Sponsored

Actual mileage?

ikhm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 ecoboost
Hi, just received my 2.3 ecoboost from copart and there is a strange thing.
The mileage on dashboard is 18k miles. Carfax also shows last mileage reported as 18k miles at 06/08/2017, but today I visited local Ford dealer and during computer diagnostics 2 saved errors (not actual) were found showing saved milage ~78,000 miles (125,000km). How to figure out what mileage is actual?
Sponsored

Last edited:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Sold at auction then stolen? Some weird stuff. You can easily change the mileage on the cluster and or swap clusters. Though the car also tracks it internally as well. Either a part got swapped out that tracks the mileage or the cluster was rolled back/swapped.

OP
OP

ikhm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 ecoboost
Sold at auction then stolen? Some weird stuff. You can easily change the mileage on the cluster and or swap clusters. Though the car also tracks it internally as well. Either a part got swapped out that tracks the mileage or the cluster was rolled back/swapped.
Copart reported incorrect data to carfax, I bought it on 04/04/2018, before I bought it carfax showed service at dealer -> theft -> total loss. So I thought it came to copart cuz of theft (and It seems to be true, the car almost dont have body damage).

Interior is in good condition so I dont want to believe the mileage is 80k miles.
But the only problem is that I dont know how long these engines and gearboxes can run before significant problems appear. 20k and 80k mile engines are two different things.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
If it was totaled due to theft wouldn't it have had to have stuff stolen/missing from the car? The only thing that comes to mind is whoever "fixed" it or to just get it running they might have just put in a different PCM from a higher mileage car (idk if this can work but it is possible). How many miles were on the cluster when you took physical procession of the car. If you bought it straight from copart then I would expect the cluster mileage to be accurate.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious why you bought and imported a salvage certificate Mustang? Using it for a project build or was the cost of such a vehicle far less to get it from the US to your region due to the salvage history (ie: cheaper than buying new or used w/good title).

Sponsored

OP
OP

ikhm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 ecoboost
If it was totaled due to theft wouldn't it have had to have stuff stolen/missing from the car? The only thing that comes to mind is whoever "fixed" it or to just get it running they might have just put in a different PCM from a higher mileage car (idk if this can work but it is possible). How many miles were on the cluster when you took physical procession of the car. If you bought it straight from copart then I would expect the cluster mileage to be accurate.
I had the same idea about it. Think someone who stole it just replaced PCM but want to be sure, I'll try to find installed pcm part number and compare it with part number of pcm that should be installed on factory.

Just curious why you bought and imported a salvage certificate Mustang? Using it for a project build or was the cost of such a vehicle far less to get it from the US to your region due to the salvage history (ie: cheaper than buying new or used w/good title).
There is additional 10,000$ you have to pay to import it to my country, title doesnt matter. At first I tried to buy any with good title on manheim, but haven't won 2 lots and there were no good cars left. Decided to buy this one on copart cuz it had almost no damage and milage of 18,000 specified

Last edited:

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
It might be 78k miles..
Car might have been rolled back from 78k to 18k, eventually ended up on auction for reasons unknown and then sold to you.

I'm speculating here

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I had the same idea about it. Think someone who stole it just replaced PCM but want to be sure, I'll try to find installed pcm part number and compare it with part number of pcm that should be installed on factory.

There is additional 10,000$ you have to pay to import it to my country, title doesnt matter. At first I tried to buy any with good title on manheim, but haven't won 2 lots and there were no good cars left. Decided to buy this one on copart cuz it had almost no damage and milage of 18,000 specified
Ever find anything out?
Sponsored