JWarner32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hello, folks! First time poster.

I have a 2019 GT. I'm looking to get 1-7/8 inch Stainless Power catted headers paired with my 3 inch Borla Atak system. Need some advice and a few questions answered before I go ahead and do it....

1.) Most importantly, I was told with a tune and catted long tubes (by the installation place I'm looking at) that the car will pass emissions inspections. I live in North Carolina in a county that requires emissions inspections.
2.) Will the 3 inch aftermarket system fit on the 3 inch Atak system? I've seen some people say they either needed to cut, but others saying it fit fine.
3.) What's the best tuning device for a 2019 for headers and possibly a CAI?

Thanks everyone
-Jordan
Sponsored

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
how does NC do their emissions inspection? Is there a visual? You'll get a check engine light unless you do something to prevent it. That's how you pass the electronic reediness check. I think tuners are still doing this fix for people but I'm not sure as I did it on my own.

If there is a visual check it has to be a "has cats" type of inspection where they just check for the presence of cats and not specifically what cats they are.

Tuning device depends on who you want to tune it, what features you want, as well as what you long term plans are.

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
how does NC do their emissions inspection? Is there a visual? You'll get a check engine light unless you do something to prevent it. That's how you pass the electronic reediness check. I think tuners are still doing this fix for people but I'm not sure as I did it on my own.

If there is a visual check it has to be a "has cats" type of inspection where they just check for the presence of cats and not specifically what cats they are.

Tuning device depends on who you want to tune it, what features you want, as well as what you long term plans are.
Yes, NC has full visual inspections for some of the more populated counties. OP said he is in a county that does emissions, so I assume it's one of these. O2 cheaters will not fly. Cat just has to do its job and not trigger a CEL.

I have a 2019 GT. I'm looking to get 1-7/8 inch Stainless Power catted headers paired with my 3 inch Borla Atak system. Need some advice and a few questions answered before I go ahead and do it....

1.) Most importantly, I was told with a tune and catted long tubes (by the installation place I'm looking at) that the car will pass emissions inspections. I live in North Carolina in a county that requires emissions inspections.
2.) Will the 3 inch aftermarket system fit on the 3 inch Atak system? I've seen some people say they either needed to cut, but others saying it fit fine.

Thanks everyone
-Jordan
1) I live in NC in a county that has full emissions inspections...I have full longtube headers and I've been through this. Unsure exactly which county you're in(looks like Union?), but you say in a county that does emissions inspections.

Which catted headers are you looking at(nvm - i see your brand - those will most likely trigger a CEL)? Cuz the standard cats that usually come with headers are only 200 cell and will trigger a CEL in your car. You can't use O2 cheaters/extensions/defoulers (whatever you want to call them) and pass a visual inspection either.

Kooks green cats (300 cell / seem to be made by gesi) sometimes work from my knowledge...Gesi Gsport cats (400 cell) will work and are what I have. Yes, they are expensive (i got mine before prices skyrocketed) but they work and hold up to power.

2) Most systems are going to be a 3" downstepped to stock size at the mid pipe. You can always have the downstep cutout and full 3" welded - also what I have done.

3) For tuning, I use a BDX tuner. Simple to use. I don't think device really matters as long as the tuner you want to use supports it.

Last edited:

JGalarse14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
For question #2, you will need to purchase the performance connect version for it to easily bolt right on. Otherwise, you will have to do some modification. I have the exact setup with my Borla Atak.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yes, NC has full visual inspections for some of the more populated counties. OP said he is in a county that does emissions, so I assume it's one of these. O2 cheaters will not fly. Cat just has to do its job and not trigger a CEL.

1) I live in NC in a county that has full emissions inspections...I have full longtube headers and I've been through this. Unsure exactly which county you're in(looks like Union?), but you say in a county that does emissions inspections.

Which catted headers are you looking at(nvm - i see your brand - those will most likely trigger a CEL)? Cuz the standard cats that usually come with headers are only 200 cell and will trigger a CEL in your car. You can't use O2 cheaters/extensions/defoulers (whatever you want to call them) and pass a visual inspection either.

Kooks green cats (300 cell / seem to be made by gesi) sometimes work from my knowledge...Gesi Gsport cats (400 cell) will work and are what I have. Yes, they are expensive (i got mine before prices skyrocketed) but they work and hold up to power.

