Sponsored

Active Exhaust sounds like crap.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Surely just moving the valves from quiet to track with the key on will achieve the same thing ??
I honestly don’t know, but my gut tells me that’s not guaranteed to work otherwise why would Ford have a procedure (that would take up more of the techs time) ?

I just found a way around the Ford procedure, that achieves the same goal, but on my time and not the techs.

They (my Ford tech) were already doing me a favour and I A) didn’t want to cause them more work, and B) didn’t want to have to piss around doing the Ford procedure, in my time, once the car was back home :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
I wrote this on fitting the actuators on another thread, it may help here :like:

Would it be possible / easy to remove and reinstall the actuators and the springs with the exhaust still on the car ?.
Their is enough work space but you won’t be able to look down on the spring to get it seated ??

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Would it be possible / easy to remove and reinstall the actuators and the springs with the exhaust still on the car ?.
Their is enough work space but you won’t be able to look down on the spring to get it seated ??
As I have done it off the car and have a feel for when the spring is properly seated I think it's probably possible, but doing it for the first time, on your back, with limited access might prove a bit tricky to know if you've got it right.

In all honesty, if it was on the car and it was on my time, I would just follow the Ford procedure (remember that at the time, I had a reason NOT to do the official procedure) :like:

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
As I have done it off the car and have a feel for when the spring is properly seated I think it's probably possible, but doing it for the first time, on your back, with limited access might prove a bit tricky to know if you've got it right.

In all honesty, if it was on the car and it was on my time, I would just follow the Ford procedure (remember that at the time, I had a reason NOT to do the official procedure) :like:

Good point
I’ve tried the ford procedure a few times now but it never seems to do anything.
I never get the clicking noise and assumed it hadn’t worked.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I have found that in normal mode, when the car is cold, the engine is in a different mode and the exhaust has more pops and gurgles between shifts (6MT). Not as much when in track exhaust. I think the reduced backpressure when the engine is cold is why. As for the sound, I have an H-pipe and with the active exhaust is sounds great! Quiet startup is GREATLY appreciated for my 5am workdays, so I love the active exhaust feature.

Also, on those early morning commutes, I have found that driving in sport mode helps get the attention of deer, who want no part of it. I believe that the cars exhaust has saved me from a few accidents...Still need to watch for armadillos and possums though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
I have found that in normal mode, when the car is cold, the engine is in a different mode and the exhaust has more pops and gurgles between shifts (6MT). Not as much when in track exhaust. I think the reduced backpressure when the engine is cold is why. As for the sound, I have an H-pipe and with the active exhaust is sounds great! Quiet startup is GREATLY appreciated for my 5am workdays, so I love the active exhaust feature.

Also, on those early morning commutes, I have found that driving in sport mode helps get the attention of deer, who want no part of it. I believe that the cars exhaust has saved me from a few accidents...Still need to watch for armadillos and possums though.
I think that’s got more to do with cold engine strategy ?.
running rich when cold and some excess fuel gets in the exhaust causing the pops?.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I think that’s got more to do with cold engine strategy ?.
running rich when cold and some excess fuel gets in the exhaust causing the pops?.
That's what I think also...I've just noticed that when cold, running in normal mode, I hear more pops vs. running in sport/track mode. However, the rich program makes everything a bit louder.

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
That's what I think also...I've just noticed that when cold, running in normal mode, I hear more pops vs. running in sport/track mode. However, the rich program makes everything a bit louder.
Yes the engine almost sounds rough when cold and then smooths out
Sponsored