fact that it doesnt affect my warranty. From all I understand and have read, and I am open to being corrected (in fact, I'd love to be wrong on this), is that any tune (eg, Lund, PBD) is detectable by Ford and "probably will" void your warranty.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
i think the main selling point for me on this AFD ProFlex Commander is the fact that it doesnt affect my warranty. From all I understand and have read, and I am open to being corrected (in fact, I'd love to be wrong on this), is that any tune (eg, Lund, PBD) is detectable by Ford and "probably will" void your warranty.
This is what I believe to be true also. The only thing you’d have to worry about is if something did happen with the Proflex on your car you’d have to drain the E85 out of the tank and flush your fuel system the best you could before letting the dealer get ahold of it.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I believe to be true also. The only thing you’d have to worry about is if something did happen with the Proflex on your car you’d have to drain the E85 out of the tank and flush your fuel system the best you could before letting the dealer get ahold of it.
true enough...

Sponsored
OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Just an update guys, I had my car dynoed bone stock at Heideiman Racing Dynamics, on a DynoJet, made 463whp. (SAE smoothing, not STD)

Then my shifter broke, and my car is at the dealer. Once I get it back, ill continue my journey and updates.
20190531_181039.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350

Here is the video i was talking about explaining flex tune vs dedicated e85 tune.

OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
does anyone know what the stock fuel pressure for a voodoo motor is? If it is 55psi, the stock injectors should be plenty for e85, but if its 43.5psi like some other cars, then the stock injectors are not good enough based on the math I did assuming 42lb stock injectors.

OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I know everyone does it, but that's not comfortable enough for me. I'd rather know for sure.

I would go run a datalog real quick (pretty sure our cars have stock fuel psi sender in the rail) but my car is at the dealer.
Sponsored