Sponsored

Active exhaust problems FIXED

delhi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
So about two months ago I was driving home fairly long distance (about 100 miles) and mid way my active exhast system stopped working. I got an 'inactive' message and the car would not even let me select different drive modes...

I got home and the problem persisted l, each time I started the car I got a osm saying active exhaust unavailable.

So went to dealer who told me initially that the system needed an update... So sent it in and waited in my car being fixed. Was told one day in garage.

When I went to collect car dealership told me it was not system update and they needed to check full car over to identify the problem. After one week they called me and told me the problem was due to the wire loom attached to exhast.

Apparently the loom is to short by design and is also not protected well so there is a high risk at increased temp of bare wires touching each other and shorting out. Which appeared to be the case with mine. The dealer said its becoming more of a known problem and he has ordered all of his stock pony's to have the new loom installed.

Mine is now installed and is working normal again. Looking at the loom I can see they are well covered now with aluminum type casings for heat protection. I can take a picture is anyone wants to see this.

Just incase anyone else has these issues and still has no solution. It looks like many people suffer from active exhaust problems (fuses blowing etc) and I'm willing to bet this is root cause.
Sponsored

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback

Lightning Struck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue PP2
Most of the time it's from the actuator harnesses rubbing on the body seam back there. This is especially true on people that have deleted the resonators, and not trimmed enough of the factory exhaust to recess the tips far enough forward.

OP
OP

delhi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
So here is picture of wires now 'covered' you can see the aluminum wrap around them. Above exhaust.

This is a stock... No mods. Work completed by Ford garage under warranty.
DSC_0005.JPG

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that's a common problem, attributed to length of the harness..

My fix for similar problem, in track mode shut the car down.

Pulled both plugs, tie warped them up out of the way.

I always drive with the active exhaust in track mode. Why waste my time reseting the stupid things every time I get in to drive?

Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Yeah that's a common problem, attributed to length of the harness..

My fix for similar problem, in track mode shut the car down.

Pulled both plugs, tie warped them up out of the way.

I always drive with the active exhaust in track mode. Why waste my time reseting the stupid things every time I get in to drive?
Doesn't that throw codes?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't that throw codes?
Yes one
Only at start up, when changed to sport/track mode. It flashes and goes away.

Repeats at the next startup, never while driving .
Sponsored