Sponsored

Engine Tick (I know, another thread) and Mileage

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
Any folks out there with 50 to a 100,000 miles on a mustang with the BBQ tick? If so, how does the engine appear to be running?
Sponsored

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Lots of mustang do tick, someone did a teardown of the engine and everything was okai.
Most dealership will tell you coyote engine is noisy and that its *normal*

Like lund said, send it or selll it ;)

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
Ford dealer in '06, told me on my '05 , that the tick was normal for this veh.,
in its 2nd yr 5.4L , 3 valve single over head cam eng. production.
No..its not the same as a new s550. Not saying it is.

I went about my life. Past 06 questions of noise in valve train.
Then, eventually , @ bout 170k, it totally chit itself, using all Ford recommended maintenance procedures, lubricants, filters, ect.

Then, after the damage is done, and dealer wants $7kfor new long blk eng,
I start doing my research, only to find out , Not only are cam phasers eventually, ruined by micro debri in these screen filters, built onto cam phasers, but clogging then causes like 20° swings in cam timing, w/o reason, and in my case, it caused a valve to drop. Hole in piston.still ran on 7 cyl thou..yeah!!

So now I just go buy a new 19 Bullitt.
Decided to put my old hot rods on bk burner, and try a new late model "go fast ride", ....

I learned everything to stop my '05 incident,
if I only then, post damage,
had a time machine to go bk and do things differently.
Instead, I will use everything I learned from the past.....
Days, tons of hrs, TSBs, ect, of research and 1st hand accounts from others, of there opposite, & successful lengthy eng lives, of these 5.4s,
and the many failures 1st hand accounts, as well.
It ( 5.4L 3v) is THE MOST REBUILD/RECONDITIONED ENG ON MARKET TODAY, AND HAS BEEN FOR YRS NOW.

This is a ☆ # 1 on the charts ☆, you dont wanna be apart of.

Yet, a yr into ownership , I was told it was perfecctly normal, and no worrys.

Aka, SEND IT...

I believe , that they ( FOMOCO) believed, as it was only in its 2nd yr of production, it was ok.

Took a while for all the 10's of 1000s of horror storys too erupt. Tk yrs..

Mind you, likely only 1/2 of these forum storys made it to any internet sites.
I read about many, and was told by many the old way, in person thru there voice,..
but I never posted any of my own debacle,
till i joined here a few wks ago. Here is 2nd time.

Not everyone lives on these forums. So not everyone reports there issues.
Many of us wrk'd 80+ hrs a week for yrs.
What free time we had, was not on a smart cell ph, w/internet,
that was clearly not yet invented till 10+ yrs ago.. for common guy..

I only do it now ( forum cruise) that im semi retired, and hav some leisure time.
I would hav never posted anything on social media ( still dont) or on any forums, or did,
for decades. To busy actually
" working for a living, "..

so i could retire 1 day, and do my livelihood trade craft, as a hobby, vs a living only...

vs a means too feed myself w/ and pay the bank its tribute every month.

Someone will soon come along behind me and say..
"Why dont we just create another thread about this tick issue.?"

There being a sarcastic jackazz, obviously, cuz they are Internet FORUM HEROS,
(GODS PERHAPS??),

& rather than just allow you your voice, to ask a question, they rather put you, & anyone else "down" sarcastically, about it ..

Since thats clearly a more productive way to deal w/there being annoyed by someone posing a ?? .

Thats been posted before. Ok..so what..
Dont read the freakin thing!! Move on..

Like in real life.., your telling me nobody has ever repeated the same questions to 1 another or amongst there group of friends..
More tgan once,2x, 5x over the yrs??
Get real.. live in reality..
not fantasty forum land..

NEVER HAPPENS BUT ON FORUMS... repeated questions...
OK..SURE...

Prolly why on rare occasion, when we tried posting something, say yrs ago, on some site, unrelated to mustangs...

usually got the armchair keyboard Heros of the site, to jump up n bash u...,

Ive found, once agin, on these places, telling the new guys, or guys w/ a common question,...
sarcastically of coarse, to stop w/ the questions THEY DON'T WANNA HEAR ANYMORE,

yet they open the new posted thread, read it, and post sarcastically, how idiotic the post is cuz its been done before, & how we need to talk about this more..( sarcasm again on how we need a new tgread on subject.

Just pure jealousy Is what I see.

vs doing it like a REAL man, straight out..

Its the equivalent of
" go too the newbie section, dummy, and stay out of the real keyboard heros lives, as its our own personal forum fraterity frat house party."

I guess people who drive these cars are just too young to remember, the ole saying..

