Advice OEM Strut tower brace torque

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Threadlock compound changes the friction so the torque values will probably be incorrect. Threadlock may not work with nylon, it may be made for metal/metal joints.
The only thing that keeps a bolted joint tight is bolt stretch and these bolts/studs are too short to do much of that. My opinion (and that of some websites) is that on our cars the strut brace doesn't do much other than look cool.

But that's enough for me! ;)
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Threadlock compound changes the friction so the torque values will probably be incorrect. Threadlock may not work with nylon, it may be made for metal/metal joints.
The only thing that keeps a bolted joint tight is bolt stretch and these bolts/studs are too short to do much of that. My opinion (and that of some websites) is that on our cars the strut brace doesn't do much other than look cool.

But that's enough for me! ;)
I had a ‘16 premium and added the PP with Ford Performance parts. When you have a chance, remove your brace and drive around town on normal streets and maybe up a driveway then tell me what you think. On a premium with the softer suspension things are looser all around, comfy and good handling….more GT. Once you add the brace, it feels tighter and sharper..then you start wanting to add other stuff….that’s how it goes.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I forgot to bolt mine down after a intake manifold swap. There was a lot of popping and banging going on. The towers move a lot.

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Well, finally my story does not have a happy ending. Once the piece is received, it turns out that a tab is bent, so the nut does not seat properly and there is a risk of breaking the bolt. It's time to claim but I'm pretty frustrated. If they return my money, I think I will not order another piece. I don't really want to continue with this that only brings aesthetics.

IMG_20220829_175825.jpg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
That is easy to fix. The top strut brace does stiffen the chassis.

Sponsored

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
That is easy to fix. The top strut brace does stiffen the chassis.
Just put the corner in a vice and bend it back into shape. Not a big deal, will not stress the metal.

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Just put the corner in a vice and bend it back into shape. Not a big deal, will not stress the metal.
Well, second part of the end of this story. I followed your advice and took the brace to a body shop. The could aligned the tab, but some paint chips appeared -unavoidable-. Anyway I applied a bit of varnish to prevent oxidation at those points.

Finally, I bought 4 fresh nuts, because they could be provided here earlier than I supossed, peace of mind, fresh nylon, no need of glue, applied a bit conservative torque, 39 lb-ft, about 4% less considering the factory error of the tool. Don´t think there could be any issue. I felt relaxed when I applied the torque and none stud was broken. I'm not even going to tighten the lug nuts after I move the car, it just stays that way.

Thank you very much for all your useful advices. Tower brace installed. Accessing to the oil dipstick is a bit PITA but it´s not impossible.

KKtoy8O.jpg

KncK3Vz.jpg

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
delete that sound tube, dipstick access will be much easier. I think LMR sells the kit for like $14 bucks.
Sponsored