Sponsored

Is tuning required for AEM Dryflow drop-in filter?

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Still breaking my 2019 PP1 car in at this point and enjoying the stock power for now but would like to swap out the stock filter. I was originally interested in the JLT CAI but there seems to be too many posts regarding it not being worth it on these newer Mustangs plus I am not ready for tuning at this time because I have other mods lined up.

Does the AEM dryflow drop-in panel filter require a retune? Should I not even bother at this time? I do like having a cleanable air filter and I prefer this specific filter because it does not require filter oil.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
nothing required.

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies.

Now I guess I gotta ask, is the AEM and aFe comparable, other than price? I was not aware of the aFe filter.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
No. I was able to buy the AEM for 15 bones less than AFE. Just put one in my 18 PP1 A10 today. But, I’m corn tuned. :).

Pull your hydrocarbon trap out while your switching them out.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Just so you are aware - some of these drop-in filters you buy may increase the airflow, but they also reduce the filtering efficiency which lets in more dirt and particulates you might not want in your engine.

Honestly on a stock 2019 I don't even see the reasoning to a drop-in filter. If anything just remove the carbon trap and call it a day. The stock intake flows pretty well. Any gains you would see are minimal or nonexistent.

A cold air intake though WILL increase your airflow a significant amount and the cone filters they come with flow much more air. But even then it's not worth anything unless you combine with a tune.

CAI/Tune/E85 or leave it alone. Even with a tune alone these newer models aren't showing big gains like the previous gen.

If a JLT CAI isn't worth it, a drop-in filter def isn't. If it were me I'd rather use my money on some Liqui Moly Mos2 or Cera Tec for added engine protection.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I was actually surprised to see the pleat depth deeper than stock paper filter. Tomorrow I will log it and post report on Condors thread. Fyi.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat

I installed the AFE dry filter at 3000miles, can't say if there was any real butt dyno difference.

It's going to be a nice weekend and tracks are going to open Sunday around here, I'll make a pass with the OE paper, AFE and no filter and see if there are any differences.

Jandino63

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I installed an AFE Pro Dry S Filter last week and the most notable difference is that I've gained around 2-4 mpg's on daily commuting. And that's with playing around at a few red lights :clap:
Sponsored