" if you dont have something nice too say, shut the F@$k up.. "
oh..wait..
Its ...
"dont say nothing at all"..
DONT SAY NOTHING AT ALL..
thats how polite people behave..
Not criticize a guy who clearly isnt as WOKE AS U ARE ON S550 TICKS.
SHEESH.. grow up people.

.. my version of "shut up" if u got nothin nice too say, is just a nod to there own sarcastic attempts, to make fools of someone, asking about a legit concering problem, that they clearly wanna know more on,
yet the forum Hero's dont wanna hear about,
so why should you be allowed to speak of it in a post..how dare you..??

How rude of you to speak of this noise in your engine.!!!!@!@!@!@!

I guess thats life, when hiding behind a keyboard.
People are not NEARLY AS RUDE AND IDIOTIC IN PERSON. CUZ on occasion, u might get ur azz whipped, in reality, being a smartazz.
Vs the la la land, of anonymity...

Btw, I gurantee if you tore down my ticking eng at 20k miles, it would have all looked perfect too.

Nobody ( aka, aftermarket vendors/suppliers) MAKES ANY MONEY if they scare you into baby'ing your car. Not buying the Latest
GO FAST PARTS... U GOTTA BUY UM, OR THEY GO UNDER.
U JUST GOTTA MODIFY YOUR CAR, MORE AND MORE, TO KEEP UP W/JONES.. NEIGHBORS.. FORUM COMPADRES...

This "send it or sell it" is just a way to shame and embarrass people into shutting the pcuk up and spending more $$ on there cars, by guilt,...

Vendors do what vendors do. Sell parts by convincing you its the smart play..
Offer more HP or better handling daily..

Cant successfully do that if they tell u ur chits likely gonna scatter prematurely, if you put 780hp to a stock block/ internals headed for a 100k..

Ive sold aftermarket parts for all the major players for 30+ yrs.

Went to 1st ever PRI SHOW, AND THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY SHOW.
& MANY IN BETWEEN.
been too it when in places like Cincinnati, Nashville, Indy obviously, and Orlando..

Just cause I dont behave/sell parts that way...
"the send or sell method"..
Doesn't mean I dont know why they say it.

Its not to sell LESS PARTS, components, ect...
They cant buy a new houseboat or build yet another NEW record breaking car w/twin hair dryers, using all there merch, without all those parts getting sold to everyone else, daily, hrly.

( 15 yrs ago, 1 of biggest msil order import sellers right diwn street from my shop, employed an AVERAGE OF 6 GUYS at any given time, posing as avud forum readers, posters, who were only there @$10 an hr, to tell guys what parts work nest for them, and where they bought um..

U really think only a mainly ricer website of speed parts were/are, smart enuff to employ this tactic?
MY buddy was there IT guy, and showed me all the jackazz's who were posting secretly, like nazi agents during the war on US soil..

When they hear something they dont wznt you to think about, out comes the sarcasm from the guy w/ 3500 posts and 3000 likes who clearly is a God on the site.
No... He us a full time , Paid Shill.. a con man,
Keyboard grifter, swaying you into product XYZ, SOLD BY SHOP ABC.
If your foolish enuff to think this doesnt go on every day by all the big mail order whores, you also dont believe strippers will go home w/you if you talk the language and spend the money.

Cuz they do.. just not w/every jackazz who asks um.. Since traveling medicine shows, has there always been the guys in crowd, in on the scam.
At auctions, guys who run up the bids, same on ebay...guys who hav bidders run up there parts...
Its everywhere...

As for send ut ir sell it.. this strategy includes roping in the guys who cant really afford an oil pan full of shrapnel @ 75k miles...
Cuz they got 1 car.. maybe 2 cars max..& wife likely drives #2.

I got bunch of titled/insuranced cars. Now..
But not till i was older an grayer..

Had 1 ride for yrs, and it had to last day in day out.
So I chose NOT TO "SEND IT", DAILY.
Now i can send several cars, in 1 day if I chose.
W/60lbs of boost, and well over 3000hp.
Thats "sending it".

Results of working 7 days a wk/16 hrs a day.
More Titanium in my back than my race car w carbon fiber brakes.
Not carbon metallic. Real carbon brakes.
Pads alone cost more than entire GT350 brake setup.

But I never in over 30 yrs tried to shame anyone into tearing up there stuff, so I could profit from it by more sales..Had vendors who tried to get me to de-value product online, just to make P7 sales goals per month, in order too stat on the Goid guy Pricening Levels. Total BS.

Told um to shove it and there products. Not whoring up market just to make your min monthly nut . .

Never had too shame guys to send it either.
Our waiting list to get in line in our facility was often over a 1+ yr deep..

