Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
That’s going to be bumper cover, safety bar, radiator, composite radiator mount and perhaps the coolers as well. Then mounting bits and such, and hood of course which is aluminum. I’m estimating 16k in parts, 13k labor. I’ll say 30k.
Sponsored

OP
OP

feeny1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'21 Canyon Denali LB, ‘19 ATS-V
My seat of the pants guess was 25-35. Body shop guy guessed 30-35 without taking anything apart. I couldn’t do anything but laugh at the situation once the tow truck pulled the car out of the neighbors yard.

GT350HE29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350HE, 1966 Mustang Coupe, 1966 Corvette Sting Ray, 2014 F250
This brings back a memory. Had a 1985 Ford Ranger PU. Been married for a few months, it was a cold winter morning, with heavy frost on our windshields. I started my Ranger let it begin to warmup, turned to scrape my wife’s windshield and thought man my truck idled down quick, glanced and noticed the truck was leaving the yard. We were living in a duplex that had good hill going down to the road. Back then I was pretty stout and could do a lot of crazy things, but grabbing the truck by the tailgate to stop it was not going to happen. All I could do is chase it down the hill until it slowed enough to catch up to jump in and bring it to a stop.
No damage to anything but my pride. I still get pumped thinking about that one.
If you can’t admit you’ve had stuff like this happen you may not have lived enough yet.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Saw my father chase down a runaway unoccupied car that was headed to a very busy street. Mayhem would have ensued if it blew into that busy street which had a flow of over 50mph. He caught the car, jumped in and stopped it before a disaster happened. I mean with about fifty feet to spare. He put himself in harms way to stop a disaster.
He was in his 60’s at the time.

Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
@460Fred, you come from good stock, my friend!

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
This has happened to a lot of us , I rolled into a friends Subaru WRX in a similar situation to yours but it wasn’t a very steep road and there was no damage.
I feel your pain. At least you are insured.
I was just about to say... This is 100% the kind of mistake I would make in all my ADD glory.

I absolutely feel the pain in these pictures. I'm sorry, feeny.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
If you can’t admit you’ve had stuff like this happen you may not have lived enough yet.
lol, touché sir…my story starts with me driving over myself (yes you read that correctly) and ends with me watching my 1976 lifted F350 on 40x15 inch Ground Hawgs plow into the side of my landlords shop.

had just moved from Divide, Co (almost 10k feet elevation) to Seagoville, Tx (basically sea level) and was adjusting the carb, with it running and me standing on the winch bumper.

make an adjustment and rev it hard to clear out the cobwebs…unbeknownst to me, the 396 crankshaft (for my 69 SS Camaro) that was leaning on too much stuff on the front seat started rocking back and forth with every hi rpm rev.

using your imagination…you can see the crankshaft eventually made the jump onto the floor, but slapped the shifter into granny low on its way down, and then landed square on the gas pedal.

so I jump off, but my foot caught the bumper and I fell right in front of the huge (but very low pressure) off road tires. she drives over me and I hobble after her, yelling for anyone in the shop to get the F out.

the truck was fine, missed his boat by inches…so it cost me a couple hundred bucks in sheet metal, and about 40 cases of beer but we still laugh our fool heads off every time that story comes up.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Saw my father chase down a runaway unoccupied car that was headed to a very busy street. Mayhem would have ensued if it blew into that busy street which had a flow of over 50mph. He caught the car, jumped in and stopped it before a disaster happened. I mean with about fifty feet to spare. He put himself in harms way to stop a disaster.
He was in his 60’s at the time.
He had better skills and luck than a friend of mine on the Cadillac forum:

Me and a couple of friends went out earlier tonight. When we got back to my house, I pulled into my yard/private way, and got out of the car. We stood there talking, and for some reason (I don't even remember at this point), we needed light for a minute. I unlocked the car with the fob, and asked one of my friends to turn the lights on. He sat in the drivers seat, and turned them on. A minute or so later, I told him to turn them off, which he did. Then...

"How do I get this off?" He says. I walk over to the open drivers door, and he's fiddling with/pointing to the parking brake pedal. I didn't feel like crawling under the dash to find the little manual release lever. "Just start the car, put your foot on the brake, and put in in reverse or drive" I said (can you tell where this is going yet?).

I stood there, talking to my other friend, waiting for the one in the car to release the brake, and give me my keys back. My friend outside the car was holding my mastiff on his leash, and he (the dog) must have thought I was going to get in the car and leave, so he dragged my friend over to the car with him. Just as They get to where I'm standing, I hear the car start....... and almost immediately, the door hits me in the arm..... And keeps on going. Yup, the car is in reverse, and dragging me along with it.

DUDE! THE BRAKE, THE BRAKE!! HIT THE BRAKE!!! The car continued to accelerate. As I'm yelling at my friend, clutching onto the door so I don't get "sucked" under, I'm not thinking of what happened. My friend is significantly shorter than me, and could barely reach the pedals. When he pressed the brake, it was enough to trigger the shift interlock, but not enough to apply any braking force whatsoever. I also didn't realize that somehow, Sam's (my dog) leash, which was attached to his harness, AND wrapped around my friends arm, had gotten caught on the door. The 3 of us are now being dragged at about 10 miles an hour (my alley has a slight incline) towards the street. :hopeless:

About 10 or 15 yards into this "trip" the door lets go of the leash, which is good. But at about the same time, my right boot came off, which is bad..... when you're skiing backwards on a gravel road (Ever step on a Lego? Yeah, this was much worse). After about 20 yards, my friend in the car (who is panicking), manages to scoot forward enough to reach the brake, and LUCKILY, shut the car off..... Luckily, because at the same instant, my car hits, and plows over, a 4" steel pipe/barrier at the end of my alley, which was enough of a bump to knock him away from the pedals.

It was also enough of a bump to cause me to lose my now weakened grip on the top of the door. I go down, but grabbed the door pull (I think). As the car comes to a stop, we make it onto the street. And to add insult to injury, I lost my pants in the last 10' or so, and scraped my ass on the asphalt (no pun intended).

My car stopped about 5 or 6 feet from a parked car, so there was no "real" accident, but there's still damage. The rear bumper is, surprisingly, only scratched and slightly deformed where it came into contact with the pole. Luckily, the base of it was rusted enough that it kind of just "broke away". The bumper cover will still have to be replaced, but at least there's no structural damage (when I stood up and saw the pole on the ground, I was expecting telephone pole-like damage to the rear)

The worst part is the drivers door. It's misaligned pretty badly, and the "window frame" is bent away from the roof and pillar.

When my friend finishes his classes tomorrow, we're taking a ride to the body shop...

OP
OP

feeny1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'21 Canyon Denali LB, ‘19 ATS-V
Well the body shop finally had a chance to start taking things apart and came up with a preliminary estimate of $27k parts and labor before they have looked at the under side of the car on a lift. The shop said there is actually a spot on the front frame rails that appear to be designed as a repair point. The crumple zones did exactly what they were supposed to do, and everything behind the crumple area appears to be good. The engine did not get damaged, and no oil leaks in the 2 weeks it has been sitting at their shop. The look from underneath may uncover some more issues from when she hit and rolled over the curb, but it sounds like the car did exactly what it was supposed to do in a front end collision. The guy at the shop was happy to see that the engine will not have to come out to do the repairs.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If the under body inspection pans out the car should be good as new when fixed.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Well the body shop finally had a chance to start taking things apart and came up with a preliminary estimate of $27k parts and labor before they have looked at the under side of the car on a lift. The shop said there is actually a spot on the front frame rails that appear to be designed as a repair point. The crumple zones did exactly what they were supposed to do, and everything behind the crumple area appears to be good. The engine did not get damaged, and no oil leaks in the 2 weeks it has been sitting at their shop. The look from underneath may uncover some more issues from when she hit and rolled over the curb, but it sounds like the car did exactly what it was supposed to do in a front end collision. The guy at the shop was happy to see that the engine will not have to come out to do the repairs.
Actually pretty good news.
I‘ll bet you’re less likely to sell it now 😉

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Yikes... expensive mistake. Sorry man!

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
so is this covered under collision or comprehensive?

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
C947E1AE-A226-4C8E-B118-6987EB85B6AF.jpeg

This was 25k in 2020…they had to put a rear 1/4 on too
Sponsored