Active Exhaust sounds like crap.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
The only time I ever thought “raspy” with my active exhaust was when the LTH went on, it was perfect with just the X pipe, I loved the H pipe also. But when I installed my LTH it got embarrassingly raspy, even in quiet mode. I hated the tips of the Orem active exhaust so I bought a Magnaflow and now it’s drone city, then I bought their resonated Xpipe. It’s tolerable (drone wise on the highway) but not the sound Im Looking for. I look for just 4” rolled/double walled or 4.5l single wall tips to have installed on the pen mufflers and I’ll put them back on.

The magnaflow has the valves installed, but it’s 2 straight through channels, so even when one is close it’s still has another straight through so doesn’t do much.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I have the Active Exhaust mufflers on my 2016 GT, with no actuators installed, and the valves fully open, stock resonator. I closed up the valves manually so that I could start the car without waking my wife before an early flight a couple months ago, and I didn't like the sound with them closed. The valve definitely didn't fully close the pathway, so exhaust was slipping by. I wouldn't say it was a whistling sound, but like an audible pfffffffffffff sound. No leaks upstream of the mufflers.

I'm going to spend some time to finally hook up the actuators, and swap the resonator for an H-pipe...when I have some time...

JR

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
It sounds kind of like a raspy exhaust note. Nobody else hears this? It is especially more prominent when the back seats are down.
OP, I hear the same thing in normal and sport mode exhaust setting as well. As you mentioned, its more noticeable when the seats are down. It sounds a bit raspy and as if something is fluttering. In track mode, it sounds clean (i drive in this exhaust mode 99% of the time).

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
The problem is once you experience the sound of track mode nothing else sounds as good. :sunglasses:

OP
OP
nmarz77

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
OP, I hear the same thing in normal and sport mode exhaust setting as well. As you mentioned, its more noticeable when the seats are down. It sounds a bit raspy and as if something is fluttering. In track mode, it sounds clean (i drive in this exhaust mode 99% of the time).
Thanks for replying. I knew I couldn't be the only one hearing it. I love track mode though so I keep it there most of the time. Quiet mode is nice as well early in the morning and there is no fluttering in quiet mode either.

Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Thanks for replying. I knew I couldn't be the only one hearing it. I love track mode though so I keep it there most of the time. Quiet mode is nice as well early in the morning and there is no fluttering in quiet mode either.
Yup, I have quiet mode for morning starts and track mode for regular driving. When I am going on long trips and have heard enough of the rumble, I use quiet mode and it is hard to tell you are driving a v8.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Fluttering sounds like what I am hearing, it may be a beat between the two sides causing an irregular sound. Quiet and Track do not do this, full throttle in any mode does not seem to do it either (since the valves open up ?).

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a question for any one who's owned a 2015-2017 GT with a Corsa Sport catback and who now currently owns a 2018 or 2019 with the active exhaust. Is the active exhaust in "Track" mode as loud, louder, or quieter than a 2015-2017 with a Corsa Sport catback? Thanks.

Sponsored

krello

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Try an h or x pipe. Mine sounds pretty healthy in normal mode.
I just added an X pipe. It definitely changes the tone for the better.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
If the active exhaust sounds good in "Quiet" and in "Track"(and it does) then there is probably nothing wrong with the upstream system, including the factory H pipe. The fluttering or whatever we are hearing is more likely some effect done at the active valve. The valve has a spring that connects the motor to the flapper, maybe the spring is allowing the flapper to move when it shouldn't.

Afaik the spring is there to protect the motor/geartrain in case the flapper locks up but maybe the spring can be increased/decreased in strength to work better.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Makes a difference in every mode which won't help since Track Mode will still be the best sounding.
Problem with track mode (combined with an H pipe) is you can hear it for miles when revving over 5K. I don't want to be sonically bombing the whole town.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Is this fluttering everyone is talking about that bit of vibration you hear coming from the back with some moderate throttle? I have been thinking it was an exhaust rattle.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I have a question for any one who's owned a 2015-2017 GT with a Corsa Sport catback and who now currently owns a 2018 or 2019 with the active exhaust. Is the active exhaust in "Track" mode as loud, louder, or quieter than a 2015-2017 with a Corsa Sport catback? Thanks.
I had a 2016 with the Corsa Xtreme, and I've been in several 15-17s with the Sport catback. I can tell you my 2019 with the Corsa X pipe and stock active mufflers is closer in volume in track mode to my old Xtreme system than it is to the Sport. It is definitely healthy sounding, I love it. Even better that I can flick it into quiet mode when needed.
Sponsored