Sponsored

Active Exhaust sounds like crap.

maniak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang v6, 1978 Ford Quadravan 4x4, 1992 Ford Explorer, 2000 Civic HX, 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Think someone needs to hang a go pro under there to observe. Not convinced that the active valves are doing all this on the fly adjusting.
Active valve, to me says quiet, normal, sport, track.

Start, set sport+ and track exhaust mode. When the rpm settles down, the tone comes down, as it should.

Go back check cluster for track, verified. Backing, shove the clutch in pop the peddle it talks. I would guess if this on the fly adjustment is constantly happening. The valve would really need to be fast acting to compensate.

Also before moving the car physically checked, rpms @ idle. The butterfly position and observed full open.

Calibration, if there is that, it would only be as the throttle body is, home position. And most likely automatic @ power on every time.

Staying tuned thread is interesting.

Pep
Here's a video (not mine) where they put the active exhaust valve in the car so they could show how it moved while driving.

~Mark
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Great video. :thumbsup:
The Quiet, Normal and Track modes make perfect sense. However, the valves' behaviour in Sport seems strange and inconsistent. What gives?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Great video. :thumbsup:
The Quiet, Normal and Track modes make perfect sense. However, the valves' behaviour in Sport seems strange and inconsistent. What gives?
Yeah noticed the same more back pressure in mid rage Hmmm. Think that may have more to do with the interior sound level at cursing. Glad to see the track setting loud and hi flow

Good video, there maniak

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You should be able to go into the exhaust modes straight from the steering wheel button.
That's exactly what I did. In normal driving mode, went to the pony menu, activated 'track exhaust', and MR turned immediately to sport mode (there are only normal and sport modes for MR). Don't think track mode was activated, but MR sport sure was, which is a deal-breaker for me except when in the twisties. So apparently you cannot choose track exhaust with normal MR mode. Will give it a try with MyMode, out of curiosity, and post results. But would put it back to my current setting after that, since I like sport+ exhaust mode better, except maybe when canyon carving. Track sounds raspy to me, but reverberates in the mountains nicely :D.

OP
OP
nmarz77

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
ummm how do you re-calibrate the solenoids? I’d love to know. I kept bending the corsa exhaust valve, and after a while it would be out of range and not work, after a warranty I figured out what was happening. The plate was bending. ( no Aukt of Corsa, the 2 step pops on shifts at 3500, when it does and it’s not on track I’m assuming it’s too much pressure and causing the bends) I took the valves to a local shop and they tig welded a brace across the valve, so far so good, but they have always rattled some I was thinking of trying your idea and stretching the spring a little.
Yes you can recalibrate them. It will take about 20 minutes of your life away from you so you need to make sure you do it exactly correct or it won't work.

Step 1: Get in the car and make sure the doors are closed and unlocked. You cannot open the doors, lock the doors or touch the brake pedal during any part of this procedure or it will not work.

Step 2: Start the engine and then shut the engine off. Again do not open any doors, windows, do not lock anything or touch the brake pedal. Now you will want to turn the accessories on but NOT start the car. So hit the start button without pressing the brake! Let everything power up. Once powered up hit the start button again to turn everything off. You will now wait 10 minutes until the car goes to sleep on its own. You will know it has gone to sleep because the radio will power down.

Step 3: After the car is in sleep mode you will once again press the start button WITHOUT hitting the brake pedal. All we want to do is power the accessories NOT start the car. When you press the start button within 20 seconds you should hear the exhaust actuators click. That is the actuators opening and closing fully to calibrate. If you do not hear them click then you have done the procedure wrong and need to start over. After you hear them click wait another 20 seconds and again hit the Start button to turn everything off.

Step 4: Wait 10 minutes until the car goes to sleep again. Once again you will know it has gone into sleep mode because your radio will turn off.

Step 5: After it has gone into sleep mode a second time you can now start the engine. The programming should be complete and any error messages while trying to change exhaust modes will be gone.

Sponsored

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
Yes you can recalibrate them. It will take about 20 minutes of your life away from you so you need to make sure you do it exactly correct or it won't work.

Step 1: Get in the car and make sure the doors are closed and unlocked. You cannot open the doors, lock the doors or touch the brake pedal during any part of this procedure or it will not work.