2) Most systems are going to be a 3" downstepped to stock size at the mid pipe. You can always have the downstep cutout and full 3" welded - also what I have done.

3) For tuning, I use a BDX tuner. Simple to use. I don't think device really matters as long as the tuner you want to use supports it.
Ah that's a shame, what's even more of a shame is idk if the greencats will work for OP. I have a 2019 with kooks greencats and they nearly instantly set the CEL. I tuned it myself so I can pass, but it might be hard for OP. They'll need a tuner that's willing to turn the codes off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JWarner32

JWarner32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Yes, I live in Union County. The guy that told me he’d install them and tune my car said the catted headers would pass inspection. He told me he’d tune it so the CEL would go off and would tune it to give my car to comfortably adapt to the headers without fouling my car.

I just want to get a tuning device that will allow the CEL to disappear. As for the inspections, I’m committed to getting headers and may just fine someone that’s willing to pass me lol. Idk. Also the stainless works headers come with 3 in aftermarket connect so I’m fairly sure that won’t be too much of an issue since they’re made for adapting to 3 inch catbacks.

OP
OP
JWarner32

JWarner32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ah that's a shame, what's even more of a shame is idk if the greencats will work for OP. I have a 2019 with kooks greencats and they nearly instantly set the CEL. I tuned it myself so I can pass, but it might be hard for OP. They'll need a tuner that's willing to turn the codes off.
what did you tune (and how) in order to pass? I’m a noob as I’ve never tuned—hence why I’m having a professional mustang guy—install and tune for me.

OP
OP
JWarner32

JWarner32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
For question #2, you will need to purchase the performance connect version for it to easily bolt right on. Otherwise, you will have to do some modification. I have the exact setup with my Borla Atak.
So you also have these exact headers with a Borla Atak? Is yours a 3 inch cat back system? So you recommend getting the performance connect instead of the 3 inch aftermarket connect?

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
Yes, I live in Union County. The guy that told me he’d install them and tune my car said the catted headers would pass inspection. He told me he’d tune it so the CEL would go off and would tune it to give my car to comfortably adapt to the headers without fouling my car.

I just want to get a tuning device that will allow the CEL to disappear. As for the inspections, I’m committed to getting headers and may just fine someone that’s willing to pass me lol. Idk. Also the stainless works headers come with 3 in aftermarket connect so I’m fairly sure that won’t be too much of an issue since they’re made for adapting to 3 inch catbacks.
What this tuner will do is disable the rear O2 sensors so they can't flip the CEL...but you can still clearly see those sensors are disabled. That may or may not work still for passing emissions in your county since they will hook it up to OBD2 as well...plus, it's a major fine from the EPA if caught...any reputable retail tuner stopped messing with those due to that. If you ever want a different tune, you're setting yourself up for future issues as well.

But you do you. This "tuner" sounds shady if they didn't explain any of this and I wouldn't trust them with my car.

And again, the device doesn't matter. It's the tune parameters...which your tuner also should have told you what they can tune on.

Last edited:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I'm looking to get 1-7/8 inch Stainless Power catted headers paired with my 3 inch Borla Atak system. Need some advice and a few questions answered before I go ahead and do it....
Honestly, stick with the OEM header/cat combo. Best thing is to reallocate the long tube funds and have the factory choke connect (2.25”) cut for the 3” cat back of your choice.

Sponsored

JGalarse14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
So you also have these exact headers with a Borla Atak? Is yours a 3 inch cat back system? So you recommend getting the performance connect instead of the 3 inch aftermarket connect?
Correct. I have a full 3" Borla Atak cat-back. Performance connect Stainless Power headers bolt right up with no modifications.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP

Thanks everyone
-Jordan
We run into this almost daily with our customers. We are in Cumberland county which requires full inspections. You will get a check engine light with catted headers, tuners shouldn’t be messing with any emissions codes in the software. You can grab some vibrant 19019 bungs. Those have worked the best for us for customers with higher flowing cats. We typically keep these on hand since we do so many of these kits.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP

If you get a CEL clearing won’t help for passing inspections. You will need a full drive cycle before inspection.

Give us a shout with any questions you have.
Sponsored