So yeah, dealership told me my truck was fine w/ tick..
It was fine...all the way up till the day the valve ventilated the piston top, from what appeared to be the cam phasers, swinging the cam timing, irradically and incorrectly vs intended design.

Yeah, it took years to get there..clogged micro particles in oil, clogging up the filtration screens on phasers, But it did..eventually.

"Send it"... to the junk pile, perhaps.
I guess that is what they might really mean, by leaning on them. W/inherent issues unresolved :+)
Regards,

Last edited:

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
So what do you suggest to do mr.bullit ? Most dealership act innocent and think your crazy when you bring your car under 10k miles for valvetrain noise, its really minor and you have to listen for it

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So what do you suggest to do mr.bullit ? Most dealership act innocent and think your crazy when you bring your car under 10k miles for valvetrain noise, its really minor and you have to listen for it
Easy.

upload_2020-6-5_9-30-8.jpeg

Sponsored

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Ceratec is a waste of money lmao.

I did my first oil change myself using oem motorcraft and the fl500 filter, runs like a ninja. 0 noise at all so i don't understand what is all that talk about the tick coming when you flush your factory oil.

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Whoever spending 80$ for 2 bottle of ceratec each oil change got money to burn. Try another oil instead

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I did my first oil change myself using oem motorcraft and the fl500 filter, runs like a ninja. 0 noise at all so i don't understand what is all that talk about the tick coming when you flush your factory oil.
Different people, different cars, different situations. You’re lucky, so be grateful and move on. Others have issues and are trying to deal with them.

Whoever spending 80$ for 2 bottle of ceratec each oil change got money to burn. Try another oil instead
First off, Ceratec is only $20 a bottle and you Use one every 30k miles. Second, You’re adverse to spending $20 but its OK to dump $$$ to try other oils with no guarantee of success. Lastly, an opinion about the worth of a product from someone who has never used it is worthless. Thousands have used Liquid Moly products including many on here with great success.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TTown

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic

In my case the car started ticking at about 4 or 500 miles in. No "first flush" necessary.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

Some get the tick after an oil change, and some don't. If you would have gotten the ticking after your oil change, you'd probably be asking why too.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'd personally go up to M1 0/40 if my engine develops the dreaded 'tick', since I have no freaking idea yet what that Ceratec crap does to the oil. I'm not saying it doesn't work because apparently it does, but nobody knows what's actually doing to the oil. It's obviously thickening the oil, but how much? I'd like to see an oil analysis done on that, to see what cSt it has at operating temperature. I wouldn't be surprised if it's equivalent to 50 weight. Or at least 40. MUCH rather have straight oil than who knows what in there, hence M1 0/40, which is what Porsche (and many others) recommend year round. Besides, if Ford sees that creamy crap in there, they'd for sure try to void the engine warranty; it clearly says in the manual not to use any additives. My engine is relatively quiet right now at 300 miles, with the normal valve-train and injection noises, so hope with M1 0/30 stays that way. We'll find out soon enough. Ha ha.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'd personally go up to M1 0/40 if my engine develops the dreaded 'tick', since I have no freaking idea yet what that Ceratec crap does to the oil. I'm not saying it doesn't work because apparently it does, but nobody knows what's actually doing to the oil. It's obviously thickening the oil, but how much? I'd like to see an oil analysis done on that, to see what cSt it has at operating temperature. I wouldn't be surprised if it's equivalent to 50 weight. Or at least 40. MUCH rather have straight oil than who knows what in there, hence M1 0/40, which is what Porsche (and many others) recommend year round. Besides, if Ford sees that creamy crap in there, they'd for sure try to void the engine warranty; it clearly says in the manual not to use any additives. My engine is relatively quiet right now at 300 miles, with the normal valve-train and injection noises, so hope with M1 0/30 stays that way. We'll find out soon enough. Ha ha.
I highly doubt it's thickening the oil much ... probably couldn't' even measure the KV100 difference with an oil analysis. It's only 300 cc (1/3 qt) in 10 quarts. Some 5W-20 or 5W-30 with a bottle of Ceratec isn't going to be as thick as 0W-40. Ceratec works from reducing the friction between parts, not by thickening the oil.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Ceratec works from reducing the friction between parts
Well, isn't that exactly what oil does??? Ha ha. And it's not 1, but TWO bottles needed; it's 1 for every 5 quarts. Testimonials I read were with 2 bottles. And you could make molasses out of your oil with that amount if you really wanted to :D. If the engine makes more noise after an oil change, or quiets down, it's due to a viscosity change; no question about that. The only question is how much of a change was it. Same thing with Ceratec. They don't call it 'snake oil' for nothing. Ha ha.
Sponsored