Sponsored

AC blower motor surge??

Pootie_Stang

Wah Dah Ta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP Base
My ac stopped working in mine and my radiator fans stayed on constantly; dealer said there was a Freon leak and it all drained out. they fixed the link and the a/c is now cold but now it sounds like I have a supercharger when driving with the a/c on; glad to see im not the only one with the whine
Sponsored

Joshg120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
+1 for having the noise. I have a hissing noise from the ac when it's turning on, it ramps in and out every 30 or 40 seconds it seems. Kind of annoying.. I can live with it but it seems if you fix one issue then it just brings another one to light haha

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
When you guys say your ac is "surging," do you mean like when the ac compressor kicks on and off every 10 seconds or so on a hot day? Or am I not understanding the issue

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
When you guys say your ac is "surging," do you mean like when the ac compressor kicks on and off every 10 seconds or so on a hot day? Or am I not understanding the issue
When the interior cabin AC blower speed is not set on high but set on lower speeds, you can heard the interior fan speed up & slow down. I noticed my 2016 Mustang GT does this as well.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
When the interior cabin AC blower speed is not set on high but set on lower speeds, you can heard the interior fan speed up & slow down. I noticed my 2016 Mustang GT does this as well.
Now that you mention it mine is apparently doing the same thing.

Musclecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Warranty will be running out in 6 months. Trying to get stuff taken care of now. I've had this problem for quite awhile. I can even watch the lights by the knob go up and down as the fan increases and decreases speed on its own. This is a base model without auto temp control.

So did those who had the problem get it resolved with resistor replacement or did it require blower motor replacement as well?

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
My 1 year old 2018 GT does this too. I wonder if this is a warning of something about to go out :/

Musclecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
That's why I'm hoping someone who had this going on got it taken care of and can let us know the fix. I'ved had the car since new and it hasn't led to a part failure yet. Seems to be most present at mid to low fan speeds.

pony1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yes. Has anyone had this resolved?
Mine only started doing this, along with intermittent gurgling/grinding noises from behind dashboard, after the compressor and evaporator were replaced. Dealer thought it a problem until Ford got involved. Ford said it was a characteristic and they all do it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Musclecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Yes. Has anyone had this resolved?
Mine only started doing this, along with intermittent gurgling/grinding noises from behind dashboard, after the compressor and evaporator were replaced. Dealer thought it a problem until Ford got involved. Ford said it was a characteristic and they all do it.
Did Ford say they all gurgle or they all have erratic fan speeds?

pony1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Did Ford say they all gurgle or they all have erratic fan speeds?
That they all have erratic fan speed. Which is simply not true because mine didnā€™t have this. I also havenā€™t yet found this ā€˜characteristicā€™ personally in any other car ... only some on this forum. Still not resolved yet.

Musclecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
That they all have erratic fan speed. Which is simply not true because mine didnā€™t have this. I also havenā€™t yet found this ā€˜characteristicā€™ personally in any other car ... only some on this forum. Still not resolved yet.
I haven't had a problem yet with the evaporator coil or compressor. Starting to wonder if this is related. I played with the temp knob and could hear the fan change speeds as the dial was moved from just off the middle setting. Maybe the blend door causing blockage? This is all with the a/c off.

How long ago did they replace the evap and compressor and what were the symptoms? I wonder if the noises you are now hearing are coming from the blower motor failing?

pony1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I haven't had a problem yet with the evaporator coil or compressor. Starting to wonder if this is related. I played with the temp knob and could hear the fan change speeds as the dial was moved from just off the middle setting. Maybe the blend door causing blockage? This is all with the a/c off.

How long ago did they replace the evap and compressor and what were the symptoms? I wonder if the noises you are now hearing are coming from the blower motor failing?
The evap and compressor were replaced late last year. Ever since I've had this erratic fan speed that surges every 12 secs. Sometimes gurgling noises come from behind dash at same time, in same rythym.

Ford says all normal. "They all do it". This is rubbish as I have personally experienced other Mustangs that don't do it. Mine was perfectly fine up until whole system failed (which lead to new evap and compressor).

Haven't had the blower motor replaced. They probably just don't want to have to pull the whole car apart again to do this. Mind you, while I want the problem fixed, I would prefer my car not having to be re-built every time I go in for service, lol!!!

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
I've noticed the erratic fan speed only happens during the summer. The gurgling noise is always there when the AC is on. (I'm in Houston; I use the AC year round.) Maybe sitting outside in the heat affects the controller?

I have a replacement fan speed controller; I'll get around to installing it sometime in the next few weeks.
Sponsored