Step 2: Start the engine and then shut the engine off. Again do not open any doors, windows, do not lock anything or touch the brake pedal. Now you will want to turn the accessories on but NOT start the car. So hit the start button without pressing the brake! Let everything power up. Once powered up hit the start button again to turn everything off. You will now wait 10 minutes until the car goes to sleep on its own. You will know it has gone to sleep because the radio will power down.

Step 3: After the car is in sleep mode you will once again press the start button WITHOUT hitting the brake pedal. All we want to do is power the accessories NOT start the car. When you press the start button within 20 seconds you should hear the exhaust actuators click. That is the actuators opening and closing fully to calibrate. If you do not hear them click then you have done the procedure wrong and need to start over. After you hear them click wait another 20 seconds and again hit the Start button to turn everything off.

Step 4: Wait 10 minutes until the car goes to sleep again. Once again you will know it has gone into sleep mode because your radio will turn off.

Step 5: After it has gone into sleep mode a second time you can now start the engine. The programming should be complete and any error messages while trying to change exhaust modes will be gone.
in step 1 you say dont touch the brake pedal, but in step 2 you say to start the engine..

just to clarify, in step 2, you are pressing the brake so you can start the engine right?

wow, what a... unique... process. wonder who came up with this one..

OP
OP
nmarz77

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
in step 1 you say dont touch the brake pedal, but in step 2 you say to start the engine..

just to clarify, in step 2, you are pressing the brake so you can start the engine right?

wow, what a... unique... process. wonder who came up with this one..
My bad...yes you need to press the brake pedal to start the engine but do not press it again after that point until the end.

dubopat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

This worked for me. So glad i found this. Thanks

Ravax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Xavier
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Euro / 2017 Ecoboost Adam tuned

Sorry for necromancing an old thread.. but im having this issue on my 19' manual GT.. I followed the above steps to the letter.. but never hear the actuators clicking to calibrate! Am i missing something?

I re-installed the OEM actuators on the active magnaflow valves, and they only go to normal or sport.. when i try quiet mode they click.. then click right back to 'normal' and pop the CEL, and the 'Exhaust mode selection not available' message..

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
It sounds kind of like a raspy exhaust note. Nobody else hears this? It is especially more prominent when the back seats are down.
I hear it in my AE in normal mode, if I have my windows down, which is most of the time.

In sport it isn't as bad, but the wisping (yes, it does sound like a leK) is still there.

In track mode either the sound is gone or is over-powered by the sound of the exhaust to be heard anymore.

I thought it was only my car until I read this post.

I also have the 2000rpm rattle, which I also had on my 2017 EB, but not on my 2015 EB (but it seems like almost everyone has the 2k rattle, almost like if a heat shield is loose).

Sponsored

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
I hear it in my AE in normal mode, if I have my windows down, which is most of the time.

In sport it isn't as bad, but the wisping (yes, it does sound like a leK) is still there.

In track mode either the sound is gone or is over-powered by the sound of the exhaust to be heard anymore.

I thought it was only my car until I read this post.

I also have the 2000rpm rattle, which I also had on my 2017 EB, but not on my 2015 EB (but it seems like almost everyone has the 2k rattle, almost like if a heat shield is loose).
That sounds exactly like my '19 Bullitt. (loose heat shield or something)

Tecronix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Sorry for necromancing an old thread.. but im having this issue on my 19' manual GT.. I followed the above steps to the letter.. but never hear the actuators clicking to calibrate! Am i missing something?

I re-installed the OEM actuators on the active magnaflow valves, and they only go to normal or sport.. when i try quiet mode they click.. then click right back to 'normal' and pop the CEL, and the 'Exhaust mode selection not available' message..
did you get a resolution to this? I just added a new magnaflow catback and it won’t stay in quiet mode. I’ve tried reinstalling based on other videos explaining the spring, and having to bolt it together under tension, tried the ”recalibration” mentioned above. No avail.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
Are you sure you don't have a EB?

No offense to the EB guys, but an EB sounds raspy like most 4 bangers. The active exhaust on the EB sounds darn good though for a 4 banger btw.
the hpp cars sound cool. you can even hear the turbo a little.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
did you get a resolution to this? I just added a new magnaflow catback and it won’t stay in quiet mode. I’ve tried reinstalling based on other videos explaining the spring, and having to bolt it together under tension, tried the ”recalibration” mentioned above. No avail.

Does it ever go to quiet mode,
I think the quiet mode was only for cold starts. And did not last long..

I yanked the AE long ago, got sick of having to keep selecting loud as hell all the time ......... LMAO
Sponsored