Active Flowmaster Outlaws

Gav1n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gavin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Hello, first post. Still don't have my car, but like many of you I'm sure, I've started looking at exhausts, mods, and parts to buy. I've heard clips of Flowmaster Outlaws with H pipe resonator deletes on gen 3 coyotes, and love the deeper sound it has over some other options out there. I live in an apartment complex, go to work at either 9:45 at night, or 5:45 in the morning, so when I optioned my car I added the active exhaust so I'd have quiet mode (but track for fun).

Question is, anyone have experience with the active version of Flowmaster Outlaws and an H pipe? Does the quiet mode even do anything at that point? And anyone got sound clips?

I won't be moving for at least a 6 months, and even when I do it'll be into a suburban residential neighborhood, so even then keeping quiet mode to "keep the peace" is important to me. Ideally cold starts won't rattle windows and wake people up.

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Question. Why did you option to have active exhaust if you were going to replace your active exhaust? You can't just buy flowmasters and still retain the factory exhaust. And take this for what it is, but my car had Outlaws on it when i bought it and it was the worst drone going down the highway that i have ever experienced in my life. It made the ride down the hwy brutal everytime. Changing that out was the best thing i ever did with my car.

OP
OP

Gav1n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gavin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
https://www.americanmuscle.com/flowmaster-outlaw-axle-back-black-active-2018gt.html

Just because I sprung for active exhaust doesn't mean I don't also want a better tone and some more volume. These are outlaws with an active exhaust compatible valve, linked above. Many of the other active exhaust aftermarket options I find to be too raspy (Corsa comes to mind namely) not to mention far more expensive.

As far as drone, we talking about drown out with music, or not able to drown it out at all? My current car is a V6 Dodge, without a resonator, which can drone in the highway a bit, noticably loud at cruising, but music is still loud enough to cover it up, and conversations can be had.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The factory active exhaust is pretty good from the factory. A simple resonator delete with an X or H pipe sounds really good and doesn’t drone. Maybe start with that? You can always add active axel backs later. As for the Flowmasters, I’ve not heard their active version but the non-active version drone is terrible and is not easily drowned out with music. I would assume the active is similar (maybe quiet mode tones the drone down a bit)

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Didn't realize they had newer active compatible versions, but if they are anything like the normal Outlaws the drone will grind your teeth bad. Honestly sounds like driving down the road with two failing wheel bearings. It was that bad. I second the notion of trying a H/X pipe with the stock active mufflers. It sounds really good

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Hello, first post. Still don't have my car, but like many of you I'm sure, I've started looking at exhausts, mods, and parts to buy. I've heard clips of Flowmaster Outlaws with H pipe resonator deletes on gen 3 coyotes, and love the deeper sound it has over some other options out there. I live in an apartment complex, go to work at either 9:45 at night, or 5:45 in the morning, so when I optioned my car I added the active exhaust so I'd have quiet mode (but track for fun).

Question is, anyone have experience with the active version of Flowmaster Outlaws and an H pipe? Does the quiet mode even do anything at that point? And anyone got sound clips?

I won't be moving for at least a 6 months, and even when I do it'll be into a suburban residential neighborhood, so even then keeping quiet mode to "keep the peace" is important to me. Ideally cold starts won't rattle windows and wake people up.

Thanks for any input!
Some guys go with just the resonator delete with the stock active. An H will give you that deep old school tone. Or we could do a full active catback, Borla will have a deeper tone even with their X.

Feel free to DM me or call with any questions!
Terry "Beefcake" Reeves
- 855-827-7223 -
www.beefcakeracing.com
#beefcakeracing #teambeefcake

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
There is a reason the Flowmasters, especially the Outlaws, are known as drone masters. One of the worst drone setups out there (MF Comp up there too, anything that tries to be too deep and bassy on these cars are prone to drone). As in ears ringing, headache inducing frequency etc. Definitely many better options out there setup to combat drone instead of amplify it.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500

Thanks for any input!
The quiet mode on these cars really does help. I have a catless setup and the H pipe on mine and in quiet mode, its still very manageable. I will say this, as someone who leaves early in the morning, there is no true way to start the car in quiet mode fully. What will happen is, you can hit the start button without starting the car up and swap it to quiet mode and then start it, but it will still be fairly loud for a few seconds. After that the quiet mode kicks in.

There is also a timed quiet mode on them where you can set the time for it to start in quiet mode but I have not tested that yet. That may fix the problem I've been seeing if someone else wants to chime in on that one.

In regards to that combination, I think its a great start to opening up the car and the H pipe is a killer option to use. If you have any questions on either items, feel free to shoot me a message anytime as I am here to help. Have a great weekend! Lethalperformance.com

OP
OP

Gav1n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gavin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Some guys go with just the resonator delete with the stock active. An H will give you that deep old school tone. Or we could do a full active catback, Borla will have a deeper tone even with their X.

Feel free to DM me or call with any questions!
Terry "Beefcake" Reeves
- 855-827-7223 -
www.beefcakeracing.com
#beefcakeracing #teambeefcake
After quite a few more hours of searching YouTube for sound clips, found Borla S type Axlebacks paired to an H pipe resonator delete. Sounds pretty much exactly what I was looking for, and from testemonials, without drone.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
After quite a few more hours of searching YouTube for sound clips, found Borla S type Axlebacks paired to an H pipe resonator delete. Sounds pretty much exactly what I was looking for, and from testemonials, without drone.
well... the borla catbacks come with an hpipe, so if you don't have a resonator delete already, i'd do the axle back, if you do, then the axleback, let me know

Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
back in the day you'd get exhaust to free up some power and make it sound a little nicer.

those days are gone. you won't get more power and the stock exhaust sounds really nice.
so unless you just have a specific sound you're looking for its kind of a roll of the dice.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I just did the Borla S type with active. I got the full cat back which has an Xpipe and I couldn't be happier. In quiet mode it is tolerable and opens up considerably when in normal mode or higher. And no drone whatsoever. I am a huge fan of Borla obviously, their TN manufacturing facility is only a couple of counties over from me here in East TN so I like supporting a local business. And the sound is truly amazing, I had a Borla Touring on my Gen 3 Coyote F150 and it was nice as well..

Video clip is of my first cold start after install (started in normal mode, valves partially open)

A1437D5D-1FFE-463F-9ED3-50A217A8D863.jpeg

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Get the car and drive it a while. You may find the stock active exhaust is better than you think. That was my conclusion. I kept the factory active system.

Flowmasters are low priced but not the best choice IMO.

Corsa make a a nice active exhaust option.

OP
OP

Gav1n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gavin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Get the car and drive it a while. You may find the stock active exhaust is better than you think. That was my conclusion. I kept the factory active system.

Flowmasters are low priced but not the best choice IMO.

Corsa make a a nice active exhaust option.
Not a fan of how the Corsa sounds on any video I've seen. It's loud, no doubt a quality product, but very raspy to my ear. That's why I was asking about Flowmaster, now Borla.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Not a fan of how the Corsa sounds on any video I've seen. It's loud, no doubt a quality product, but very raspy to my ear. That's why I was asking about Flowmaster, now Borla.
It's not just the exhaust pipes. The Coyote is a raspy 4 valve motor. It won't sound like the old 3 valve or 2 valve motors.

As mentioned above, adding an H pipe will give a less raspy sound. An X pipe more so. Both making the system louder.

I didn't find any aftermarket options I felt were worth the trouble and expense.

I do like the Borla Crossfire resonator delete. It's known for giving a bit deeper sound without drone.
Sponsored

Last edited: