Sponsored

AEM DryFlow filter review.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well, I have always felt that CAI's tend to be a bit of overkill and an awful lot of money for the small gains you get. However, I wanted a little more power if possible. So, I decided to buy an AEM DryFlow filter that fits into the OEM intake box, because I just don't want to add a whole CAI, nor need a tune because of it.

Well, I have to say just a quick 20 minute test drive really opened my eyes. At first I thought maybe it was just a placebo effect, but I honestly could tell the low end throttle response was slightly better. Not a huge amount, but it is there none the less. It definitely feels a little more torq'ish when accelerating in the first 1-3 gears. I have no idea if there is any measured amount of top end HP, but for everyday driving, my experience is a bit better.
I have no desire to race, but for everyday driving I was looking for a little more "Oomf". It does appear this filter frees up the intake air flow a bit, providing just that.

My only concern now, is how often will it need to be cleaned? I pulled my factory filter at 4,500 miles, and it still looks basically new, so I'm guessing I'll have to clean this filter about every 10-15,000 miles.

All in all, I do recommend this little guy for those who want a little more "Oomf" for everyday use with very little hassle, and don't want to spend a ton of money on a CAI that may require a tune/oiling for optimum performance.
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
You probably won't have to clean or replace it for 30,000 miles. Your experience is not likely placebo. A higher flowing filter helps.

CAIs do increase power. Part of it is because of the larger MAF and part of it is the size and type of the filter. The large cone style filters in most CAIs will flow more potentially making more power. Where you really see it is in high RPMs when the restriction of the stock airbox and filter comes into play. A CAI like the JLT or PMAS will flow way more, trust me. But you also need a tune for larger MAF CAIs like those.

A CAI + Tune + E85 will produce some noticable gains on the 2018 car. But, I think your approach is good. I'd stick with the stock airbox for now, at least until your know your engine is good. Later on you may want to look at a tune, etc.

FWIW, I use a JLT with a dry cone filter. It flows as much if not more than the same oiled filter. Basically you do not always have to use an oil filter. Filter technology has gotten a lot better. I also use a pre-filter which blocks incoming dirt and water, without impeding the airflow. It's a special design by Outerwears. It keeps the filter clean and dry, making it last longer and preventing water intrusion.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
You probably won't have to clean or replace it for 30,000 miles. Your experience is not likely placebo. A higher flowing filter helps.

CAIs do increase power. Part of it is because of the larger MAF and part of it is the size and type of the filter. The large cone style filters in most CAIs will flow more potentially making more power. Where you really see it is in high RPMs when the restriction of the stock airbox and filter comes into play. A CAI like the JLT or PMAS will flow way more, trust me. But you also need a tune for larger MAF CAIs like those.

A CAI + Tune + E85 will produce some noticable gains on the 2018 car. But, I think your approach is good. I'd stick with the stock airbox for now, at least until your know your engine is good. Later on you may want to look at a tune, etc.

FWIW, I use a JLT with a dry cone filter. It flows as much if not more than the same oiled filter. Basically you do not always have to use an oil filter. Filter technology has gotten a lot better. I also use a pre-filter which blocks incoming dirt and water, without impeding the airflow. It's a special design by Outerwears. It keeps the filter clean and dry, making it last longer and preventing water intrusion.
If it's blocking dirt and water it is also blocking some airflow as well. There's no free lunch. Better filtration comes at the expense of a little less airflow being allowed through. The stock filter is a compromise just like a K&N filter.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
If it's blocking dirt and water it is also blocking some airflow as well. There's no free lunch. Better filtration comes at the expense of a little less airflow being allowed through. The stock filter is a compromise just like a K&N filter.
I think my 50.5 MAF lb/min might disagree with you. Sounds like pretty good airflow to me.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I think my 50.5 MAF lb/min might disagree with you. Sounds like pretty good airflow to me.
And what was the number with just the JLT filter?

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
And what was the number with just the JLT filter?
I'm not going to bother to test it. That would be an extreme waste of time to test properly. You win lol

Reactions: Ebm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'm not going to bother to test it. That would be an extreme waste of time to test properly. You win lol
I'm only curious because I used to own a truck with a prefilter for offroad reasons. If you put your hand on 1 side and blew air on the other side, some of the air was diverted. Makes me think it was restrictive, just don't know how restrictive.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I'm only curious because I used to own a truck with a prefilter for offroad reasons. If you put your hand on 1 side and blew air on the other side, some of the air was diverted. Makes me think it was restrictive, just don't know how restrictive.
According the manufacturer's description - it doesn't restrict any.

https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/ZenC...ducts_id=799&zenid=fke88vqgvhmfvfkrll2gshtur4

It deflects dirt away and allows water to bead off. I'd wager that a filter without it would be restricted more because dirt would get into the filter element instead of being deflected away..

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
According the manufacturer's description - it doesn't restrict any.

https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/ZenC...ducts_id=799&zenid=fke88vqgvhmfvfkrll2gshtur4

It deflects dirt away and allows water to bead off. I'd wager that a filter without it would be restricted more because dirt would get into the filter element instead of being deflected away..
If the air filter is dirty, I could see that. You mentioned you have a dry filter on your JLT? Can you point me to a dry filter that fits our JLT intakes. I've been looking at one, but wasn't sure what size.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I might look into a CAI down the road, but you are right in that my 2018 has the "tick", and I don't want to be doing anything that will really give them an excuse not to fix it, if it becomes a major issue. That said, I know CAI's will provide more power on the high end, so I won't dispute that. But for a daily driver like mine, it seems like a lot of money for something I really won't utilize to its full potential on a regular basis. Maybe someday whe nit is an older car, paid off, and I want something to really play with, but for now, this filter seems to really do the trick.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Reactions: Ebm

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I might look into a CAI down the road, but you are right in that my 2018 has the "tick", and I don't want to be doing anything that will really give them an excuse not to fix it, if it becomes a major issue. That said, I know CAI's will provide more power on the high end, so I won't dispute that. But for a daily driver like mine, it seems like a lot of money for something I really won't utilize to its full potential on a regular basis. Maybe someday whe nit is an older car, paid off, and I want something to really play with, but for now, this filter seems to really do the trick.
I agree. And your car makes more than enough power as it is. Plus the stock airbox keeps the IATs lower which is a good thing.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
I've had an AEM for a while. Washed it and let it dry. I was quite unhappy to find a tiny piece of wire on the paper towel I placed it on after I tapped it gently to help dry it.

It took a couple of days (yes really) to dry completely and that was after I used a hair dryer to assist in dying. When totally dry I tapped it again and some fine grit came out.

Anyhow it is hopefully grit free now and any loose wire is off. Seems to be working well. I've been told that pairing the free flow filter with a Mishimoto Induction tube (and pulling the carbon filter out of the stock airbox) unleashes a few pony's

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Remove the carbon trap inside the airbox you will feel the car accelerates faster there is a thread in here that i guy dropped a performance air filter and removed the carbon trap and the car made like 7whp.

Reactions: A7X

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Anybody use the Green Filter panel replacement? It is like 42 shipped off fleabay right now. Make a nice stocking stuffer. :).

My last maf lb/min was 49.62 through stock paper filter.
Sponsored